Such an uninspired disappointing story

+
Such an uninspired disappointing story

I'm sitting here as the credits roll by, and I have this awful disappointed feeling inside. Witcher 3's story is not half of what Witcher 2 had to offer. I can't understand why I haven't seen any reviews mention how awfully cliche and mechanical most parts of the main story were. The only scene which I thought Witcher 3 rivaled the complexity, pathos and maturity of its precursor was the meeting between Geralt and Ciri (which was a tricky thing to do correctly). The rest of the main quest consisted of asking meandering about this impressive world, performing minute tasks, delving into favours after favours. In fact it got so ridiculous, that the writers had to even point out the ludicrousness of the whole situation. I believe the bard Priscilla remarks on the fact Geralt has to find Guy 1 in order to find Guy 2 in order to find Guy 3 in order to find Ciri. This is not cohesive story-telling! There's no pacing and the first and second acts drag on forever without the narrative ever flowing properly.

It seems as if the writers had a check-list of all the things they wanted to shove into the story, rather than having a well-paced, well designed narrative as was the case in Witcher 2 (mostly). The most egregious of sins is randomly adding bloat that had no purpose other than to be a throwback to fans of the polish novels. The Emperor, Fringilla Vigo and Laux-Antille are the worst cases of characters appearing without a great point or purpose. They are the dialogue-equivalent of stone walls and high-handed name-drops.

But the final quest is by far the worst piece of narrative design that's come out of CD Projekt Red. A deus ex machina plot device in the sunstone, a hurried quest to gather sorceresses whose contribution we never see and seems trivial, two random boss-fights who have no character and thus rob us of the joy of defeating them, an unnecessary last-minute betrayal suspicion. And of course, the very worst sin in story-telling: we do not see the resolution! As if the sun-stone was not deux-ex machina enough, they introduced the threat of Ithilienne's prophecy, which had not been foreshadowed to any acceptable degree, and was a ball thrown out of left field. And even with this awkwardly inserted, final foe, we do not see the pivotal moment in the story that brings about the end. I don't see how people find this to be good storytelling!

Sorry if this is overly long. But does anyone else feel the same? I am shocked about how many narrative faux-pas were made by the writers, and how ignored they have been from general critique. I get that Geralt-Ciri relationship was supposed to be the driving pathos in the story rather than the colder story of Witcher 2 (which by all means is a medieval equivalent to an international thriller novel), but the story just trips up over itself, and ends up looking like the story served the world it inhabited, and not the other way around. Very, very disappointed. How do others feel on the main story - the final quest in particular?

well i prefered the w2 story too but i do knew it would be the geralt ciri story. so i was fine with that. the one feeling i didnt got was closure. it is the last game, but it didnt felt like that i could say goodbye to characters. (zoltan, dandelion, the lodge, squirrels, no idea where yennefer is, since i romanced triss etc). i can understand you, but i do hope either the dlc´s or the expansions will give closure.

Ithlinne's Prophecy is introduced in TW1 when Geralt meets Alvin. Its not exactly like they just made it up, its been something they've been working towards for a while.

I actually agree I mean it wasn't bad just very medicore overall

TW2 had such a complex and intriguing story with lots of different characters who had their own motives, the stakes were higher etc.

I think it confused a lot of people so they dumbed it down for TW3 and made a more straightforward and cliche story
I mean just look at the silly politics in TW3 ...

TW3's story is basically "Find Ciri" through doing favors after favors, the fetching got old real fast
Especially in the last chapter of the trilogy? damm
People didn't notice because it was well hidden

I really liked the Baron questline though, very well written and the Battle of Kaer Morhen was epic, apart from that though the story didn't have many high points

It was basically fan service for book fans and trying to make it standalone so no one gets lost instead of making a true sequel to Assassins of Kings

Too much forcing Yen on us(while shafting Triss the main girl of the first two games) too much focus on Ciri ( hell even the endings are about here..)

People say Bioware writes cliche stories( they do) and CDPR is the more mature one but apart from a few quests TW3's story was a very cliche black and one (the wild hunt were terrible antagonists who were laughable same with Radovid)

I expected a lot more from CDPR that much is clear
Still a great game though, the open world and side quests are very well done

Last edited:
I'm not as disappointed as you are, but i see where you are coming from. Like someone said before, the plot (and conclusion) of the mainstory is the weakest of all 3 games and the weakest part of The Wild Hunt.

