[Suggestion] Different passive trait for Monsters

+
[Suggestion] Different passive trait for Monsters

I don't mind 'Eredin/Geralt pass' which became notorious for some reason, I have a different gripe.

Let's review passive traits of other factions:

Scoia'taels - giving away first turn to opponent in the third round could be a game-changer - tactical trait
NR - +2 to gold cards is defining deck-building direction - strategical trait
Skellige - +1 to all cards in the beginning of the next round is a motivation for careful card management in first two rounds - tactical trait

Monsters - roll out the strongest cards and pray to all gods that RNG will smile to you. Weather-deck players are praying two times more intense because of foglets.

This is just not fun, because it's not adding any depth to strategy and tactics.

My suggestion - give Monsters different passive trait that involves either direct player management (like for Scoia'tael) or will affect deck/hand management (like for NR/Skellige).

Example: ability to cancel any last played special card once in a match (including Scorch, Epidemic, Dimeritium Bomb, Adrenalin Rush etc.)

Last edited:
Soooo true. I'm using monster deck and my tactic doesn't involve Eredin/Geralt pass at ALL...i just play with different style and this passive is stupid. U can manipulate it to an extent, but when u truly need it it will just screw you up and laugh at you... :)

I don't mind 'Eredin/Geralt pass' which became notorious for some reason, I have a different gripe.

Let's review passive traits of other factions:

Scoia'taels - giving away first turn to opponent in the third round could be a game-changer - tactical trait
NR - +2 to gold cards is defining deck-building direction - strategical trait
Skellige - +1 to all cards in the beginning of the next round is a motivation for careful card management in first two rounds - tactical trait

Monsters - roll out the strongest cards and pray to all gods that RNG will smile to you. Weather-deck players are praying two times more intense because of foglets.

This is just not fun, because it's not adding any depth to strategy and tactics.

My suggestion - give Monsters different passive trait that involves either direct player management (like for Scoia'tael) or will affect deck/hand management (like for NR/Skellige).

Example: ability to cancel any last played special card once in a match (including Scorch, Epidemic, Dimeritium Bomb, Adrenalin Rush etc.)

The thing is Monsters have many cards wich summoning more units out of the deck (and sometimes graveyard) or out of nowhere (through breeding) this alone is really powerful and giving a stronger faction ability (like your example) would make Monsters kinda OP.

What actually could work would be an ability to revive a non-gold unit in the beginning of each round, that gives a more strategic twist to it and would destroy the "Eredin/Geralt(/Ciri) -> Pass" strategy.

What actually could work would be an ability to revive a non-gold unit in the beginning of each round, that gives a more strategic twist to it and would destroy the "Eredin/Geralt(/Ciri) -> Pass" strategy.

Yep, that's a lot better

CRSE

Forum regular
First of all I admit to being one of the seemingly few abusers of this system.

Secondly, whereas the criticism is warranted the suggestions towards its solution appear lacking:

1) "ability to cancel any last played special card once in a match (including Scorch, Epidemic, Dimeritium Bomb, Adrenalin Rush etc.)"

Except for probably being broken as it could cancel out some vital and well timed counters, it would be a very obtuse mechanic as, after every played special card, you'd be prompted as to whether you'd like to cancel it. Takes time, ruins the flow and destroys fun.

2) "What actually could work would be an ability to revive a non-gold unit in the beginning of each round, that gives a more strategic twist to it and would destroy the "Eredin/Geralt(/Ciri) -> Pass" strategy."

So this is a much more reasonable suggestion although it lacks in providing any synergy for Monsters. For example, gold synergies with Northern Realms, first player with Scoia'Tel traps and ambush and Skellige with their long-term play. Reviving a non-gold unit wouldn't help monsters out much or be particularly relevant to their specialities, which consists mainly in flooding the board. If one muster card is in the graveyard in the first place chances are the rest are too.

My suggestion would be by first of all limiting it to bronze units solely. Secondly it would probably be something that can help elementals and the like along i.e. units which need to die. My suggestion would be that either A) At the end of a round once per game choose a bronze unit that may remain in play after the end of the round OR B) At the end of a round once per game choose a bronze unit and return it to your hand. Both of these would promote playing several units in the first round

The problem with A is that it may mean we get to keep a (super-)buffed unit until next round, which of course may be countered with either resets, removal or returns. Suggestion B would be a return that works in that it would reset the card back to base strength upon return to hand. However, this could result in bait tactics similar to the ones currently existing, and consequently unfair card advantage, but possibly more balanced than and synergistic than keeping a buffed up unit over two rounds.

I believe CDPR attempted to dodge both those systems by implementing the current one utilising RNG which would seem touching upon a theme of chaos but by denying gold units it becomes too weak, by allowing them it becomes too strong. Regardless, whether too strong or too weak, it's maybe not simplistic but at the very least random which becomes a flaw in an otherwise tactically sound game.

Top Bottom