Strategies against Monster decks

+
Strategies against Monster decks

Hey there fellow ST players,

Recently whenever I get matched up against monster decks I have trouble keeping up with their cards. I'm currently at 2.2k+ raked. Most of them run weather strats with Dagon which can be very annoying but the problem for me comes from the monster cards themselves. I try to counter their little monster power increases with Dimeritium Bomb or Scortch but it simply does not help. So here I am asking for advice on how you deal with decks of such sort.

Examples of decks that I get matched against:
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/15803-good-guy-geels-token
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/15807-wes-great-grave-hag-guide-4500-mmr
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/3503-foglet-combo
(the decks I took are from the database and are only to be used as an example where the player decks may vary)

My own current ST deck is added to the post.

So, any advice against monster decks in the case of my deck / in general?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo126170.png
    photo126170.png
    622.8 KB · Views: 109

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
I would remove 1 Blue Mountain Commando because they can be dead cards. Next, running 2 sappers should be enough. Also, remove Nature's Gift (for Yaevinn), because it's too random, especially with Mercs. Finally, switch out Milva for Ciri (or something else). To fill the bronze void, you can take Hawker Smuggler, though you have to be careful with Scorch.

Alternatively, you could take Schirru or Ida Emean for some spell counters.

4RM3D
A little bit off-topic, but how do you effectively use Yaevinn in a any way? What little experience I've had with the card was very unsuccessful and only a major setback power-wise. The only way I can see it be of use is if you win the first round and use it as a throwaway card in the second one to gain an advantage in hand size.

Additionally, I feel like Ciri is lackluster compared to Milva considering the large amount of lock cards that people use in their decks. Milva however can give another use of a Dragoon buff plus returning an opponents buffed unit, returning it to their base value.

Anyways, thanks a bunch for the feedback!

*cough* Monsters are still a problem *cough*

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Yaevinn is indeed usually meant to be used in the 2nd round when you've won the first. But he still has some other uses. He can also serve as Igni bait when there are no other targets. Another way to use him is to trick the opponent into passing, while you still have a power swing card in hand (e.g. Scorch). Incidentally, he also serves as a deck thinner.

Milva has her uses, just like Ciri. I've tried running Milva with Roach which was okay. However, in practice, I usually don't get in the situation where I can take full advantage of Milva.

My short recipe for Monsters: Ithlinne, Epidemic, Aglais (for some more Epidemic), Saskia, Eithne to repeat all of the above and paying attention to your CA.

gangrel6;n8350050 said:
My short recipe for Monsters: Ithlinne, Epidemic, Aglais (for some more Epidemic), Saskia, Eithne to repeat all of the above and paying attention to your CA.
Also, Dwarves. Don't let them recover after round 1.

Although, I might not be the most experienced ST player, I believe that your current list still has some room for improvements:

I would cut:
-1 DBomb (a little too situational and not needed, if your plan is to burn faces anyway)
-1 Sapper (2 Should be enough)
-1 DSackles (same reason as DBomb)
-1 Blue Mountain Commando (can be a dead card if not paired with Dragoon)
-1 Iorveth (The 13pt power-swing is not overwhelming since he can't hit Golds anymore)

I would add:
+1 First Light (its simply wrong to not play the whole 3x Merch, 3x FL package)
+1 Roach (to combo with Milva for CA. you also only have 5Silvers in your current Deck)
+1 Yaevinn (for additional CA)
+1 Isengrimm (provides much more tempo in R1, when compared to Iorveth. You typically want to win R1 and bleed your opponent out in R2 with Ciaran, Yaevinn for additional CA)
+1 Manticore Venom (very useful against Henselt and additional beef for Isengrimm)

You can also try Villentrethenmereth instead of GIgni or Milva. With ST passive and Ciaran, Yaevinn you should be able to easily secure CA in R3. For that Villentrethenmereth can create huge swings :)

KoB is also an option to thin your deck with Merch-Chain

Hope that was helpful. GL beating those monsters!

Last edited:
I play with monsters and i hate scoiatel, its OP as hell. Milva retuns Roach on hand and gains an extra card!
Roach should not be alowed to be used by the gold card, same thing hapens with Kayran but it doesnt compensate that extracard...

Pruny;n8386920 said:
I play with monsters and i hate scoiatel, its OP as hell. Milva retuns Roach on hand and gains an extra card!
Roach should not be alowed to be used by the gold card, same thing hapens with Kayran but it doesnt compensate that extracard...
This is the only way you can play Milva now, unfortunately. If you take that from her, it's a dead card. They will have to rework it from scratch, which if you think about it doesn't sound as a bad idea.

HenryGrosmont;n8397840 said:
This is the only way you can play Milva now, unfortunately. If you take that from her, it's a dead card. They will have to rework it from scratch, which if you think about it doesn't sound as a bad idea.

Sometimes, for shits and giggles, I like to play an ST deck that opens with Prize Winning Cow followed by Milva. With Decoy, Nature's Gift, Aglais, and Eithne, just to flood the board with Chorts.

Milva can return Katacan also. Hell i just played like 15 consecutive games against scoiatel...
i hate Scorch ...

HenryGrosmont;n8398780 said:
Griffin...

NOOO DON'T TELL THEM THE SECRET

Griffin is horrible guys, don't play it, its just a 7str useless siege unit without any ability, why would you play it, it just clogs up your hand and you will always get it t3 instead of that sweet grave hag. i repeat DO NOT PLAY GRIFFIN.

If I were you I would go look at Panda's Scoi Tael deck or swim's, they have good amounts of control and tend to work fine vs monsters. If I had to edit your deck, I would remove all Blue Mountain Commandos for Archers, you should also run 3 first lights so your mercenaries can have a higher chance at fishing for them than your other spells that may be inconsistant.

Here is Panda's decklist: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/16282-top-10-pandas-st-control-archers

Here is swim's decklist: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/16122-swims-budget-scoiatael-guide

As funny as this sounds ive yet to encounter a monster deck to counter my dwarfs one. never played such a fun deck.

slycp3;n8661200 said:
As funny as this sounds ive yet to encounter a monster deck to counter my dwarfs one. never played such a fun deck.

Agreed, I love being able to play an almost full dwarf deck :D
As for weather focused monsters deck, here is my love letter to them : ..!..
thefinger.jpg

Top Bottom