Strategic Withdrawal in New Season: Exploit or Legit?

+
Stop this pls (Damien in seasonal)

Буфер обмена01.jpg

Post automatically merged:

Буфер обмена01.jpg

Last edited:
Imagine his face when you igni/scorch them
Only works on the ones who are dumb enough (obviously the 2nd opponent in the pictures) not to run engines or a defender to pick up and and play its battle prep on the Emhyr boosted copy. It's one of those decks where you can easily beat dumb netdeckers with tech, but will have a very weak deck going into R2/R3 if your opponent does know what to pick up. Forfiet R1 before any cards are played is the only surefire counter to this cheese. Even then it doesn't stop them from playing it.

Only works on the ones who are dumb enough (obviously the 2nd opponent in the pictures) not to run engines or a defender to pick up and and play its battle prep on the Emhyr boosted copy. It's one of those decks where you can easily beat dumb netdeckers with tech, but will have a very weak deck going into R2/R3 if your opponent does know what to pick up. Forfiet R1 before any cards are played is the only surefire counter to this cheese. Even then it doesn't stop them from playing it.
Yeah I know, the second one was the reason of my comment. I made the same point previously about the fact that if it's played properly, nothing can be done about it. Apart forfeiting. Or, for the first time since the beginning of Gwent, I found myself roping.

Yeah I know, the second one was the reason of my comment. I made the same point previously about the fact that if it's played properly, nothing can be done about it. Apart forfeiting. Or, for the first time since the beginning of Gwent, I found myself roping.
Yeah, I found the same thing myself. Usually when seeing a potential answer, then calculating if it will work, realising that even though it would in normal mode, it won't because defender+copy of Damien back in hand, then accepting forfiet is the only way out. Opposed to the other guy roping because he's trying to remember the correct sequence of activating Damien, playing Vilgefortz and making sure he has Damien ready to activate next turn.... I don't know if you play MTGA, but watching a lot of these Damien players is like watching Witch's Oven netdeckers fumblefuck their way through each turn...

I was trying to see about doing the seasonal stuff, and came across this, and now the time to win the 30 seasonal rounds make me think that doing anything else with my time is a better option. Putting cool cardbacks behind such painwalls is sad

No, I am a big MtG player but the physical game. Is Arena good?
I tend to play more MTGA than Gwent these days. Both games have their good and bad points, particularly broken, oppressive decks, but overall I find where I tend to get matched, I don't see wall to wall netdecks. Casual in particular feels more like a casual, experimental mode. Probably the biggest flaw is that the best of one format tends to produce more binary matchups since you don't have the option of using a side board the same way you would in best of three. Economy isn't too bad. Probably the biggest shock coming from Gwent is the wildcard system. Instead of scrapping and crafting whatever card you want, MTGA uses a wildcard system for crafting. So it's something like every 6 packs opened gets you an uncommon wildcard and 30 packs opened for 1 rare to mythic. When I started playing, it was frustrating not being able to mill my cards and build a competitive deck. Over time I've come to see it as being a measure that keeps netdecking in check in all but the top ranks.

F2P economy isn't too bad either. I'd put it on par with Gwent in terms of earning in game currency to get packs, enter drafts, get some cosmetics and buy a mastery pass. It's also a bit simpler than Gwent, since it only has gems and coins. Daily quests can be a little grindy, with things like "Play 30 creatures", or "Play 30 red or blue spells." That said, there's no quests that require you win with specific faction/color identities. Official forum community tends to run negative though...

DRK3

Forum veteran
I know not everyone has a lot of time available to play, but here's my advice for future seasons:

play seasonal as soon as it comes out, if you want to complete seasonal quests. In the first few days people are still figuring it out and also there's more variety, i was able to get the cardback easily and only faced a single of those Damien decks, because at that time, that strategy was still being figured out and wasnt popular yet.

Guest 4368268

I've been very critical of design choices and balancing decisions coming from the devs but honestly a specific portion of the playerbase deserves criticism more than anyone or anything else.

A gimmicky seasonal mode will always have some 'abusable' decks in it, a big problem lies with a certain kind of player being so eager to capitalize on it. I imagine it's the same people that abused the traveling merchant bug and that netdeck in casual and scare new players away.

Unfortunately these people form a problem that's impossible to fix. Try hard/troll mentality is why besides Gwent I generally don't bother with online modes whatsoever.
The only thing I can say about it is I wish they'd keep the achievement/goal oriented gameplay (win *X* amount of rounds etc.) for ranked mode.

Right now, 50% of my seasonal games against Nilfgaard and the other 50% against beginners, who just don't have enough scraps to craft Damien.
The solution is simple, developers should add approved pre-made decks to choose from in the Seasonal games.
It will be even more fun if the cards will have abilities that are not in the main game, like Thronebreaker cards.

Got the cardback. Won't be touching the reward book for the frame. Just the thought of having play another 6 matches in one of the shittiest seasonal metas ever is enough to kill what's left of my enthusiasm for Gwent.

Unfortunately these people form a problem that's impossible to fix. Try hard/troll mentality is why besides Gwent I generally don't bother with online modes whatsoever.
The only thing I can say about it is I wish they'd keep the achievement/goal oriented gameplay (win *X* amount of rounds etc.) for ranked mode.

Gwent pretty much encourages it with the ability to download these decks to your library. The hardest part, if you've got the cards needed, is scrolling through all the try-hard reposts of the deck. As for rewards, yeah the old two-tier rewards for casual and ranked did seem to work better. Plenty of other games use similar to give more incentive for competitive players to play in those queues than curb-stomping everyone in casual.

Right now, 50% of my seasonal games against Nilfgaard and the other 50% against beginners, who just don't have enough scraps to craft Damien.
The solution is simple, developers should add approved pre-made decks to choose from in the Seasonal games.
It will be even more fun if the cards will have abilities that are not in the main game, like Thronebreaker cards.

After tonight, I'm really struggling to see what's so great about Gwent's gameplay. NR boost'n'ping spam decks seem to drive themselves with little input from the player. NG Damien decks are painful no matter how skilled the player is at sequencing steps. Good and bad players hit the rope every turn once they get to the pick units up stage. ST self-drives with harmony, leaving the choice of what to poison to the player. SK, SY and MO are hardly seen in this seasonal.

The only problem I can see with your idea is that CDPR abandoned a similar idea with the old seasonal challenges mode. If you played during open beta, you might remember the holiday event puzzle modes, which were similar to what you see in Thronebreaker. Moving into HC, CDPR said they wouldn't continue them, as it was too time consuming for them to code essentially new cards for those events. Unless CDPR has had a change of heart, then the middle ground would be for them to have preconstructed decks from the existing pool. That said, they could always release a set similar to MTG's 'Unhinged' series - a set of cards with offbeat abilities and only legal in casual and seasonal modes.

Top Bottom