Suggestion: Fix Woodland Spirit - Immune units interaction

+
"Immunity: Status whereby this card cannot be manually targeted." The boosting of Immune units in hand by Woodland Spirit seems pretty manual to me and seems pretty lame and OP on top of that. Requesting that Immune units are also Immune in hand; cannot be manually targeted in hand.

Edit: Updated the request to let Woodland boost a unit on the board and not in hand (to prevent Immune unit boosting).

Last edited:
You left out ST handbuff. Anyhow, logically speaking, you may have a point, but, gameplay-wise, it's neither lame or OP and, practically speaking, it matters little.

It's the same with Saesenthessis and no unit decks. Everyone has issues with immunity one way or the other. Some of those issues are understandable, but most arise from different scenarios. The core problem is the lack of interactivity. The thing is, that's the whole point of immunity, which is ironic in this case because it does have handbuff interactivity. Immune, as a concept, could be redesigned, though. However, that wouldn't be limited to Saesenthessis or Werewolves.

I would love to see immune cards totally disappear from this game. They won't, I know. But then they shouldn't have additional abilities (handbuff is the least of the issues), like Gabor, Milva or Alpha Werewolf. It's only possible to control them indirectly, and maybe very high level gamer who have each and every card of this game are able to, but us mediocre players can only watch them gaining strength, unless you have Geralt:Igni on hand and are lucky.

Inmune units are fine. Only players who play control decks and wants to deal a lot of damage to their enemies will cry because of this. Stop complain, you guys have a lot of tools (cards) in the game to deal with inmune units. Look at Eredin, now the poor guy is a joke.

I would love to see Immunity disappear for the same reason: lack of interactivity. Armor or "thick skin" (auto-reduce damage) or something would be much more interesting.
But back to this smaller issue: Handbuff seems fine, as long as you are not able to manually select an immune unit. Manually selecting and boosting an immune unit seems silly to me as it is inconsistent with the Immunity description. It also seems OP, dropping a 12 point immune unit on the board.

I would love to see Immunity disappear for the same reason: lack of interactivity. Armor or "thick skin" (auto-reduce damage) or something would be much more interesting.
But back to this smaller issue: Handbuff seems fine, as long as you are not able to manually select an immune unit. Manually selecting and boosting an immune unit seems silly to me as it is inconsistent with the Immunity description. It also seems OP, dropping a 12 point immune unit on the board.

They are not completely inmune if you have the right cards to deal with them.

Generally unit abilities/statuses aren't active while the card is in your hand. If you want Immune to work while holding the unit, should Thrive work too?

It also seems OP, dropping a 12 point immune unit on the board.

Why? Because you cannot use Geralt? Woodland is usually running big Monsters, meaning there are other targets for Geralt. Also, Woodland can save his ability till last. And if he has last say, Geralt isn't able to destroy the unit regardless. Furthermore, it's just flat points, not an Order or Engine card that's an actual threat.

Generally unit abilities/statuses aren't active while the card is in your hand. If you want Immune to work while holding the unit, should Thrive work too?
You make a generalization and then based on that, you bring up Thrive. Let's focus. This topic is about Woodland boosting an Immune unit.
Why? Because you cannot use Geralt? Woodland is usually running big Monsters, meaning there are other targets for Geralt. Also, Woodland can save his ability till last. And if he has last say, Geralt isn't able to destroy the unit regardless. Furthermore, it's just flat points, not an Order or Engine card that's an actual threat.
Exactly, as you pointed out, Woodland already has many options to spam points and is unstoppable at that when going last. Adding the option to play an immune 8 point boost (in case not going last) seems pretty OP to me. As easy solution, let him boost a unit on the board by 8 (with some cool animation of his roots reaching from the ground to boost the unit). Issue solved.

I find immune badly-designed in Gwent. I'm kinda glad they seem to be moving away from it but there's still some things that bother me about it. As for this Woodland interaction... I don't know how to feel about it. It feels pretty unfair to be able to target an immune unit. Most factions don't really run ways to remove those units. I can only think of Curse of Corruption and Scorch but those two cards usually don't pay off well in most decks. There's also purify but that mechanic is super weak at the moment. So I don't know, I find it dumb but I'm sure Monsters players will say otherwise.

Don't forget about that tactic that destroys the highest base power unit. I would highly advise playing it if you'er having troubles vs. monsters since it isn't as expensive (provisions) as scorch and still does it job fairly well.

As easy solution, let him boost a unit on the board by 8 (with some cool animation of his roots reaching from the ground to boost the unit). Issue solved.

