[Suggestion] Don't add too much RNG in the game.

+
[Suggestion] Don't add too much RNG in the game.

Originally (into the witcher 3 game) it had nearly 0 RNG cards asside the draft that every card game has. Now I see many cards with summon random minion from graveyard. I think this game is very good because it eliminates the luck factor (not completely) .

Spies in Original Gwent were RNG aswell.

I think RNG keeps viewers happy, creates exciting plays and extends the life of the game.
But there is good RNG and Bad RNG.
Good RNG is when it takes player skill to dictate.

Field Medic is good RNG, it randomly selects a Bronze or Silver from your Graveyard.
The best play? That would be the minion you would get if you could choose.
So a Field Medic is always optimal or worse type of RNG. That sounds bad but no other Deck has Bronze Medics that can Ressurect Silvers so it's a trade off.
On top of that, what makes it truly good RNG is two fold:
1) It is restricted, you're not going to get CRAZY things like the Old Operator used to do.
2) The RNG can be manipulated to be more favourable for the player but takes player skill to achieve. (And likewise player skill from the opponent to recognise this and avoid) - If you present Silver Card Scorch Bait in Round 1 and the opponent falls for it, you're Field Medic will have 100% success rate since it's the only Unit in the Graveyard.

Other cards which are good RNG imo.

1) Ghoul - Scorch Bait a High Strength Card & Play Earlier for Better Success
2) Elven Merc - Build your Deck to benefit it's random nature (Alzur's Thunder, Lacerate, Swallow, Aeromancy etc (Targettable Specials)
3) Udalryk - Scorch & play early to guarantee good plays
4) Thaler - Thins your Deck and allows a redraw for specific combos
etc

A card of which I consider bad RNG is:
1) Priscilla - Takes no skill to play (Barring use of musters prior to playing her).

I think.

A card of which I consider bad RNG is:
1) Priscilla - Takes no skill to play (Barring use of musters prior to playing her).
Agree. Plus the monster ability - You can get the strongest card or foglet which gives you nothing on the table next turn.

I don't mind good RNG, where in essence it is the player dictating the play. The RNG I hate would be that of in Hearthstone. I quit that game this month due to the lack of skill. Have the cards are RNG, most with the description, "summon a random minion", or Yogg Saron or something. It is basically RNG from the first play to the last. I don't mind losing if I lost a fair fight and got bet, but I can't stand losing a match I should of won due to RNG taking over.

Gwent appealed to me due to me playing so much of it in the game. The limited RNG was amazing, a very much skilled game that took good thought to win.

Other cards which are good RNG imo.

1) Ghoul - Scorch Bait a High Strength Card & Play Earlier for Better Success
2) Elven Merc - Build your Deck to benefit it's random nature (Alzur's Thunder, Lacerate, Swallow, Aeromancy etc (Targettable Specials)
3) Udalryk - Scorch & play early to guarantee good plays
4) Thaler - Thins your Deck and allows a redraw for specific combos
etc

Ofc I don't consider Thaler or any redraw cards bad RNG cards. I said card draw is the "unavoidable evil" of every card game.
Elven merc on the other hand is stupid kind of RNG that belongs to games like Hearthstone.
Udalryk on the other hand tends to be 50-50 I am not sure yet.

Generally I don't like to give overpowering effects to cards with the fucking RNG excuse. I don't find it either fun or skillfull to lose or win a match due to some coinflip.

I agree with priscilla ofc.

Game was damn amazing into the witcher 3 game. I don't want to change it to Hearthstonish nature for the viwer's sake to be another Kappa Keepo stupid twitch game. I would gladly spectate a skillful game rather than a casual rngfest game like HS.

Agree with all said above. If we want no skill coin flip style games we already have that option with HS. Please keep this as close to the original from W3 as possible please.

I lost so many matches today due to RNG, I decided to not even continue playing until a few patches or release.

My last match was monsters vs monsters, a 3 round match. The faction ability picked prize winning cow twice for me, so it stayed from the beginning to the end with me, and the opponent got Geralt first, then a 42 power ancient foglet.
I don't even remember the last time I was so bitter about a game, but at least my cow will never abandon me.

