Suggestion for NCPD rework

+

jj284b

Forum veteran
Everybody knows police system in Cyberpunk is (how to say it politely) very bad.. Here are few suggestions how to make it more lore friendly and logical:

- Wanted system stars needs to be permanent. They should not disappear after certain time, police records in CP world are not deleted after few minutes..
- Star 1 and Star 2 should be handled through fine only. Player should be able to pay the fine through the Fixer or when confronted by NCPD.
- Start 3 level means local police that spots the player actively attacks him.
- Star 4 level would make a NCPD Dropship appear near player location, with a squad of MaxTac (50 level characters) with perfect knowledge where player is...

NO RANDOM SPAWNS of police around player...

Each Wanted Star could be removed by paying certain fine. level 1 let say 1000 Eddies, Level 2= 10000 Eddies, Level 3= 50000 Eddies and Level 4= 100000 eddies. (with level 3 and 4 only removable through fixer)

But there should be some thresholds implemented - NPC should be not killable by single shot no matter what. Wanted Star should be awarded only for intentional actions, not accidents. So random shot against NPC should not give Warrant, but instead should activate a threshold, and if such hits repeat, it would be warranted. Same thing for car accidents, if player hits an NPC, it would not be reported unless he hits multiple NPC in certain period of time (intentional driving into crowd of NPC)

Well yeah that would be nice, but the problem really is that the AI cannot pursue you or really interact with you.
As you probably noticed, there are no police vehicles on the streets and the cars that are, are not able to get around the tiniest obstruction since they were not given the ability to switch lanes or react to anything out of their predefined path.
That makes police chases not possbile.

lelxrv

Forum veteran
I doubt they will be able to do more or less satisfying police system without making an entirely new traffic engine from ground up. It's a massive task and it would require at least a year of dedicated work.

I remember they were looking for people who can write car and traffic AI more than 5 years ago. Yet somehow traffic feels like last minute excuse with the most primitive scripts, and nobody worked on it.

jj284b

Forum veteran
I kinda get why some features were cut from the game, and no, it was not done because some CEO said so... every AI routine requires CPU time.. and more complex ones especially... Game has a problem running on weak HW even right now.. i cannot imagine how it would run if NPCs had more advanced routines implemented... so i get that some devs wanted to have things like this in, but if they couldnt make it work in time without affecting the whole game, its understandable they decided to cut it.. Yes, game would be better off if they decided to postpone the launch for another year... but players would be even angrier than they are now....

so instead of making suggestions that would make game bloat, i came with suggestion that would not impact the game in terms of performance that much...

I kinda get why some features were cut from the game, and no, it was not done because some CEO said so... every AI routine requires CPU time.. and more complex ones especially... Game has a problem running on weak HW even right now.. i cannot imagine how it would run if NPCs had more advanced routines implemented... so i get that some devs wanted to have things like this in, but if they couldnt make it work in time without affecting the whole game, its understandable they decided to cut it.. Yes, game would be better off if they decided to postpone the launch for another year... but players would be even angrier than they are now....

so instead of making suggestions that would make game bloat, i came with suggestion that would not impact the game in terms of performance that much...

I don't like to compare two different games but why it is possible to have working police in GTA and the game works smooth?

I´m sorry, but AI routines such as cars changing lanes when one lane is blocked have been in games forever (or car chases in NFS for example). I would argue that the required processing power for that is close to zero compared to what current gen processers are able to do.

I think you make a good point, but I´d want to see them working on the cause rather then the symptoms.

jj284b

Forum veteran
I don't like to compare two different games but why it is possible to have working police in GTA and the game works smooth?

because CP is not the same game and uses very different engine.. Also level of graphics is quite different

Speaking of gta I recall when I got bored with liberty city that you could just go on a rampage and barricade yourself in buildings killing every cop that entered and scavenge their weapons as needed. I haven't tried this in cp .. somehow I think it'd be alot harder to keep it going and not get overwelmed.

You're just making CD look worse. Because this means the game engine is complete garbage. When you have GTA V and Watchdog's having these car systems.

Top Bottom