Suggestd Level.....WTF?

+
You don't have to do any quests immediately. If you get pwned, then reload gain some levels and wait until you are an appropriate level.....

Would be REALLY frustrating if you do a quest all the way to the last boss to discover it is level 30 and you are level 5 without any indication about its strength beforehand.

As I said, it's all about what one's own threshold to getting annoyed or infuriated is. I wouldn't mind having to go back a few hours.

Besides, quests (even the main quest) in TW3 are designed in such a way that you can drop out and back in again at various stages, so the chance of having to redo the whole quest line all over again because you're too underleveled at one point is pretty slim.

Maybe I am old school. In a non-level scaled world, I expect to get my ass handed to me. Maybe I am a masochist. Considering that my all time favorite game is Wizardry 8 (it had leveled zones, if you went where you won't supposed to.........it wasn't pretty), that might be true.

I am still in White Orchid, so I haven't really need my quest log. Today I did check it and noticed that the game was telling me what level was "suggested" for a particular quest. Seriously? How dumb does CDPR think we are? Is the whole game so dumbed down? WTF?

:facepalm:

Get out of white orchid before you claim it's dumbing it down. Get into the main open world and you'll see the volume of quests, the large amount of high level quests and the sheer size of the world. It's not fun to run around a place roughly twice the size of skyrim getting beat quest after quest hoping to stumble on something I can actually complete.

As I said, it's all about what one's own threshold to getting annoyed or infuriated is. I wouldn't mind having to go back a few hours

I like probably a few other people play about an hour a night, I don't want to spend that on searching for a quest my level, I also don't want to spend 1 hour on a side quest that is 20 levels too high and because of how much I play I won't complete for another month.

Last edited:
I think suggested level is one of the best innovations in TW3. Should definitely become a standard for non-scaled open-world RPGs.

Good design is NOT saying "when you reach this level, do that".
Who tells you this? You know what "suggested" means, right?
"Hey there, chap. If you don't have shitloads of time to repetitively return to this quest, trying to kill a monster that you don't stand a chance against - wait until you get somewhere near this level."
Please, don't be so selfish. Level suggestion in journal is not really stripping your playthrough out of fun. However, wasting dozens of hours when you don't have that much free time on searching for a quest that is suitable for your level may ruin the game for a lot of people. A bit more consideration for others, that's all I am asking.

Who tells you this? You know what "suggested" means, right?
"Hey there, chap. If you don't have shitloads of time to repetitively return to this quest, trying to kill a monster that you don't stand a chance against - wait until you get somewhere near this level."
Please, don't be so selfish. Level suggestion in journal is not really stripping your playthrough out of fun. However, wasting dozens of hours when you don't have that much free time on searching for a quest that is suitable for your level may ruin the game for a lot of people. A bit more consideration for others, that's all I am asking.
Or just make it an optional setting. Seems like a pretty easy thing to fix.

Besides, quests (even the main quest) in TW3 are designed in such a way that you can drop out and back in again at various stages, so the chance of having to redo the whole quest line all over again because you're too underleveled at one point is pretty slim.

It may have been fixed, but in 1.01 several quests break if you abandon them half way through: the NPC you need disappears, the enemy doesn't respawn, etc. (Ditto finding quest-related items without having found the relevant quest.) At one point I picked up a sidequest in the middle of a plot quest but decided to finish the plot quest first, and the sidequest is now still open in my log but has no objectives, there's nothing at the location it triggered in, and it's just there glaring at me.

Or just make it an optional setting. Seems like a pretty easy thing to fix.
Have you seen the number of requests for "optional settings"? If CDPR fulfills all of them, the options menu will scroll down indefinitely.
Especially with a lot of people like you, complaining about not-that-important stuff before they even finish the prologue. And most importantly without trying to understand why this design decision had to be taken. No offense intended, just trying to explain why the devs cannot comply to all request such as this.

Last edited:
Unless scaling up enemies is introduced, this also helps you to tackle the quests in an order that doesn't leave you with a load of low level monsters to walk through without challenge later on.

truthfully, I don't mind it. it helps me to do the quest in logical order instead of tackling something way out of my league. it could be a toggle in the menu, simple solution that would keep everyone happy.

Still "recommended". You're still free to decide if you wanna try to make the quest or not. You'll see how you perform. It doesn't say "locked until level x". Also in White Orchid there are no monsters that you can't defeat with a low level. In Vergen (the next area) you will come upon a view monsters which you CAN'T defeat. You simply can't. Until you reach a higher level. So that's just CDPR way to save you from beginning a quest you can't complete and getting frustrated quickly. I don't see the problem here.

When it's possible to find a level 1 bandit wearing minimal clothing with a small blackjack that dies in a couple of hits from a level 5 Geralt, and a level 15 version of the bandit who can withstand 20 sword hits while being capable of one-shotting you with his small blackjack, then it's necessary to label quest levels.

what is more worriesome in a sense is that some suggested level are completely off. They suggest level 18 for some treasure hunt that will reward you with recipe for level 14 gear. What's the purpose of this? And of course if you come at level 14, you're sure to have a hard time killing the level 17-18 monsters that are guarding said treasures.

Something's seriously wrong with that =(

Trust us, be glad the suggested level text is there.
Its hardly hand-holding, if you really think it is, maybe you should ask if they can remove the orange quest objective indicators and witcher sences hints .. sigh.
Its part of the game for good reason, it would be a maze and frustrating experiance otherwise

If suggested quest levels count as "hand holding" and "dumbing down", then so do all the tutorials, the herbs showing on the mini-map, the quest markers and the trail indicator that shows you the path to the marker, and basically everything else that's there to make sure you can focus on the actual challenge of the game and not a frustrating lack of information. Suggested levels for quests in a non-linear open world game is just good design. The difference between challenge and frustration is that challenge is caused by a lack of skill in the player, whereas frustration is caused by a lack of skill in the game designer. No matter how skilled you are, you're not gonna kill a lvl 33 monster when you're level 4. That's frustration, not challenge. Removing the suggestion does not add anything positive to the game experience.

Top Bottom