Stupid Decisions: First Person Dialogue

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the gameplay being in FPP nor have I changed my mind on buying the game but I feel CDPR have made a mistake by making the dialogue in FPP. Despite adding immersion I feel it actually negatively impacts the narrative and ruins probably the best chance to see our customization. I feel like I will find it difficult to engage with the character of V if I can't see his/her face. The face is pretty much the window to the soul, it is the source of the majority of our human emotion. In the Witcher 3 the reason I cried hearing the Red Barons backstory, was angry when Kiera Metz was burned alive and overjoyed when Ciri became a witcher at the ending was because the cutscenes gave us the ability to see these emotions through Geralt and the characters involved. I definitely believe TPP cutscenes are far more effective. As for customization, cutscenes during dialogue would allow us to see our character enough times to make people happy without putting a damper on immersion.

But as with everything else about the game its probably too late to change it.

Honestly, I think first person dialogue is the way to go. Just because Bethesda didn't do it right, doesn't mean CDPR can't. If done right, 1st person dialogue can be really immersive and innovative, and judging from what he have seen, it works really nicely. Like in the first demos when those Maelstrom thugs were shoving guns in your face, and such, it ups the tension and doesn't detach you from the experience. I feel like when a game suddenly pulls you out of first person for dialogue, it really takes you out of the experience and doesn't flow naturally. First person dialogue allows for much more streamlined gameplay, with control being taken away from the player as infrequently as possible, and blurring the lines between gameplay and storytelling. It also makes it better for things like interrupts- letting situations play out naturally, rather than a really static-feeling back and forth. It's certainly ambitious, but from what we've seen, I think CDPR is most likely up to the task, so I'm all for it!

Of course, they said we will also get third person cutscenes from time to time, probably for moments akin to the ones you mentioned above, like with Ciri waking up in TW3. So I really wouldn't worry about that. Sure, we won't see our characters all the time, but there will be opportunities to see our custom character in action. I get where you're coming from, but I personally think they are going about it the right way.

I liked what I saw in the demos. I liked FPP dialogues - it felt like "being there" and not watching a movie. So I hope that CDPR will stick with that.

Comparing the quality of the FPP dialogue scenes from 2018/2019 Cyberpunk demo with a Fallout game is where you lost me completely.

Both are FPP dialogues on paper, but that is the only thing they have in common.

CDPR nailed it so far with how alive and responsive the dialogues feel, so I'm all up for that.

Uuuuhhhh..super problematic title.

Also just another Perspective Thread. Nope nope nope. Been over this ground lots.

Always turns into a Report Magnet. Going to close for now, may reopen after some consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom