Suggestion for Philippa Eilhart nerf.

+
Suggestion for Philippa Eilhart nerf.

So, as you all probably already know, Philippa is currently a bit OP in the Gwent beta. I have a suggestion for nerfing her so she is not as powerful. Make her a silver card, and when she is removed the cards that were previously debuffed do not stay debuffed. Instead either reset them to their original strength, or reset them to the strength they were before the Philippa play (with buffs and all).

What do you guys think?

both regis and phillipa need nerfs.
- i dont see a problem with phillipias ability in itself but its impossible to play around and requires no setup. you just play her as the last card of a round/match and win. i think her ability needs to have a timer like borkh three jackdaws so you have to setup for maximum effect but opponenent can alos play around it.

-regis is insanely powerful. a 6 strength gold card is good by itself, but then in most cases cant be removed and comes back the next round even stronger and harder to remove at 10. i think one of his forms needs to convert to silver when played, so he is more suceptible to removal, but still take up a gold slot in the decks he is played in.

I have a suggestion for nerfing her so she is not as powerful. Make her a silver card, and when she is removed the cards that were previously debuffed do not stay debuffed.

(1) From a lore perspective, I don't think Phillippa should be a silver card. She's two important of a character in the series. She should be a gold card.
(2) If one did want to make her silver, I think the debuff should stay.

I don't play NR and agree she can be OP against certain builds ... but I don't like this solution as it makes the card much less useful.

I do like the idea to trigger the ability after 1-2 rounds. So you can't play it as the last card.

How about restricting her to debuff non-gold units to 1 and gold units to half their strength, instead of 1 for them as well?

How about restricting her to debuff non-gold units to 1 and gold units to half their strength, instead of 1 for them as well?
the bigger problem is she has such a powerful effect that cant be countered because it takes places immediately. cards with immediate effects either have smaller stats or the ability is very limited. Phillipa is neither.
cards that have immediate effects have to be migitited by poor stats or requirements to use the effect. the problem is phillipa is always placed last, so her stats really dont matter and the opponenent has no chance to setup their board to counter her because her effect is immediate. she needs a timer so her ability has to be setup up and gives the opponent a possibility to play around her.

making her silver is a bad idea. She is fine atm. If you want to nerf something, nerf Regis or Roach

I don't really see how she is fine. She wipes out an entire row including gold cards and as far as I know there is zero counter to this. At least weather effects both sides and everyone can use clear sky's. Phillippa is ridiculous.

I don't really know why the devs think that it should effect gold units at all. It's really counter intuitive to on one hand have just about nothing effect gold cards and then all of the sudden there is a gold card that can wipe other gold cards. Really doesn't make sense to me.

I do like the idea to trigger the ability after 1-2 rounds. So you can't play it as the last card.

That would make her really ineffective tbh, if you use her in the final round it's very rare she's actually effective in my experience because it's too late.

That would make her really ineffective tbh, if you use her in the final round it's very rare she's actually effective in my experience because it's too late.
besides all the times where she basically eliminates like minimum 20 strength on average at the last turn of a game?, and she has no counter, cant be played around since her effect is immediate? the best time to user her is when your opponenent cant build significant row strength whih is almost always with 1 card left or opponent with none.

Another way to deal with it would be to create a counter for it. I suggest the following:
"A neutral card that nullifies the effect of the last card used" - Space Time Ciri?

It would probably be a lot of coding for the devs to deal with all the effects, but boy would it add so much fun to the game. And to make it so everyone gets a chance to use this after Phillipa, we could add a countdown of 1 turn for Phillipa to activate, which means it can't be abused as the last card and thus gives players a chance to use the above card I mentioned after Phillipa.

Just adding a countdown to Phillipa isn't going to do much, since players can't really do much to counter it. People need to have a counter, which the above card would provide.

Last edited:
You can counter Phillipa by playing Dimeterium Bomb (or at least, you should be able too).

Currently she's the only counter to the Northern Realms all Gold nonsense. She doesn't need a Nerf - when your opponent plays a card you will lose a little bit. At the very least you will lose a card you must play to counter it. Not being able to fully recover doesn't make her overpowered - she's a Gold card. She's meant to be a heavy hit. But by that logic all the Gold cards are "overpowered". They're not. You play around her with Dimeterium.

"But my units are Gold!" Well schucks, am I meant to feel bad for that combo that literally nothing else can combat if you manage to finish it? Don't rely on a single combo in your deck then.

PS. There are other Gold units that can deal damage to her. Or just play with Radovid. She is not invincible.

You can counter Phillipa by playing Dimeterium Bomb (or at least, you should be able too).

Two problem with that argument:
1. Dimeritium Bomb doesn't restore all the buffs that you might have set up.
2. Phillipa can be used as the last card and this doesn't allow the opponent to counter.

So, like I said, no problem with Phillipa's ability, but have a stronger version of the Dimeritium bomb (restore all cards to how they were before with all the buffs and what not) as a counter card, and add at least a 1-turn counter to Phillipa.

Currently she's the only counter to the Northern Realms all Gold nonsense. She doesn't need a Nerf - when your opponent plays a card you will lose a little bit. At the very least you will lose a card you must play to counter it. Not being able to fully recover doesn't make her overpowered - she's a Gold card. She's meant to be a heavy hit. But by that logic all the Gold cards are "overpowered". They're not. You play around her with Dimeterium.

"But my units are Gold!" Well schucks, am I meant to feel bad for that combo that literally nothing else can combat if you manage to finish it? Don't rely on a single combo in your deck then.

PS. There are other Gold units that can deal damage to her. Or just play with Radovid. She is not invincible.

So by your logic, the only way to beat northern realms gold nonsense is to run northern realms? C'mon. I've been running a northern realms deck for the past two days and if my opponent plays the game then my gold combo is usually in jeopardy . What does win me almost every single game is Phillipa. I feel like 99% of the time I play her, I win. She definitely needs a tweak. I would suggest keeping her the same but instead of putting golds to 1, she reduces their strength by half.

One card, Dimeritium bomb, is not enough of a reason to say its balanced. By your logic again, you would have to run a NR deck that uses Dime bomb which sounds terrible. Bomb returns non golds to original strength so it isn't even that great of a counter because you will still lose your buffs (the opponent will always play this card last).

Two problem with that argument:
1. Dimeritium Bomb doesn't restore all the buffs that you might have set up.
2. Phillipa can be used as the last card and this doesn't allow the opponent to counter.

So, like I said, no problem with Phillipa's ability, but have a stronger version of the Dimeritium bomb (restore all cards to how they were before with all the buffs and what not) as a counter card, and add at least a 1-turn counter to Phillipa.
Id rather fix Phillipa then mess with Dimeritium Bomb. Dime bomb is supposed to be a one time use against buff decks to keep them in check.

Top Bottom