Stuttering issue related to Shader Cache (AMD Radeon) in Witcher 3

+
hello guys. Since you are planning an update for Witcher 3 Wild hunt...

There is an issue related to Shader Cache. If its disabled in GPU driver, game will stutter when loading new object - which is expected. If its enabled, game will stutter once for each new object.

Now in AMD Radeon drivers this setting is currently invisible in the menu, but in registry its set to 31 - AMD Optimized. Few years ago, if this setting was used, the game was perfectly smooth, now however loading a new object (mostlly NPC) always cause stutter once, when the shader is pre-compiled and stored on the hard drive.

You can reproduce the issue, simply by clearing shader cache in Catalyst and then loading the game, while it seems to be more visible in Blood and Wine DLC (Anywhere in Beauclair). Locations like Novigrad and Velen seems to be unaffected.

System:
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900x
AMD Radeon VII
32gb DDR4 3200MHz Quad Channel
Windows 10 x64 PRO
NVMe Samsung 970 PRO

Is there anything that can be done with it? Thanks.

I can't really say much about it and I don't have an AMD PC to test it myself.

If you like you can reach out to CDPR support here
(click on Contact Us to send a ticket)

However, aside form verify/repair (https://support.cdprojektred.com/en...ical/issue/649/verify-integrity-of-game-files) trying a different AMD driver version might be the best solution. I don't think there's going to be another patch for the current version of the game anytime soon. And it might take a long while until the Next-Gen-Edition is ready...

The driver where this issue wasnt ocurring was back in 2019, however since then I performed few BIOS upgrades, and its no longer possible to use older driver (Resizable BAR).

Also AMD is also not keen to change things for Witcher 3.

The only workaround now is to play for like one hour and most of it will fix.

Top Bottom