In my opinion RNG has a place in a game like this. Want RNG to be on your side? Use deck thinning cards, redraw cards at the start of the match (you already see what deck you are up against), use swarming cards, organize your deck accordingly to put up a fight against the most used strategies of the other decks. In the end of the day you win some you lose some. Card games were always like this!

Thank you! This doesn't get said enough
:geraltfeelgood:

Nope. RNG is the way for unskilled people to beat better ones due to luck. See hearthstone for example. Even in BlizzCon tournaments people making best plays lose to lucky opponents who they didn't play as optimal. So if you people want an RNGfest game there are plenty out there. But for God's sake let's not make GWENT another one.

Originally (into the witcher 3 game) it had nearly 0 RNG cards asside the draft that every card game has. Now I see many cards with summon random minion from graveyard. I think this game is very good because it eliminates the luck factor (not completely) .

There aren't many cards that do random things. There are a few and purposely most of them can be controlled to your benefit :)

There aren't many cards that do random things. There are a few and purposely most of them can be controlled to your benefit :)

Even I mostly agree with this one, how exactly cards like ghoul (for example) that has the ability : " Remove a random unit in either graveyard from the game and add its strength to this unit." . I find this card completely stupid. You can't control your opponent's graveyard. You can control yours ofc but still this card is very random on what it will do.

Don't really see a problem with this RNG. As it's good RNG, controllable RNG. You have selected 25 good cards yes? It's not a RNG that is going to give you the worst cards ever possible in your collection. If you play poker, you have RNG, you pick cards from a deck, imagine if you started with the perfect deck, or if you started with a shitty deck. If you had the best, you would always win, no dynamic to it, it would be boring as hell. With this RNG you can still redeem yourself (yes that also includes your opponent), much like Witcher 3 gwent when you had spies that gave you 2 cards, but instead you gain those on the second round and 1 in third, it's dynamic, exciting and entertaining. No RNG = Boring, stale gameplay and boring cause it must be mentioned twise.

My last match was monsters vs monsters, a 3 round match. The faction ability picked prize winning cow twice for me, so it stayed from the beginning to the end with me, and the opponent got Geralt first, then a 42 power ancient foglet.
I know that feeling. For some reason the cow seems to like to stay on the battlefield more often than the others :D
I ended up removing it from my deck and balanced it with other units.

Even I mostly agree with this one, how exactly cards like ghoul (for example) that has the ability : " Remove a random unit in either graveyard from the game and add its strength to this unit." . I find this card completely stupid. You can't control your opponent's graveyard. You can control yours ofc but still this card is very random on what it will do.

You can control your opponents graveyard or your own.
Scorch/Epidemic a unit Round 1 and then Consume it quickly. (Things like Olgeird for example)

Or consume something strong with the Giant Toad for example, (Fiend) then consume it again with the Ghoul.

Maybe:

Arachas > Giant Toad [Fiend] > Ghoul

You can control your opponents graveyard or your own.
Scorch/Epidemic a unit Round 1 and then Consume it quickly. (Things like Olgeird for example)

Or consume something strong with the Giant Toad for example, (Fiend) then consume it again with the Ghoul.

Maybe:

Arachas > Giant Toad [Fiend] > Ghoul

The Monster deck also has cards like Griffin and Caretaker. Each Griffin in your deck is one card you can keep your opponent from resurrecting from their graveyard. If you have Caretaker, you can even use one of their cards against them.

Earlier today, I faced a guy using a resurrection-heavy Skellige deck. I used a Griffin to move a Princess of Freya from the guy's graveyard to mine, then I used my Caretaker card to summon Sigrdrifa from his graveyard. It wound up turning into me using a summoning chain along the lines of Caretaker -> Sigrdrifa from his graveyard -> Princess of Freya that I stole from his graveyard during my last turn -> my own bronze card from my graveyard.

Using the guy's own strategy against him while simultaneously preventing him from using it anymore? It angered him enough to make him ragequit right on the spot.

Last edited:
I know that feeling. For some reason the cow seems to like to stay on the battlefield more often than the others :D
I ended up removing it from my deck and balanced it with other units.

I have the same problem and am probably a day away from removing it from my deck. Constantly carrying a card with 1 strength from one round to the next pretty much ruins the point of both the card itself and the Monster deck's ability.

Top Bottom