Suggestion : Aelirenn desparately needs a buff

+

rrc

Forum veteran
CDPR, I am directly talking to you. You have the stats and insights of a God (in Gwent world). How many decks use Aelirenn? In those decks that use her, how many times she gets successfully pulled out? I am sure that she is used much much less % of ST decks and even in those games, she bricks (not getting summoned) more than 60% of the time. Is it not unfair to have such a harsh and difficult condition to summon a card and have 9 provisions and 5 points on board when other such summon cards are easily, reliably, on demand, with a single bronze cards achieve that?

Aelirenn's pull condition is actually very hard and if a deck is built to desparately pull her out, it can hardly win. Getting 5 elves on board alive is actually very hard. This is even worse after CC when there are so much control units and Deathblow effects.

1) If so much struggle has to go to pull her out, she should at least have lower provision cost, say 7 provisions.

2) Or make her condition to be "If you have four or more elves on board, summon her to Melee row".

In her current state she is absolutely horrible and an extremely unfair card.

In the last several months after HC release, I have tried *multiple times* to build a deck to pull Aelirenn reliably, and every single time I had to give up and change my deck. It's really very hard to pull Aelirenn with so much control and all Elves being very weak. In my latest attempt I have added more than 15 elves in my deck (including Neophytes) and in more than 20 games, I had only managed to pull her hardly 2 or 3 times.

If you even want to add a few netrual or Human/Dwarf/Dryad cards in your deck, pulling her out is nearly impossible.

So, CDPR, show fairness and buff her. Either 7 provisions or 4 Elves condition. Don't leave her in such an unfair condition.

[Abd while you are at it, please fix her animation too.]

Nah, she is fine. It's very easy to summon her if you are playing only elves. Very easy win first round with her ability.

I don't see any problems with her. But you are right with one thing: There is an insane amount of removal in this game. That's true.

But she is fine. Remember she is only good with elven decks, so don't try to play dwarfs and dryads with her. ç

Also she works very very well with Eldain Traps.

I kinda agree. Right now, she's only ever properly viable in a Eldain-Trap deck because:

1. Not competitively reasonable to make a pure elf deck

2. Control meta reduces chances of Aelirenn's proc greatly.

I kinda agree. Right now, she's only ever properly viable in a Eldain-Trap deck because:

1. Not competitively reasonable to make a pure elf deck

2. Control meta reduces chances of Aelirenn's proc greatly.

That's the problem, the control meta. But maybe it's just me, but I don't see any problem with her ability/condition. 5 elves on the board looks fine and fair to me. As I said very easy to do it if you are playing only elves. : /

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
The conundrum with Aelirenn is what you expect of her. She is only good in an Elven deck, but many cards are locked to a single archetype. So, that shouldn't be an argument against her.

The requirement of getting 5 elves on the board can be volatile, depending on the opponent's counter measures. In most cases, the opponent will only remove elves that are a threat, unless the opponent runs a full removal deck, but then anything engine-related gets wiped. Thus the full removal argument does not work here either, because it applies to more than just Aelirenn.

What remains is, how easy is it to trigger Aelirenn, on average? With Eldain, it's fairly easy. And Neophytes also makes the job easier. Personally speaking, I managed to trigger her in about 80% of my games, which has above average value. Incidentally, with the nerfs to Roach and the Witchers, Aelirenn has actually become stronger, relatively speaking.

rrc

Forum veteran
Remember she is only good with elven decks, so don't try to play dwarfs and dryads with her.

Also she works very very well with Eldain Traps.
As I said very easy to do it if you are playing only elves. : /
I have mentioned that in my OP itself. She can only be reliably pulled if and only if the entire deck is built for her and she is not worth doing that too. I know that she can pulled if the motto of the game is just to pull her, but it is hardly competitive. All elf decks can't even fare well below Rank 12 (I am guessing, but those decks are too damn weak).
What remains is, how easy is it to trigger Aelirenn, on average? With Eldain, it's fairly easy. And Neophytes also makes the job easier. Personally speaking, I managed to trigger her in about 80% of my games, which has above average value. Incidentally, with the nerfs to Roach and the Witchers, Aelirenn has actually become stronger, relatively speaking.
Again, 4RM3D, I am not saying it is impossible to pull her. All I am saying is, it is nearly impossible (or let me say, at most 2-3 games in 15 games) to pull her in a competitive deck. With Eldain too, if all moons and stars are in your favor you can do that. But at least 2 out of 5 games, I don't even get to use all 4 charges.

To clarify, in the current deck I am trying I have 8 non-elf units (6 neutrals and 2 Brokilon Sentinals) and a trap. So, I have 14 Elves and two of them are Neophytes. Adding any more elves makes the deck super weak. Now, if I draw Sentinels and a couple of Neutral cards, I can't mulligan away them as they are Golds and are necessary. There goes 3 or 4 cards in hand which are non-elf. With the remaining Elves in hand it is incredibly difficult to have 5 elves on board (I don't even play Neophytes when there are not three elves, as, Neophytes are dead give-away that it is a deck with Aelirenn and the opponent either passes or massacres the elves).

Now, If I add any more elves, the deck becomes super weak and barely gets me any win. So is my proposal. If Aelirenn has to be played competitively (and why the heck not?), she needs a buf. Either provision based buff or condition based buff. In her current state, there won't be an Aelirenn in any decks below Rank 7 (which is considered as noobs' ranks by all pros).

Incidentally, with the nerfs to Roach and the Witchers, Aelirenn has actually become stronger, relatively speaking.
4RM3D, I have the biggest respect on you on these forums, but this statement doesn't make any sense at all. The need for Aelirenn has got more significant (and not her strength) due to W3 massacre and Roach's nerf, but she is still the same old super-harsh super-hard-to-pull-off weak bad card.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
All I am saying is, it is nearly impossible (or let me say, at most 2-3 games in 15 games) to pull her in a competitive deck.

You have too great a desire to include Aelirenn in your deck, even if she isn't reliable enough with the setup you're using. I've used her in an Eldain Trap deck and an Eithne Elven deck and both decks could pull her reliably. She is competitive, but only in certain decks.

[...] but this statement doesn't make any sense at all. The need for Aelirenn has got more significant [...]

The fact that the need has increased is an indication that she is more wanted. Besides that, there is an easier way to look at things. Too put it simple, if every tutor/thinning card, but Aelirenn, gets nerfed, then she has become stronger than the rest.

Top Bottom