I'm no scriptwriter, but this are things i would have liked:

- Pointing out that Eredin isn't just a evil guy, but doing all this to save his people. It is mentioned, but not to the degree it should have been.
- Making the interaction between Ciri and Geralt, and the consequence for the ending a lot more plausible.
- Flashing out the love triangle between Geralt, Yen and Triss - including Ciri's point of view. Not just for some catfight or a threesome sexscenes, but to deepen the conflict and let the characters grow with it. There's a big thread about the lack of romance content with Triss. But, IMHO, just more dialoge with Triss is not going to help. This seems to be such a missed opportunity.
- Probably too controversial: No happy ending without a big price to pay. Stoping the White Frost for good? Only achivable with the death of Ciri. Or, just for example: Spending the the rest of your life with Triss would go hand in hand with alienating Yen and Ciri, ect.

I realy enjoyed the game, and it is without a doubt in my all time top three - and i'm playing rpgs since more than 10 years! But you just have to look at Bloody Baron Questline or (to some degree) the follow up of the regecide to see what could have been. A happy ending by just parenting Ciri the "right" way and killing some dudes in armour is a bit cheap for a witcher game.

Put i don't expect significant changes. So, just give us more good content besides the mainstory and i'll be happy :)

P.s. Please excuse my english, it's not my native tongue.

Last edited:
I'll agree to a certain point.

The wild hunt was not something that came out of the blue or just discussed casually, it was introduced in earlier games and here it appareaded many times, it is seen as the big bad in several instances. The nightmare at the start, on the town the spy was supposed to be, on the quest with Keira, on Ciri's short visit to Skellige Islands, not to mention the whole amnesia plot related to them and the battle at KM especially.

The prophesy itself was something important on the 1st game, but I agree that they didn't dwell on this that much this time around. And yes, it was handled off-screen, I'm guessing it was hard to represent how Ciri would fight the weather.

I'll also agree that these opponents pale in comparison to the ones in W2, foremost among is Letho. He was a great antagonist, given his motivations and how his and Geralt's story intertwined. Plus the options to deal with him were superb and novel.

The dragon to a lesser degree was better, since, depending on choices, we could learn a lot about her.

In short, we fought grey in W2 and pure black in W3.

And yes, I would have loved a better/longer epilogue. Cutscenes and all that jazz.

---------- Updated at 12:23 PM ----------

It seems we were writing at the same time, fully agree with this, except that I do hope for some changes.

Every story is cliche at this point , yes even the W2's , complex political stories have been done to death, it all about execution, you may have been doing favors after favors for information in the w3 ( which totally makes sense because the people you were asking to help you werent exactly your friends cept for a couple of them , so why should they help you without asking for something in return ? ) but the way said favors were executed was praise worthy.

Perhaps this style of story isnt your cup of tea or you are disappointed with the fact that the W3 isnt W2.2 but this game was anything but disappointing in fact its much better than its predecessor. Heck its the best one of the series, at least most people see it that way.

In short, we fought grey in W2 and pure black in W3.

I think that sums it up pretty well. The witcher 2 story simply felt more realistic and 'human' - I for one could relate to many of the choices. The witcher 3 on the other hand at times simply points you in a direction and says: 'look, that's where you have to go', instead of guiding you there organically and/or giving you the choice. This is (probably) inherent to the Geralt regaining his memory and the overall theme of the story - which also invalidated many of our previous choices.

Overall, while the game is now an open world, the story felt far more linear. Is all this a good/bad thing? I don't know, I feel it's simple preference. I for one like both stories, but felt the TW2 story was superior and I had more fun with it.

As far as the ending goes: I think it was was a pretty good/decent ending for TW3, simply not a good ending for the whole trilogy.

Last edited:
Every story is cliche at this point , yes even the W2's , complex political stories have been done to death, it all about execution, you may have been doing favors after favors for information in the w3 ( which totally makes sense because the people you were asking to help you werent exactly your friends cept for a couple of them , so why should they help you without asking for something in return ? ) but the way said favors were executed was praise worthy.

