Street Cred as Class Upgrades

+
So I've posted this on Reddit before, but it didn't get much traction. I was hoping maybe this could lead to some discussion, even if its just criticism (though hopefully, constructive at least). This would also tie in to other ideas that I might create threads for later, if people are interested or if I have time, so some parts not might make sense in the context of the current game.

ISSUE
I don't think Street Cred is a useful system in its current state as a way to just gate jobs, cars, and cyberware. Not a new criticism of the game either: people have wanted it tied to background dialogue, a faction reputation system, or just general noteriety of the player. And I'm not saying that these things shouldn't be tied to these things, but SC should do more than just gate things or give you faction points. Having high SC should be connected in making the player feel cool in a way that suits their style of gameplay. Your SC is tied to the abilities that your character can do over just completing some jobs, killing some no names.

A SOLUTION
What I think would be interesting is that SC was connected to creating a character's class. It would require that the skill system to be changed and altered to fit in a new system, but I think it could be worth it. it would be two systems to improving your character: the normal skill system focusing on stat upgrades and general gameplay mechanics (similar to the Witcher's skill tree, ignoring the mid-/late-skills) while the SC class system would introduce new mechanics that are tied to a certain gameplay style/class, maybe every other level to make it feel like a more special upgrade.

That way, you could improve your skills (to the point that your attributes allow you: as an analogue to a natural limit) to allow for competency while the character class focuses on improving your gameplay style so you have some new ways of playing. In theory, a Solo build could still have competent tech skills to hack into high level access points for cash (I hate having to dedicate points for getting loot) but have the core aspects of being a Solo. Of course, I think it should be somewhat connected to skill levels, so you couldn't have a netrunner able to use suicide without high technical skills, but it may open up some opportunities for cross-builds (e.g. corpo samurai). It doesn't necessarily have to be to this exact formula, but I think by combining class upgrades to SC it 1) provides SC a use beyond gear and job gating, 2) allows better refinement of character and gameplay style, 3) rewards gameplay with more gameplay, and 4) ties cool mechanics with reputation.

EXAMPLE
A netrunner class would bascially act as a wizard in the sense of gameplay. The gameplay style would focus on quickhacks (quick offensive attacks), hardhacks (ones that require being connected to an access point for system wide hacks), and countermeasures (like a firewall against other netrunners), all while generally staying away from combat but able to throw quickhacks to get away. One class upgrade could be giving the player the suicide QH (as it shouldn't be something you could just buy off the street, something you actually earn), with an additional points allowing it to spread like a virus.

CLASSES SO FAR
  • Solo: Combat Expert - combat and parkour abilities (e.g. able to throw some objects without the use of Gorilla arms, dual-wielding in Sandevistan, etc.)
  • Netrunner: Wyrm Wizard - strong quickhacks/counter-cyberhacks, system-wide hardware hacks
  • Techie: Versatile Improviser - able to quickly create unique explosives (e.g. smart, cluster grenade via quickcrafting menu), unique Flathead/drone improvements, powerful environment interactions (e.g. changing a fire barrel into a shock barrel)
  • Fixer: Manipulating Dealer - benefits from staying out of the fighting using charm and manipulation (e.g. able to turn enemies against each other, extra temporary companions/drone, a projectile "defense" system), works for a pacifist build but more edgy and cruel for the Cyberpunk world
  • Rocker: Glass Martyr - being a glass cannon while in open combat, buffing allies with health loss (e.g. give companions dual-wielding abilities)
  • Nomad: Family Man - special benefits for being around allies, from specific allies, and technical vehicle improvements
Again, doesn't have to follow this formula but I think it would be an interesting concept to explore in the new Cyberpunk. Adding more RPG to what should be an RPG game.

Edits: Just generally adding on to what I wanted to post but accidently posting early because of mixing up hot keys. I'm new to this "online forum discussion" thing. I'm more used to just posting a list of things on my Google Sheets file.

Last edited:
I agree that Street Cred is an underutilized system and could be way cooler. When I first heard about it as an alternative experience system I was like... this could be really awesome.

I do think that it should still unlock certain jobs, missions, clothing options, etc. But I agree that it would also be neat if it somehow tied into the skill system and things like that. Like you can pick whatever skills you want, but need a certain level of SC to unlock a slightly more powerful or robust version.

I really think in future games it would be cool to start out dealing with low level, shady fixers and teams... but as you build your street cred you get into the big leagues and unlock more reputable fixers, bigger jobs, better teammates, etc.

I also really think the fixers should have been the major hubs and vendors in the game too - with them having things you can buy being unlocked by how much cred you build with them and overall, stuff like that.

It has a lot of potential - hope they keep exploring it in this game and expand on it big time in future entries in the franchise.

Street cred can been fixed with one simple trick™ - adding ability to lose it. You fuck up a mission? Minus to cred. You assault civilians? Minus to cred. And so on. If it was a dynamic and reactive system, it could've been an actual mechanic - somewhat akin to "humanity" from VtMB.

