Such an uninspired disappointing story

+
Are you 14 years old? I did not ask for vomiting sentimentality. Allow me the summary of the script:

Geralt: Now that I got my memory back I should look for Yennefer.
[Proceeds to do dozens of favors for people for information on Yennefer]
[Finds Yennefer]
Yennefer: Now that you have your memory back, you should look for Ciri.
[Proceeds to doing hundreds of favors for information in Ciri]
[Finds Ciri]
Ciri: Hey so this Wild Hunt thing is after me, lets defeat them.
[Indecisive battle]
Yennefer: Hey look a random ugly thing turns out to be the elf we always needed! What a fortuitous moment?
Avallac: Hey remember all the preparation you did to fight the wild hunt? Well turns out I know this magic stone thing that can do it, and is absolutely not a cheap plot device.
[Defeats the wild hunt]
Avallac: Hey you know winter? That was the real enemy all along! Dun, dun, dun!

did you actually played the game or just fast forwarded all dialogues? have you played W1 and W2? Did you read the books? Geralt exchanged himself to Wild Hunt instead of Yenefer.. they both ended up with memory wiped out.. And why Yen didn't looked for him instead? because that's how Yen is.. especially after Last Wish, when she practically even started to hate/love him for the choice he made...
Anyway, dont forget, that Geralt started his search for Yen immediately when his memory got back... he (if you chose it) saved Triss, and left Loc Mouine to search for Yen...
Now, its not like he looking for Ciri is just for some unimportant reason.. they know she is hunted by Hunt. It was Ciri who actually made Geralt escape the Wild Hunt in the first place, and she became hunted ever since... (its all explained in the game if you are careful).. Ciri being in danger with Geralt trying to find her/save her is perfectly within lore.. after all, she is his child of destiny... (so again, you just show us your lack of understanding of the story)
Now, that "random ugly guy" as you say, was actually seen in the same ship as Ciri and Avalach boarded. so no, he was not that random.. plus, during playthrough you knew Ciri was looking into curse removal (book in her room, whole whoreson Junior deal) so again, it was nothing random about UMA...
and the way you describe most climatic moment where they decide to hunt the Hunt... im trully speachless... for me, it was one of the greatest moments in Witcher games...
So practically, you just shown complete lack of lore knowledge by this post. try reading books, and play all three games again. comparing Witcher story to mess Bioware did with Mass effect is blasphemy.. especially considering even Drew Karpishin, guy who actually written the Mass Effect story was enormously pissed at them for completely destroy what he intended with the story (dark energy wiping out the world periodically, while Reapers being machines which by destroying worlds, actually preserve organic life by implanting it after the wipeout back, co the cycle can continue).. CDPR at the other side stayed true to the Sapkowski books.

I think when you have two very dissimilar methods of delivery; W2 being a very linear and focused story to W3 where the game is not as linear and not as focused. I think they both have their merits. For W2 it gave players many interesting and full characters to interact with yet it also managed to very poorly convey the surrounding world and at times it seemed even myopic because the main quest was the only quest. In W3 there are as many interesting and full characters but they are spread out and given in moderation, clearly it works to diminish these some aspects in some regards, but I think the benefits that came with this new design are actually superior in many ways, which I will try to detail.

- Even though W2 story was intense I don't feel the same replay-ability from W3. W3 allows the player to not only take their pace, but it does a wonderful job of conveying an outside world. If we try to go past the scaling of the world and imagine it properly then Geralt is on a quest that take a long time to complete, simply to get from Crow's Perch to Novigrad takes a lot of time. Geralt's zigzagging through the world invariably means that he is also living the life of a Witcher and that he has secondary concerns to attend to. Sometimes you need to meddle or find yourself facing mundane problems and W3 allows you to immerse yourself further into the world in this way. Granted it might not be the most exiting when you finish it for the first time, but as you replay the game more than once this sort of pacing and player choice allows the player to explore and settle into the world in more ways than a spicy and intense story campaign could ever allow for. This grants the game staying power that can endure for a long time.

- I feel that the characters in W3 are just as enticing and interesting and manifold as its predecessor, however it also is not something that is spoon fed. Going back to long term staying power, I think there is a certain satisfaction to playing or reading something for the 3rd or 4th time and finding something new that you missed in a previous play through. This might come from overhearing a conversation that you never had heard before, or finding some piece of clue that you overlooked, or find new paths in the main quest from doing things in a completely different order, and etc,. These things can change outcomes in a subtly satisfying ways or present new information that can change your perspective on a character or event. Diluting the content into the world can make exploring and playing through the game differently actually rewarding. I know some people think that the exploration part of the game is finding the hidden treasure chests, but really that is quite a shallow way of looking at it. Exploring the game doesn't have to be the literal interpretation and act of going into the abandoned wildernesses of the game, there is also exploring the game in places that you have already been to and finding the things that you missed before. This probably means less for those who insist on completing everything on the first play through via the aid of guides and walk-throughs; I really think that playing and approaching a game like this in such a manner will only work to remarkably diminish the game.

