Suggestion for Philippa Eilhart nerf.

+
How many of the Gold Cards have a "counter" or have combos you build your entire deck around? I'd argue at least half, like Phillipa, are single use control cards which you keep in your deck in order to counter other things. Iorveth, Triss, and Vernon are all the same, countering specific units. Woodland Spirit is like an entire combo rolled into one card. Any Gold Card that spawns another Gold Card has no "counter". Technically Geralt has no "counter" since he's just a card which can you can't do anything to (there's the play Geralt and run strategy, but that's so common place I'd barely call that strategy).

You can counter Phillipa the same way you counter any attack card - by rebuffing. "But my gold cards!" Well y'know we talk a lot about how OP Gold Cards are but y'know what their big weakness is, and it is a weakness they have on purpose because without it they would be truly overpowered? It's that you can't do anything to them either. That is not a problem with Phillipa. That is how the game works. If you change all of your units to Gold, then you reap big benefits. But you also will have to face facts if someone comes along with a Gold card that CAN effect them. You don't get to demand cards that can hurt your Gold cards be nerfed - that is how Gold cards are meant to be. You CHOOSE to make them Gold after all, to avoid the VERY MANY OTHER counters. So if you are complaining about there being a SINGLE card which can undo that, and then you have to suffer exactly what anyone suffers when Iorveth, Triss, or Vernon cut Geralt down a few pegs, well that's just not fair. That's just salt. Your counter is to play smarter and not rely so heavily on that singular move and realize, Gold cards have weaknesses too. They need those weaknesses.

I'll tell you what though - we can nerf Phillipa after we nerf Promotion.

How many of the Gold Cards have a "counter" or have combos you build your entire deck around? I'd argue at least half, like Phillipa, are single use control cards which you keep in your deck in order to counter other things. Iorveth, Triss, and Vernon are all the same, countering specific units. Woodland Spirit is like an entire combo rolled into one card. Any Gold Card that spawns another Gold Card has no "counter". Technically Geralt has no "counter" since he's just a card which can you can't do anything to (there's the play Geralt and run strategy, but that's so common place I'd barely call that strategy).

You can counter Phillipa the same way you counter any attack card - by rebuffing. "But my gold cards!" Well y'know we talk a lot about how OP Gold Cards are but y'know what their big weakness is, and it is a weakness they have on purpose because without it they would be truly overpowered? It's that you can't do anything to them either. That is not a problem with Phillipa. That is how the game works. If you change all of your units to Gold, then you reap big benefits. But you also will have to face facts if someone comes along with a Gold card that CAN effect them. You don't get to demand cards that can hurt your Gold cards be nerfed - that is how Gold cards are meant to be. You CHOOSE to make them Gold after all, to avoid the VERY MANY OTHER counters. So if you are complaining about there being a SINGLE card which can undo that, and then you have to suffer exactly what anyone suffers when Iorveth, Triss, or Vernon cut Geralt down a few pegs, well that's just not fair. That's just salt. Your counter is to play smarter and not rely so heavily on that singular move and realize, Gold cards have weaknesses too. They need those weaknesses.

I'll tell you what though - we can nerf Phillipa after we nerf Promotion.
the problem with that is that phillipa elihart is used almost exclusive as the last card in a match.

Yourfacetm I see your point about weather decks and their playstyle. Nevertheless, until Clear Skies works like it used to (restore units to their pre-weathered state), weather-heavy decks are going to dominate the meta, in my opinion. With so many weather cards they just hard-counter most decks by default. Even those with 3 Clear Skies.

As for Philippa card, I'm not saying that it's fine. It's, obviously, quite OP, but so are weather cards.

I think there is a confusion over what her design goal is. The designers are trying to punish players who are going all in on a single row of offense.

One very big difference between Phillipa and other cards people don't like is that she can be played around. While Hawker Support requires you to draw specific cards to handle, Phillipa is countered for the most part by not over extending in to a specific row. If you have 15 power on a row with 3, Phillipa changes that in to 9.

I actually think Phillipa is perhaps one of the best designed cards for what she is intended for. You are punished for playing greedily against a deck that can contain her.

If you want to nerf her, you will actually end up buffing her, which continues to make her a curiously clever card ... if you make her power 8, she plays on your own side for value in to an empty row... but obviously, your opponent has to be playing more greedy to make playing her to their side a good idea.

Wertandrew;n6857810 said:
Oh Phillipa...

This video is what i was talking about. Rain would have had almost exactly the same effect. In fact rain would have been better by 2 points in this game.

Last edited:
Philippa should be neutral, that's all. There is not too much good anti pumped spawn counters.
She is gold any row weather card, but she gives 6. So, make her unloyal only and pump str for 8? Or 2/6 loyal/unloyal?

Last edited:
istred;n6861810 said:
Philippa should be neutral, that's all. There is not too much good anti pumped spawn counters.
She is gold any row weather card, but she gives 6. So, make her unloyal only and pump str for 8? Or 2/6 loyal/unloyal?

How would that balance out the card ? To make it Neutral only mean you will see her even more.
And neutral already have cards that does that. Less powerfull as neutral should be.

For now, she is op for NK. If she becomes op for all, then she will be just gold counter. Raghnarok but with str. (i supose str min/max loyal /disloyal)
I don't think neutrals should be less powerfull, neuts are here against paper/scisor/rock schem.

Philippa is one of those cards that encourage smart play instead of greedy play. If you're allowed to dump everything into one row, buff it with Commander's Horn, Adrenaline, Promote and whatever else there won't be much tactic about the game. You have three rows - use them to avoid Philippa.

At this rate we'll see people complaining about Scorch/Geralt:Igni being OP, because an opponent used it as his/her last move to kill your 100+ buffed unit :) Yes, I love trolling my opponents who tend to overbuff their one card :) If I had Philippa, I'd happily add her to my troll cards collection to punish cheap tactics.

Top Bottom