Perhaps this style of story isnt your cup of tea or you are disappointed with the fact that the W3 isnt W2.2 but this game was anything but disappointing in fact its much better than its predecessor. Heck its the best one of the series, at least most people see it that way.

Just because most people see it that way doesn't make it right
I actually agree that TW3 as a game is much better but from a story perspective it pales compared to TW2

It has nothing to do with style, the problem was that the story was just too padded out and fetchy, yes it may seem logical but CDPR is full of great writers who could have wrote it better

It was also too black and white, the wild hunt were just screaming idiots, I mean this just reeks of Bioware writing (same with madman Radovid)
I thought CDPR were better than that

Overall the story is definitely the least fulfilling part of TW3, the open world and side quests are phenomenal though so thats ok

Just because most people see it that way doesn't make it right
I actually agree that TW3 as a game is much better but from a story perspective it pales compared to TW2

It has nothing to do with style, the problem was that the story was just too padded out and fetchy, yes it may seem logical but CDPR is full of great writers who could have wrote it better

It was also too black and white, the wild hunt were just screaming idiots, I mean this just reeks of Bioware writing (same with madman Radovid)
I thought CDPR were better than that

Overall the story is definitely the least fulfilling part of TW3, the open world and side quests are phenomenal though so thats ok

It has everything to do with style , what you call fetchy i call that great , i had a blast having to do something in order to get info on Ciri's whereabouts , could it have been better ? for sure, the politics aspect of it especially , its just not what i would call uninspiring , to each his own though.

I do agree that when talking main quest alone then the W2 win out but keep in mind that its always easier to make a great story in a game that's not open world than the opposite.

What I'm about to say might appear blasphemous to most, but I felt my disappointment with the main story resided in the centralization of Ciri. She's completely op (overpowering) both story & gameplay wise, it makes you wonder why Geralt was even concerned. If anything, Ciri should be the one protecting Geralt & not the other way around.

Finding & protecting Ciri leads to a BioWare esque moment, which I found mildly embarrassing. So, we're protecting this powerhouse from maskcara wearing elves from a different world? Okay. In the end Ciri saves her protectors, so the entirety of the fight (that is, to protect Ciri) was somewhat pointless.

Ciri doesn't need a protector, but the game kept shoehorning the contrary, especially in Geralt's character.

Last edited:
What I'm about to say might appear blasphemous to most, but I felt my disappointment with the main story resided in the centralization of Ciri. She's completely op (overpowering) both story & gameplay wise, it makes you wonder why Geralt was even concerned. If anything, Ciri should be the one protecting Geralt & not the other way around.

Finding & protecting Ciri leads to a BioWare esque moment, which I found mildly embarrassing. So, we're protecting this powerhouse from maskcara wearing elves from a different world? Okay. In the end Ciri saves her protectors, so the entirety of the fight (that is, to protect Ciri) was somewhat pointless.

Ciri doesn't need a protector, but the game kept shoehorning the contrary, especially in Geralt's character.

I actually like Ciri as a character but I agree
TW3 was way too focused on her I thought this was supposed to be Geralt's final chapter ?

Even in the endings they shaft everyone so that Ciri gets her time and there were almost no meaningful choices in the game apart from some silly interactions with Ciri (Snowball fight impacting the ending...wut?)

---------- Updated at 02:33 PM ----------

It has everything to do with style , what you call fetchy i call that great , i had a blast having to do something in order to get info on Ciri's whereabouts , could it have been better ? for sure, the politics aspect of it especially , its just not what i would call uninspiring , to each his own though.

I do agree that when talking main quest alone then the W2 win out but keep in mind that its always easier to make a great story in a game that's not open world than the opposite.

Very true its one of the shortfalls of having a great open world

The story felt lacking in some regards, particularly politics, but I think the emotional heart the relationship with Ciri provides made up for it.

The point is not that favours make sense, its that they do not make for good story-telling when the majority of the main questline is built around it. I don't know what "style" you are talking about but I just don't see how anyone can find this story to be in any way on the same level as Witcher 2. And given that Witcher 2's story was also flawed mainly by an inconsistent third act, this comparison is damning in my books. I waited 2 Acts for the Witcher 3 story to finally take off, and then the 3rd Act ended with a bad taste in my mouth.