Interesting. You indirectly nerf immunity, without actually touching the mechanic. However, it has more implications than just the interaction with immunity. I reckon that buffing a unit on the board is actually better than buffing it in hand (with Woodland Spirit).

Problem with me for woodland, is that if you don't win round 1 (which isn't important against most decks) by using tons of your valuable resources, it can bleed you round 2 with all his thick bois for a 2-0. I rarely win round 3 against woodland and believe me I run super heavy control decks which punish huge units and engines, but it usually isn't enough against all this round 3 points slamming. Engine heavy decks are maybe better against it, because Woodland has minimal removal but still big monsters is probably the less skilled and most boring deck in HC. Just toss 10+ points cards round 3 and win.

PS I agree with the op. I'm a little more extreme about immunity though. I want it gone from the game completely. Immune units can be abused by many "unhealthy" decks out there.

Last edited:
Problem with me for woodland, is that if you don't win round 1 (which isn't important against most decks) by using tons of your valuable resources, it can bleed you round 2 with all his thick bois for a 2-0.

While I agree, your analysis has nothing to do with immunity, though, which is the topic of this thread.

You make a generalization and then based on that, you bring up Thrive. Let's focus. This topic is about Woodland boosting an Immune unit.

Yes and based on that generalization immune shouldn't work while the card is in your hand, just like Thrive or whatever keyword makes you happy.
This isn't about you or this topic but i feel like i'm the only person on this planet that know what an example is.

Interesting. You indirectly nerf immunity, without actually touching the mechanic. However, it has more implications than just the interaction with immunity. I reckon that buffing a unit on the board is actually better than buffing it in hand (with Woodland Spirit).
True, Woodland could then protect a unit on the board by buffing it. On the other hand, especially as it is Woodland, opponents may have saved some big removal or reset, so there is a risk if not going last. I think Woodland boosting on the board is more interesting and it prevents the 12 point immune play from hand.
Yes and based on that generalization immune shouldn't work while the card is in your hand, just like Thrive or whatever keyword makes you happy.
This isn't about you or this topic but i feel like i'm the only person on this planet that know what an example is.
I understand what you're saying. Immune is a status, Thrive is an ability. If both shouldn't work in hand, the issue is that the manual hand boost becomes immune when performed on a card with Immunity, which seems quite OP. So that's why I now propose as easy solution that Woodland boosts a card on the board and not in hand.

I find immune badly-designed in Gwent. I'm kinda glad they seem to be moving away from it but there's still some things that bother me about it. As for this Woodland interaction... I don't know how to feel about it. It feels pretty unfair to be able to target an immune unit. Most factions don't really run ways to remove those units. I can only think of Curse of Corruption and Scorch but those two cards usually don't pay off well in most decks. There's also purify but that mechanic is super weak at the moment. So I don't know, I find it dumb but I'm sure Monsters players will say otherwise.
I actually think that immunity is much more powerful in SC than in MO drcks. So SC players shoul be probably the first to disagree.
Post automatically merged:

Problem with me for woodland, is that if you don't win round 1 (which isn't important against most decks) by using tons of your valuable resources, it can bleed you round 2 with all his thick bois for a 2-0. I rarely win round 3 against woodland and believe me I run super heavy control decks which punish huge units and engines, but it usually isn't enough against all this round 3 points slamming. Engine heavy decks are maybe better against it, because Woodland has minimal removal but still big monsters is probably the less skilled and most boring deck in HC. Just toss 10+ points cards round 3 and win.

PS I agree with the op. I'm a little more extreme about immunity though. I want it gone from the game completely. Immune units can be abused by many "unhealthy" decks out there.
I don’t think that immunity is what makes big woodland decks so strong. I also find the point slam quite boring. It is a powerfull deck but there are answers. Dana Harmony is a really tough matchup for example. Immunity adds strength to both decks (more to SC than MO I reckon) but I don’t think it’s an issue or OP element.

Last edited:
Inmune units are fine. Only players who play control decks and wants to deal a lot of damage to their enemies will cry because of this. Stop complain, you guys have a lot of tools (cards) in the game to deal with inmune units. Look at Eredin, now the poor guy is a joke.

Those tools usually don't pay off well.
I actually think that immunity is much more powerful in SC than in MO drcks. So SC players shoul be probably the first to disagree.
Post automatically merged:

I don’t think that immunity is what makes big woodland decks so strong. I also find the point slam quite boring. It is a powerfull deck but there are answers. Dana Harmony is a really tough matchup for example. Immunity adds strength to both decks (more to SC than MO I reckon) but I don’t think it’s an issue or OP element.

Yup, ST has multiple immune units as well and I hate them too lol. I dislike immunity in general.

Top Bottom