- I do agree that there are certain characters that might seem to act nonsensically and have dissatisfying interactions or conclusions. There were some characters for instance, from the top of my head, Djikstra, that I actually thought and agreed with regarding the community's verdict. Yet on my second play through I found that the way things unfolded and transpired actually did seem the most reasonable based on what you can glean in conversation and uncover independently. I'm not going to go into detail into why because it would take delving into and analyzing conversation and other miscellaneous things, suffice it to say I found that the game did include more than enough compelling and satisfactory content to justify that certain unfolding of events as the most rational outcome. I think this is the reason why sometimes it might seem like this game lacks the depth of W2 story (despite being somewhat complex the information was quite transparent and available, and even repeated many times over), it's because the mechanisms which deliver the depth are more subtle and require more than just the quick scan reading. There is lots of information, you just have to work for it. I'm not calling people out on being lazy, all I'm saying is that the explanations for many things in W3 are not always made apparent and obvious by supporting characters or narrative. Again I think this adds longevity to the game and will ensure that players encounter something new or unexpected every time they choose to play it again.

- W3 is more about delivering story with emotional pertinence rather than novel and creative story telling. Just because a format is heavily used does not mean its worth less than something new or creative. I think it would be quite facetious to state that the W3 does not engage you morally, or even emotionally at times, in its quests. Many, if not most, side quests certainly manage to to do the former and some even the latter. In W2 there was basically the main quest and that was it. I find myself hard pressed to think of another game that has managed to engage the player as consistently through as many side quests, small or big, as the W3.

Now I'm not saying that W3 method of story telling, plot development, or actual plot are clearly superior to W2. What I'm saying is that W3 has many merits in this regards which can be easily overlooked, especially in a short term evaluation.

As for the actual deconstruction of the plot into the player performing mainly favors for favors and locating characters to find some other character, I actually find quite amusing. It's possible to deconstruct practically everything into the carrot-on-the-stick metaphor, even your very own real existence. This is a very trite way of criticizing anything, especially when it comes to things like works of fiction. Personally I used to do this quite a lot, but one day I decided to stop. The reason was simple, I was actually diminishing and, even to an extent, ruining things that would (e.g, movies, books, games), or should, have been otherwise enjoyable experiences. When you deconstruct the plot as such you actually work towards shattering the illusion that you dearly want to partake of. When the extant content, regardless of how good it is, is rendered to its bones, particularly for things like fictional works I would dare say that in every case you will manage to devalue it.

So in conclusion I think I stand on the other end in regards to the OP. Despite the fact that the plot is not overly creative, it still manages to be engaging. More than any other Witcher game you really see Geralt display a wide range of emotions, reactions, and humor. I cannot remember the last game that I played that had such a compelling protagonist (especially since in the first two games I found Geralt somewhat flat). W3 made Geralt my favorite character, and to me that was something special because very rarely do I ever find myself in a game of this genre and think that the protagonist (which for the most part is a vessel of the most average person possible) is my favorite.

As such it is a difference in opinion and perspective, yet I still find it somewhat irritable to accept that this game's story was uninspired and disappointing as a deliberate and not impetuous opinion. No game is perfect. W3 has many flaws. The story has flaws, and even then the things it does right and those moments when the delivery is exceptional the game really shines by giving you a very memorable experience. Well that, or perhaps my standards are very low...

Last edited:
I agree that TW3 main story is pretty weak and here are few points why.

-first half works well enough as introduction to various side quests and all three regions so I am ok with it but second one is just full of cliches and final fights

-when people were saying that Vesemir will die I was like "naaah, that is so cliche, good story will avoid this" and they killed him....and also just for sake of it(emootions!)

-It replaces all possible plot twists, intrigues, moves of all the individual players with "emotinal scenes" and "favour for favour exchanges", the main story could have been full of it. Everyone playing their own game trying to use Ciri and trying to archieve it in various ways. Someone betraying someone else, using each other, tricking and so on. This had so much potential and I was awaiting exactly something like this. Not gathering allies against the evil in Mass Effect style.

-Game is just fishing for all characters in books and previous games. Why? They showed us they can create cool characters(Sigfried, Kalkstein, Vincent Meiss, Saskia, Roche, Iorweth...) but in this game they managed to create only one, baron.

