Stuttering during autosave

+
I need to make a thread about my Witcher 3 experiencing severe stuttering when autosave triggers. Witcher 3 is installed on my primary SSD and the Documents folder is stored on a separate hard drive, I believe that saves being stored and written to the separate drive from the game is the issue, but I cannot put Documents on my SSD due to space restrictions. Game will stutter from half a second to a good 4 seconds, game does not crash.

Specs:
GTX 1060 6GB
Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB Ram

Post moved.

This sounds like it could be a configuration issue between the two drives. Most importantly, if using an M.2 drive with a more standard SSD SATA setup, the M.2 usually needs to be the master drive. (It must be the boot drive, and the OS must be running off of it, or it can wreak havoc.) The same could potentially be an issue if the two SSDs are the same type, but of greatly varying speeds or different makes / models.

As it stands, it might be easiest to simply migrate the Documents folder to the same drive as your OS installation. (Normally, the autosave should be almost imperceptible.)

SSD is my primary (boot) drive. SSD is 500GB with a guaranteed 500mb read and write speed, and my hard drive is a 2TB 7200rpm drive. As I said, I would like to keep my documents folder on the HDD to conserve space on my SSD. Is there a way to tell the game to use a different directory for game saves?

SSD is my primary (boot) drive. SSD is 500GB with a guaranteed 500mb read and write speed, and my hard drive is a 2TB 7200rpm drive. As I said, I would like to keep my documents folder on the HDD to conserve space on my SSD.

Ahhh -- probably exactly the same situation, but the problem is the speed difference between the SSD and the HDD. The game will be "streaming" assets from the SSD to RAM...but it will need to slow way, waaay, waaaaaay down to save the game to the HDD.

Two options:

1.) Either move the Documents back to the SSD...

or...

2.) Try moving your virtual memory to the HDD as well. While this may not work at all...it might also mitigate or erase the stuttering.

(Personally, I'd go for "option 1.)". You really want games as big and complex as TW3, Fallout 4, [Whatever] Total War, Elite: Dangerous, ArmA [XYZ], etc. to be running exclusively on an SSD. They need to move large packets of data around on-demand...so it serves no purpose at all to run any part of these games on slower drives.

I'd recommend using the HDD for general storage and to run games that are less than 20 GB when installed. As a ballpark.

Is there a way to tell the game to use a different directory for game saves?

Depends entirely on the game. Many (if not most) will use a file structure somewhere under ...\[UserAccount]\Documents...

Some...interesting...(read: annoying)...titles will hide their saves somewhere under the AppData directory. (I am not a fan nor a supporter of this, as it's both cheeky and prone to stupid errors.)

Older games will normally have a 'Saved Game' folder right in the installation directory. This is perfectly fine, but I actually like the Documents approach better, as it works (in practice) sort of like an auto-backup. If the game is saved in the installation directory, there's always a good chance that an accidental modifiction to the installation could corrupt the saved game data.

Last edited:
Top Bottom