Street Cred needs an overhaul.

+
Being underleveled for the world at large is very different from being physically blocked from entering the world at large.
I am strongly against level-based progression in the first place, so can't say Ive found many games to my liking. AC Odyssey did it right though. No limitations, and level scaling. You could literally go anywhere you wanted, and enemies were scaled to you. Still best option would be to focus progression on just stats, skills, money and gear and forget levels completely.
I agree for fallout, but it's just to emphasize the fact that there is always a system in place to limit the player in certain area (well in most cases).
AC Odyssey (ACO), you start on little island (restrited area). After leaving this little piece of land, for me, it's not better, not worst, it's just different. An beautiful open world, lot of loots, lot of exploration, it's all good for me :)

Edit : I think another little detail, in my first playtrougth i spent too much time in watson before "the heist". Now, i "rush" the Act 1 directly whitout doing anything. And after that, the world is mine. No restriction apart strong enemies and StreetCred (who up pretty quick), but i can go everywhere i want, visit all vendors, ripperdocs,... :)

Last edited:
The OP is trying to describe a solution, without stating the problem you want to fix. What's the problem you want to fix?

No, it isn't common in my experience and it wasn't good in Witcher either. There is no logical reason for it.
There are many gameplay reasons to limit the starting area. It gives the player a chance to learn the systems in a more controlled environment, while also introducing the story in a somewhat structured way.

Some other examples that do this:

Breath of the Wild
Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest XI
Knights of the Old Republic (I and 2)

I would say that games that don't limit the starting area in some way are the rare exceptions.

For me, Street Cred needs to be based on the burroughs, or districts, of Night City that you are in. Any bonuses or such will only affect you if you have that much Cred in the district.

Perhaps splitting Street Cred into Night City Cred (max 10), based on main quests and certain side quests, and District Cred (max 40), based on all fixer gigs for that district, for the total of 50 (current max). Maybe your overall SC score could be an average of all six districts?

So, the more quests for Pacifica and the VooDoo Boys, the higher your Cred for that area, but it will have no impact on your Cred for Watson. Why would the Tyger Claws in Japantown care a whit about what you did for a rival gang in another district?

Also, along those same lines, I'd like to see gang affiliation/reputation included. Help the Mox, Tyger Claw rep diminishes, help the Animals, the VooDoo Boys rep drops.

This would slow down leveling of this attribute, but perhaps other attributes could be slowed as well,, making it so that you don't max out too early.

Thoughts?
Valid point and sollutions. Another not implemented 'feature' as I see it. It all ties up with the factions and what that could have been...

Top Bottom