-Worst is that main villain is just bad guy. Nothing else. In both previous games the villains were something more and they both had that grey morality within them.

Last edited:
did you actually played the game or just fast forwarded all dialogues? have you played W1 and W2? Did you read the books? Geralt exchanged himself to Wild Hunt instead of Yenefer.. they both ended up with memory wiped out.. And why Yen didn't looked for him instead? because that's how Yen is.. especially after Last Wish, when she practically even started to hate/love him for the choice he made...
Anyway, dont forget, that Geralt started his search for Yen immediately when his memory got back... he (if you chose it) saved Triss, and left Loc Mouine to search for Yen...
Now, its not like he looking for Ciri is just for some unimportant reason.. they know she is hunted by Hunt. It was Ciri who actually made Geralt escape the Wild Hunt in the first place, and she became hunted ever since... (its all explained in the game if you are careful).. Ciri being in danger with Geralt trying to find her/save her is perfectly within lore.. after all, she is his child of destiny... (so again, you just show us your lack of understanding of the story)
Now, that "random ugly guy" as you say, was actually seen in the same ship as Ciri and Avalach boarded. so no, he was not that random.. plus, during playthrough you knew Ciri was looking into curse removal (book in her room, whole whoreson Junior deal) so again, it was nothing random about UMA...
and the way you describe most climatic moment where they decide to hunt the Hunt... im trully speachless... for me, it was one of the greatest moments in Witcher games...
So practically, you just shown complete lack of lore knowledge by this post. try reading books, and play all three games again. comparing Witcher story to mess Bioware did with Mass effect is blasphemy.. especially considering even Drew Karpishin, guy who actually written the Mass Effect story was enormously pissed at them for completely destroy what he intended with the story (dark energy wiping out the world periodically, while Reapers being machines which by destroying worlds, actually preserve organic life by implanting it after the wipeout back, co the cycle can continue).. CDPR at the other side stayed true to the Sapkowski books.

"Blasphemy"? lol c'mon I know Bioware messed up on some levels with ME3 but saying something like that just makes you look like a fanboy
I'm not sure if you even know what you are talking about, yes the Dark Energy plot was one of the plans when they were making ME2 but it was never a sure thing
And don't make things up Drew was never pissed at them
Also from what I have heard about it I doubt it would have been any better (it actually sounds even more ridiculous)

TW3's final act reminded me actually of ME3 in some aspects because both were rushed as hell
CDPR may have stayed true to Sapkowski's book but there was no need to, the games are fanfiction anyway
But by pandering to book fans TW3 didn't even feel like the final chapter of the games, huge mistake

Last edited:
Well i agree that TW2 story is a better then TW3 story, i expected that because is hard to make a very good story in an open world game, i think after all they did a pretty good job except for the act 3, is too rushed, it feels like they ran out of ideas or they did not have the time to properly finish the game. What really makes me sad is the endings, they are just bad for a brilliant trilogy, common they give us only some pictures with explanation of the endings, and even in that pictures they not included all important characters. It was really that hard to give us maybe some cutscene in the end?

Last edited:
While I do think that you make fair points in regards to where the story falls short, I think you forget that one of the key factors across all the games is that the story always revolved around the journey, not the conclusion. Witcher 2, which many, myself included, praise as having the best story of the trilogy, in essence suffers from the same things you hold against Witcher 3's story (progression).

The difference between the two is the structure of the game, not the structure of the story. Witcher 2 was much more linear, much more dense and couldn't rely on its open world as much as the Witcher 3 does. It had to make you want to go after Letho at all times basically, and just like in the Witcher 3, finding this certain person always leads to another adventure all on its own. Witcher 3 can be much more forgiving in letting you discover stuff on your own, even if it meddles with the pacing at some points in the game.

Stating that the game basically consists of <Find X>, <Find Y> or <Find Z> would be a disservice to everything great that happens in between, just like it would be to Witcher 2 if you sum the game up as <Find Letho here>, <Find Letho there>. It gives you an organic reason to check out Velen and the Baron, Keira, Novigrads underworld, Skelliges hierarchy and so on, the same as W2 gave you reason to get involved with the fight against/with the Scoia'tael, lift the curse of Saskia or even care about what is going down in Vergen or Loc Muinne.

The overarching plot in the Witcher games has never been _that_ good. It gave you reason to check out the world and always a pinpoint to follow. What makes the Witcher games so special is everything that happens in between A and Z.

