Suddenly unable to start game

+
Suddenly unable to start game

Game has been working perfectly since release. Today, I tried an ini fix for NPC pop-ins, and have been greeted with endless load screens ever since. I even backed up the config folder beforehand, and copied it back, deleted and redownloaded it, but nothing. I am fucking unable to enter the game. Any ideas for a fix? I'm seriously getting fed up with this shit.

---------- Updated at 04:02 PM ----------

Last edited:
Do you mean the config folder of the game itself? If yes, then check if you installed the game into C:\Program Files, i.e. the Windows standard folder. Windows does not allow writing in this folder, even by the program itself, peculiar effects can happen if you change files. If you used another disk or folder, this is not the case...

If you restored the original folder to undo your changes - are you sure it is really restored? Or did it not overwrite some changed file for some reason? Check with the file sizes and dates.

And the last idea: The game creates configuration files in your personal folder (input.settings, user.settings), they reflect the contents from the config folder inside the game installation plus your settings. Did you restore your personal configuration files too - because with your changed config files changes could have been done in your personal configuration files, which do not fit now. Try to delete these files (will force you to select your configuration options in the game again), they should be restored by the game.

This is all I can think of - ask yourself the question which changes (after you edited files in the config folder) are permanent to the game? Where was something changed and stored, so that the game now refuses to start? Somewhere must be a difference to the state before your changes when the game started and worked normally. The registry comes to mind, but I do not think so, it would be very unusual to store settings in the registry.

First try loading a game save that is not the latest one, and before that delete the use.settings file in documents\Witcher 3 (a new one should be created, essentially resetting the game as if you were starting it for the first time). Second, go and verify the files if the first part doesn't work.

If the above doesn't work then here are the default state ini files that are in ...\bin\config\base : http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=57922244327362658733

If you choose to use this, disable all the DLC you are using and re-enable all the DLC AFTER COPYING the default files.

Last edited:
I tried loading numerous saves, game was installed on drive D, restored every single affected file, even deleted the config folder and verified game files (redownloaded) but had to completely reinstall the game.

Top Bottom