Strategies to counter Nilfgaard?

+
Hi! I can't post normally because of the 10 post requirement but I'm interested in asking something, here it goes:

Is there a way to beat Nilfgaard with a different faction in the current seasonal event? I play the game ocasionally, came back after around 2 months and I normally play with two northern realms decks, one focused mostly in mages and one combining mages and dragons, I don't know if those are any good but i like the cards, in standard mode I get good results, but in the current seasonal event "Entrench" I haven't won.

I have only played against Nilfgaard in the Entrench mode (I suppouse cause is the always win faction). So let me know if there are any recommendations, tutorials, discussions on creative decks that can beat Nilfgaard in the event.

BTW I know there are only 4 days left in the event but I really feel like playing right now and don't want to lose the impulse on account of Nilfgaard.

Last edited:
One of my suggestions is build a deck that has more purifies to remove the resilience of your opponents. The problem your facing is usually the NG decks that play entrenched are all the same: have a lot of removal, purify your resilience away, especially with Caretaker, etc. I've seen a couple NR decks in seasonal, but again, most of them are the same in that they are the charge/boost combo.

I hardly play seasonal mode, only did so for Journey quest, so hopefully someone with more seasonal experience can elaborate further.

Well, I didn't play much Seasonal this month since Entrench was my least favorite one to date, but I had decent success with Monsters, using Vampires alongside some other cards which Purify enemy units, like Naglfar's Taskmaster. You could also try Syndicate; Albertus Kalkstein seems like it would be good, and you would have access to a lot of cheap Poison, just like Nilfgaard. No matter your deck, you should probably be using Caretaker and/or Siegfried of Denesle.

Admittedly, Nilfgaard is probably the best Faction for Entrench because they have access to a lot of Purifying, their Poison can run rampant, and Thirsty Dame is simply broken (just like it was in Viper). It would be nice if Assimilate wasn't the go to choice for half the Seasonal modes, but I doubt CDPR will ever devote any time or effort to improving them.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@TheMrEstrada First of all, dont assume a good deck on regular modes will be good on seasonals, that is rarely the case.

Second, you can check my thread, a lot of suggestions and tips there:

You can still use any faction you want, and most decks still work, but a part of your seasonal deck must be dedicated to countering and purifying the opponent or you will lose everytime.

I ran a ST deck with a lot of cheap poisons and threw Maraal in there. He usually gets answered quick but at least he leaves another poison on the board for a bronze dryad to clean up. A couple cheap artifacts from ST can be usual too if you're on blue coin. Make NG make the first move and then you hit them with some purifies or poisons. Nothing auto-win here but should get a couple extra wins. And I completely agree that NG dominates the seasonals and its really obnoxious, least favortie faction, so glad it gets crushed in standard play.

Thanks for your replies. The opinions and suggestions were very helpful!

I guess that I had to give the game a little more thought, although the Entrench mode has definately not been one of my favorites. In the end I managed to win a few times against all factions with a well thought NR deck.

I actually changed the deck I use in normal mode too, hopefully the next expansion will encourage me to play a little more than usually.

Top Bottom