Last edited:
Well i agree that TW2 story is a better then TW3 story, i expected that because is hard to make a very good story in an open world game, i think after all they did a pretty good job except for the act 3, is too rushed, it feels like they ran out of ideas or they did not have the time to properly finish the game. What really makes me sad is the endings, they are just bad for a brilliant trilogy, common they give us only some pictures with explanation of the endings, and even in that pictures they not included all important characters. It was really that hard to give us maybe some cutscene in the end?

Agreed the story was still very good until Act 3 that is
The latter was just very disappointing and rushed as hell

Agreed the story was still very good until Act 3 that is
The latter was just very disappointing and rushed as hell

The same was true for TW2 before the enhanced edition.

Personally, I think the story was on the better side as far as games go... much better then say, DAI. I mean, sure, it could have been better executed in places (romances), but the show-don't-tell execution, using flashbacks and tie in stories, did work very well. The wild hunt also made for a good, sufficiently mysterious big bad, especially since they where hinted for two games. Scenes like Geralt's and Ciri's reunion or the battle for Kaer Morhen where on par with similar ones in the DA and ME series. The end and the epilogue, however leave much to be desired... not on the level of ME3's botched ending or even TW2's original act 3, but still.

Bottom line: Disappointing? No. Could have been better? Very much so. I think, with a game of this size, it's quite hard to strike a balance between doing to much and doing to little, and CDPR did a good job... just not an excellent one.

Last edited:
I agree that TW3 main story is pretty weak and here are few points why.

-first half works well enough as introduction to various side quests and all three regions so I am ok with it but second one is just full of cliches and final fights

-when people were saying that Vesemir will die I was like "naaah, that is so cliche, good story will avoid this" and they killed him....and also just for sake of it(emootions!)

-It replaces all possible plot twists, intrigues, moves of all the individual players with "emotinal scenes" and "favour for favour exchanges", the main story could have been full of it. Everyone playing their own game trying to use Ciri and trying to archieve it in various ways. Someone betraying someone else, using each other, tricking and so on. This had so much potential and I was awaiting exactly something like this. Not gathering allies against the evil in Mass Effect style.

-Game is just fishing for all characters in books and previous games. Why? They showed us they can create cool characters(Sigfried, Kalkstein, Vincent Meiss, Saskia, Roche, Iorweth...) but in this game they managed to create only one, baron.

-Worst is that main villain is just bad guy. Nothing else. In both previous games the villains were something more and they both had that grey morality within them.

Main villain of W3 was also practically main villain of W1. People forget about White Frost being shown to us in W1, how things would transpire and the fact that child of Elder blood has power either to start it, or stop it. And btw, Avalach's intentions become more clear on second playthrough, for example you can find a lot of clues in his laboratory about his interest in white frost.

"Blasphemy"? lol c'mon I know Bioware messed up on some levels with ME3 but saying something like that just makes you look like a fanboy
I'm not sure if you even know what you are talking about, yes the Dark Energy plot was one of the plans when they were making ME2 but it was never a sure thing
And don't make things up Drew was never pissed at them
Also from what I have heard about it I doubt it would have been any better (it actually sounds even more ridiculous)

TW3's final act reminded me actually of ME3 in some aspects because both were rushed as hell
CDPR may have stayed true to Sapkowski's book but there was no need to, the games are fanfiction anyway
But by pandering to book fans TW3 didn't even feel like the final chapter of the games, huge mistake

Drew was definitely not satisfied with the ending or actually whole screenplay for ME3... it destroyed his original vision for the series. He stated it multiple times on twitter.

The high point in W3 story telling for me was the sequence with the Baron and the Crones. I have to guess they spent so much time polishing the first parts of the game that they didn't have time to get the last act to the same level. Given how late the game was already, I think we can cut them some slack.

for me, it was the whole war meeting and decision to hunt the Wild Hunt. and of course resulting battle. Yet, overall, i'm happy with how this game ends, and how this trilogy is ended. When i finished Witcher 1 for the first time, i always wondered how will they play out the White Frost. It seemed so inevitable in W1..

Seems to me CDPR did something a lot of threequels tend to do and that's make the third installment more like or a lot more closely tied to what happened in the initial installment(s) than the sequel which more often then not is regarded as the best one the lot. It certainly reminded me of things like Iron Man 3 and TDKRises in that respect.

For those interested it's explained rather clear on the ship with Triss, Avallac'h, Yen and Ciri on it.

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but: the premise that the story is uninspired and disappointing is really, a criticism of the books. It is also a criticism of the developer's decision to tie the story back into the books, rather than simply telling us their own adapted yarns. Because the climax of this game is all about resolving the major unresolved plot point of the books: the White Frost and Ciri's role in that prophecy.

