Such an uninspired disappointing story

+
Honestly I don't give a shit about Triss, she always been a secondary character and such should remain.
The problem is Eredin, the portrait of the Wild Hunt, Avallac'h, The White Frost.
And the fact that playing the other 2 now is completely useless.

I think the fact that Act 1 was so well done, and actually I'd argue even the Prologue was very well done as well, shows that they aren't incompetent writers, so I have to believe it was a time and resource issue.

Although I wish they didn't paint all the Church of the Eternal Fire with such a broad brush. Basically in TW3 anyone who is a Eternal Fire guy is immediately a bad guy, I'd like to think that a organization that has no good guys in it couldn't survive very long without a total black reputation. I never read the books so maybe they are already that way in the books?

Honestly I don't give a shit about Triss, she always been a secondary character and such should remain.
The problem is Eredin, the portrait of the Wild Hunt, Avallac'h, The White Frost.

Whether or not you romance Triss, and whether like her or not, she is a central figure in the protagonist's life, who has a complex relationship with him and Yennefer. No matter who you chose to romance, if you have a situation were a woman's best friend sleeps with her partner, I guarantee there's going to be fireworks but we didn't get anything. Hell, Yennefer was frostier towards Geralt than she was towards Triss. Yes, there were problems with Eredin but Triss plays a more central and immediate role in the life of the protagonist. Besides, all the complex relationships were ignored and rushed through. Ge'els' writing was comically bad. The de facto governor of a hostile nation turns up and decides to betray his King on the basis of a dream. Yennefer and Ciri who share a mother/daughter bond, barely say two words to each other in the entire story.

As mentioned in another thread:
the last 10 minutes, especially the complete Tedd Deireadh Quest, destroyed the plot for me. Which was debatable good or bad written sometimes, but consistent to itself and within the canon of books, until you defeat Eredin. After that it becomes a freaking mess, and here's why:
Cirilla, though blessed with the Lara Gene, isn’t the one expected to counter Ithlinnes Prophecy, to defeat the White Frost, because no one can. But her descendant is suspected to be the one who opens a Gate which enables Aen Elle, Aen Seidhe and even Humans (if you trust Avallac’h) to travel to other dimensions, flee from the apocalypse and begin life from scratch.

In the game, a note found on Skellige says when the Njaglfar appears, another sphere conjunction will happen and that only the carrier of the Elder Blood is able to cut the connection between worlds…
This is fine!

This “conjuction” is nothing but the kind of another “gate” over a tower, which is directly connected to a universe/the source of the White Frost…
This is maybe imaginable!

That Avallac’h sends Ciri into the Portal (“Go Nuts!”) to defeat the White Frost…
This is completely implausible!

Ciri is not shown what she did in there to stop Armageddon (Deus Ex Machina!), but succeeds apparently.
This is laughable. How the fuck do you defeat “weather” ???

She then returns to the world (or decides against that), lives as a witcher (or not) and acts like proving the prophecy wrong was a piece of cake…
This is completely ridiculous!!!

Not even a dialogue line in the epilogue was possible to spent on that particular topic? I mean, in both the endings where Ciri is present, Geralt isn't curious about what happened? ("Hey Ciri, will you please tell me how you defeated the Great F*cking Freezy?"). The time for that is there, whether in the tavern or in the snowy outback. But nothing. I mean "The world will die amidst frost and be reborn with the new sun. It will be reborn of Elder Blood, of Hen Ichaer, of the seed that has been sown. A seed which will not sprout but burst into flame." is such a vague statement, even the worst writer with only a bit of imagination should be able to draw a consistent explanation out of this (shown to the audience or only in the off isn't the question!), which would have felt better than the magic deus ex machina that appeared in the portal where Ciri went and this topic not mentioned again afterwards, as it was a walk in the park with no need to speak about!!!

Ciri would just say "You're but a witcher, you wouldn't understand!". It really hurt to get that line from her - even if she is right...

I think the fact that Act 1 was so well done, and actually I'd argue even the Prologue was very well done as well, shows that they aren't incompetent writers, so I have to believe it was a time and resource issue.

Although I wish they didn't paint all the Church of the Eternal Fire with such a broad brush. Basically in TW3 anyone who is a Eternal Fire guy is immediately a bad guy, I'd like to think that a organization that has no good guys in it couldn't survive very long without a total black reputation. I never read the books so maybe they are already that way in the books?

The guys who help out with the Baron's daughter are actually pretty cool dudes. The commander guy--I forget his name--seems genuinely level-headed and more or less okay, for a witch hunter. It's the daughter who sounds indoctrinated af in those scenes. The other guy constantly pushes her to think things through rationally before acting rashly.

I never read the books so maybe they are already that way in the books?
They hardly ever appear in the books so I'd say no.

Well, the bigger the ideas, plots and character relations the more problems you usually get with the narrative. It's one thing to write a good prologue and some good seperated side quests with a clear, limited focus and an entirely different thing to write a whole complex "saga" that includes a lot of events, characters, relationship, story threads, plot ideas and overall concepts. You need a VERY good writer for the latter one, somebody who is basically capable of writing and publishing novels on their own, and at the same time clear and dedicated development focus on storytelling that empowers the writer to have everything they need to do their job. That's why most videogames fail to tell "big stories" while they are often surprinsingly good at telling shorter, more limited stories that don't interfere too much with the overall gameplay aspect.

So I don't think that the writers at CDPR are "incompeten" neither. I think that the story just got out of their hands at a certain point while at the same time their creativity and working conditions were limited by the focus on the open world and the "width" vs "depth" shift.

Last edited:

For me, the big problem of TW3 is the portrayal of our decisions from the Witcher 2, especially in the political aspects but it's true that the concept of the Wild Hunt and Eredin as the main villain is really poor. On the other hand, I think that there are some characters and factions that have been clearly whitewashed if you compare with their versions from the books and I think that the devs won't change much of this. This is the case of Avallach (who, in the books, only cares about Lara Dorren's gene, despise the human race and treated Ciri like a common whore but in the games he is like a father for her) and Nilfgaard (in the books, a nation who only cares about conquering new lands committing genocide in the process but in the games seems to be the good option: the country which will bring order and prosperity to the North)

Top Bottom