Honestly speaking the W3 story: You looking for a grill, then when you find her, you kill the guy who was stalking her
Is that simple enough for you? Maybe you can simplify it even more, or insert it into predefined boundaries, so you can call it cliché and say that you've seen it?
Saying that all people die, doesn't lessen tragedy of death.

The point is not that favours make sense, its that they do not make for good story-telling when the majority of the main questline is built around it. I don't know what "style" you are talking about but I just don't see how anyone can find this story to be in any way on the same level as Witcher 2. And given that Witcher 2's story was also flawed mainly by an inconsistent third act, this comparison is damning in my books. I waited 2 Acts for the Witcher 3 story to finally take off, and then the 3rd Act ended with a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree TW3's story wasn't bad but just very underwhelming as the final chapter of Geralts story
It should have been exciting (even more so than TW2) and not just be "Find Ciri doing some favours for random people, rinse and repeat"

Have you read my previous post at all before replying ? i already said that the w2 main story was better ....and yes i liked this " style" of story telling. Different folks different strokes.

---------- Updated at 03:03 PM ----------

I agree TW3's story wasn't bad but just very underwhelming as the final chapter of Geralts story
It should have been exciting (even more so than TW2) and not just be "Find Ciri doing some favours for random people, rinse and repeat"

Well there is that 30 hrs expansion coming so who knows , that might bring it up a notch.

Well its geralt personal story and search for beloved ones it is perfect for me geralt is here to save daughter, not to enjoy in search, that is why he do silly stuff, maybe politics lack a little but geralt is no superhero anyway, and not in task to save the world, might do so on the way, but not his task.
Ask yourself a little - what would you without thinking really risked your skin for? For ideals ? For a country? Or for someone you care about ? I think the answer here is very simple, game for me gave convincing enough motive of pratogonist, that all kinds of shit that you're doing is justified. Type that crazy shaman, saving his goat of the forest full of wolves so that he provide you the information to rescue daughters or searching baron wife who will not give you the information you need while you do not find his family, which he drove, or you try to solve the robbery of criminal underworld lord because he also has some information to people you care about. And you know what that guy does and you are disgusting to deal with it but doing this, you have a strong enough motive - the fact you care about beloved ones.

Last edited:
Well its geralt personal story and search for beloved ones it is perfect for me geralt is here to save daughter, not to enjoy in search, that is why he do silly stuff, maybe politics lack a little but geralt is no superhero anyway, and not in task to save the world, might do so on the way, but not his task.
Ask yourself a little - what would you without thinking really risked your skin for? For ideals ? For a country? Or for someone you care about ? I think the answer here is very simple, game for me gave convincing enough motive of pratogonist, that all kinds of shit that you're doing is justified. Type that crazy shaman, saving his goat of the forest full of wolves so that he provide you the information to rescue daughters or searching baron wife who will not give you the information you need while you do not find his family, which he drove, or you try to solve the robbery of criminal underworld lord because he also has some information to people you care about. And you know what that guy does and you are disgusting to deal with it but doing this, you have a strong enough motive - the fact you care about beloved ones.
Are you 14 years old? I did not ask for vomiting sentimentality. Allow me the summary of the script:

Geralt: Now that I got my memory back I should look for Yennefer.
[Proceeds to do dozens of favors for people for information on Yennefer]
[Finds Yennefer]
Yennefer: Now that you have your memory back, you should look for Ciri.
[Proceeds to doing hundreds of favors for information in Ciri]
[Finds Ciri]
Ciri: Hey so this Wild Hunt thing is after me, lets defeat them.
[Indecisive battle]
Yennefer: Hey look a random ugly thing turns out to be the elf we always needed! What a fortuitous moment?
Avallac: Hey remember all the preparation you did to fight the wild hunt? Well turns out I know this magic stone thing that can do it, and is absolutely not a cheap plot device.
[Defeats the wild hunt]
Avallac: Hey you know winter? That was the real enemy all along! Dun, dun, dun!

Top Bottom