As somebody else pointed out, the Witcher books really have two narratives. The human narrative that is interesting and compelling, and the fantasy narrative that is not very interesting or compelling at all. And this holds true in the games. Geralt and his bumbling, stumbling, down on their luck friends are interesting. The Wild Hunt and the Elder Blood are not interesting.

Nothing is going to make Mary Sue Ciri saving the world from global cooling a particularly inspired or interesting story. You gotta take the good with the bad.

If the developers of this game made a mistake with the storytelling, it was that they went too far into the source material. Because -- and again, I know this will be unpopular -- the source material falls flat on its own face in many respects.

Main villain of W3 was also practically main villain of W1. People forget about White Frost being shown to us in W1, how things would transpire and the fact that child of Elder blood has power either to start it, or stop it. And btw, Avalach's intentions become more clear on second playthrough, for example you can find a lot of clues in his laboratory about his interest in white frost.

Drew was definitely not satisfied with the ending or actually whole screenplay for ME3... it destroyed his original vision for the series. He stated it multiple times on twitter.

Link?

---------- Updated at 12:54 PM ----------

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but: the premise that the story is uninspired and disappointing is really, a criticism of the books. It is also a criticism of the developer's decision to tie the story back into the books, rather than simply telling us their own adapted yarns. Because the climax of this game is all about resolving the major unresolved plot point of the books: the White Frost and Ciri's role in that prophecy.

As somebody else pointed out, the Witcher books really have two narratives. The human narrative that is interesting and compelling, and the fantasy narrative that is not very interesting or compelling at all. And this holds true in the games. Geralt and his bumbling, stumbling, down on their luck friends are interesting. The Wild Hunt and the Elder Blood are not interesting.

Nothing is going to make Mary Sue Ciri saving the world from global cooling a particularly inspired or interesting story. You gotta take the good with the bad.

If the developers of this game made a mistake with the storytelling, it was that they went too far into the source material. Because -- and again, I know this will be unpopular -- the source material falls flat on its own face in many respects.

Agreed if only they didn't suddenly start pandering to book fans
Its just silly especially since the writer of the books doesn't even consider the games to be canon
So why make a sequel to them instead of your own games?

---------- Updated at 12:56 PM ----------

for me, it was the whole war meeting and decision to hunt the Wild Hunt. and of course resulting battle. Yet, overall, i'm happy with how this game ends, and how this trilogy is ended. When i finished Witcher 1 for the first time, i always wondered how will they play out the White Frost. It seemed so inevitable in W1..

Seeing as how everyone in TW3 acts as if TW1 never happened I'm not sure how this argument has any merit

Also Alvin was basically Ciri-lite

Alvin was just one of Elder Blood kids with similar powers, but Ciri was something even more special. Plus, there are mentions of Alvin in W3, you can find a letter from him if you pay attention to details, where he tries to warn Geralt from what is about to come...

Alvin was just one of Elder Blood kids with similar powers, but Ciri was something even more special. Plus, there are mentions of Alvin in W3, you can find a letter from him if you pay attention to details, where he tries to warn Geralt from what is about to come...

Still don't you think its strange that no one ever mentions Alvin?
Especially in TW3 where the Wild Hunt, Elder Blood and White Frost are important again

One would think that Geralt would mention this to Ciri...
Th letter is just an easter egg if you ask me

So why make a sequel to them instead of your own games?

Seeing as how everyone in TW3 acts as if TW1 never happened I'm not sure how this argument has any merit

Also Alvin was basically Ciri-lite

And why let us import our saves? It is just a mess. Thaler rose from the dead while Yen thinks Geralt had a relationship with Triss, but it was with Shani. CDPR just retconned this and now Shani is barely mentioned.

Especially in TW3 where the Wild Hunt, Elder Blood and White Frost are important again

And you can let Eredin have Alvin's soul. It should matter for something, right?

If you import your games all the way, the immersion just falls apart. TW3, oh, wait, I mean TW: Wild Hunt was so concerned with newer consoles and players that longtime fans got alienated (or maybe it is just me)

There is Alvin. Or better, a mention to him.

I agree, but given that CDPR sort of downplayed those over the top fantasy elements in the previous games had me hoping they would handle Ciri and the Wild Hunt a bit better. I was wrong, but it's not just the main story that I found different in tone and quality from the previous games, where I found the (english) dialogue was much wittier and on point, especially in W2, the characters we met more interesting, and the games much less melodramatic and sappy, if at all really.
I also don't understand why Geralt decided he's too cool to use pronouns, why is he constantly doing a Clint Eastwood impersonation. We get it, he's "bad ass".

All in all, I did not find this game up to the standards that CDRP had me used to. Shame for me I guess, but at least Bioware fans now have another company to keep an eye on.

Top Bottom