This is also a great idea for future games. Have different tiers to it and stuff like that.

You get assigned a mission to recover some stolen property and a hostage from a gang of goons. Fixer prefers no violence to keep it quiet.

Complete it without being seen? 150 Street Credit
Complete it without bloodshed (Talk yourself out of it)? 125 Street Cred
Complete it with bloodshed, but still getting the hostage and property? 50 Street Cred
Complete it, but the hostage dies? -25 Street Cred
Complete it, but the property is damaged? -25 Street Cred
Complete it, but take the property (some kind of good equipment) for your own? -50 Street Cred
The goons bribe you to leave it be, but they give you some powerful weapon and kill the hostage? -150 Street Cred, but you get the cool weapon from them

Street cred can been fixed with one simple trick™ - adding the ability to lose it. You fuck up a mission? Minus to cred. You assault civilians? Minus to cred. And so on. If it was a dynamic and reactive system, it could've been an actual mechanic - somewhat akin to "humanity" from VtMB.
Definitely think something like this could help, but it doesn't really add much to improving gameplay. I don't really care for a factions/reputation point system if all it does is add some background dialogue by general NPCs or to specific factions. Kind of like FNV where there was a faction points counter but pretty much faction decisions were what guided both the story and basically adding on the counter (e.g. NCR decisions basically meant high NCR points in the end). I'd rather have something that both adds on to gameplay and complements the cool aspect of what Cyberpunk is trying to achieve, atmospherically.
Post automatically merged:

Street cred can been fixed with one simple trick™ - adding the ability to lose it. You fuck up a mission? Minus to cred. You assault civilians? Minus to cred. And so on. If it was a dynamic and reactive system, it could've been an actual mechanic - somewhat akin to "humanity" from VtMB.
Actually, now that I remember: I actually think that "Empathy" in more CPRed terms should be connected to the Cool attribute, but more like in a multi-system as "Composure": allowing you to equip more cyberware without less risk of cyberpsychosis OR skills rewarding you for having LESS cyberware ORR allowing more benefits from being in a state of cyberpsychosis. Again, a revamp of the Cool skill system is a separate thread on its own but I think could also tie in to SC like how you're describing it. Maybe it could benefit by reducing the amount of cyberpsychosis from killing civs or failing missions.

Last edited:
Definitely think something like this could help, but it doesn't really add much to improving gameplay. I don't really care for a factions/reputation point system if all it does is add some background dialogue by general NPCs or to specific factions. Kind of like FNV where there was a faction points counter but pretty much faction decisions were what guided both the story and basically adding on the counter (e.g. NCR decisions basically meant high NCR points in the end). I'd rather have something that both adds on to gameplay and complements the cool aspect of what Cyberpunk is trying to achieve, atmospherically.
Oh, absolutely, FNV reputation system is a complete joke. I meant something a little more robust, with new dialogues and possible ways to complete the main missions, for example.
Actually, now that I remember: I actually think that "Empathy" in more CPRed terms should be connected to the Cool attribute, but more like in a multi-system as "Composure": allowing you to equip more cyberware without less risk of cyberpsychosis OR skills rewarding you for having LESS cyberware ORR allowing more benefits from being in a state of cyberpsychosis. Again, a revamp of the Cool skill system is a separate thread on its own but I think could also tie in to SC like how you're describing it. Maybe it could benefit by reducing the amount of cyberpsychosis from killing civs or failing missions.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with tabletop, so if there is some other attribute that fills the niche I'm talking about, I wasn't aware about it.
The cyberpsychosis is a bit of a tricky topic for me, because on one hand, from what I've heard, the reasoning behind it is to prevent players from using every possible cyberware at once, which I'm not exactly fan of due to my desire of making characters as broken and OP as possible within any given build. And on the other hand, the implications of slowly losing your sanity due to different actions are extremely interesting and should be absolutely explored in one way or another.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with tabletop, so if there is some other attribute that fills the niche I'm talking about, I wasn't aware about it.
The cyberpsychosis is a bit of a tricky topic for me, because on one hand, from what I've heard, the reasoning behind it is to prevent players from using every possible cyberware at once, which I'm not exactly fan of due to my desire of making characters as broken and OP as possible within any given build. And on the other hand, the implications of slowly losing your sanity due to different actions are extremely interesting and should be absolutely explored in one way or another.
I agree: I don't think it should be entirely detrimental. It should be risk v. reward type situation where you could use it OR could avoid it, depending on your gameplay style. Again, different thread but to tie it to this one: you could also have Cool skills to increase the risk of cyberpsychosis from killing civilians without the loss of SC that could come from it. Maybe even reward it with SC with an increase of notoriety from police. As with my suggestion, gameplay should try to be as versatile and rewarding as possible for different styles of gameplay. Players should feel like they can play around with different builds that best resonate with how they like playing their game.

Top Bottom