Suggestion: Gimpy should get a slight nerf

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Gimply should, at the max, get break-even when he kills two units. Doing 3 damage itself is pretty oppressive, and Gimply get +1 provisions -> point advantage when he gets two targets. Even if he gets only one target, it is still not very bad. He can still be used to take down powerful engines like Vysogota. When he kills two 3 point body, most of the times it is on engines or 'summon from deck' cards which are completely shut down.

Cards like Portal which is 13 provisions can be made completely useless by Gimply as Portal is only used for 4 provisions engines which have 3 power mostly. There are plenty of oppressive control units, but Gimpy tops it all. I agree that there should be a card like Gimpy to keep certain builds in check, but Gimpy shouldn't be risk free. So, I suggest that Gimpy has only 2 point body. Let him break-even if he gets two units, or let him pay 3 provision deficit. Or even better, let Gimpy has 9 provisions.

Option 1:
Gimpy - 9 provisions: Same ability/stat as he has now.

Option 2:
Gimpy - 8 provisions: 2 Power: Ability is the same as he has now.

What is your thoughts on this suggestion?

4RM3D

Ex-moderator

Gimpy is below average in some situations, okay in most and insane in a few rare direct counters (Draug). Because of this weird... power curve, it's difficult to properly balance him. Giving him more provisions or less strength is not a good solution long term.

The most important thing is the difference with cards like Unicorn and Chironex. The duo was in every deck because of the raw potential value and flexibility, while Gimpy is just a tech card that usually only finds a slot in heavy removal decks.

As such, I would either leave him alone or change his ability altogether. But nerfing him? No.

This card is so common in rank game now. I do know that Gerwin superior option compared to other 8 provision faction cards since there are so many instant spawn cards like Wild Hunt Rider, Water of Brokilon, Mahakam Volunteers, etc.

BUT it is devastating to some decks, like Arachas Queen, Draug Henselt, and NR decks with Blue Stripes combo

Here is my suggestion to Gerwin: damage all compies by 1, or damage two copies by 3

Totally agree. Since Arachas Queenie don't like damage all units when it's not her turn the limited damage to 2 units of 3 sounds perfect, maybe the provision of Gimpy should be higher then 8 as a 3d solution.

Right now Gimpy is so powerful that this card alone is reducing deck variety...

I think that is OK to get an anti swarm card, but at least it should brick in other situations. Right now the card is worth even with 1 target... my proposition would be something more like:

"Deal 1 damage to target and each copy. Increase the number by one for every target damaged"

And maybe at 9 prov... or reducing its base power

I agree with you 100%. Gimpy is one of those cards that everyone seems to run now because it shuts down a few styles of playing and it also gets you more value than its provision cost. I would prefer it doing less damage because three is quite a lot. In the long run, this card will get you more value than most cards.

Make him 8 provisions, 4 power, decrease abilitty damage by 1 and limit the number of damage targets to two

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Gimpy is another card with high variance, which is always a problem. Reduce his variance: limit his ability to damage max 2 cards or reduce his damage to 2 and then make it max 3 cards.

Maybe a solution would be if you don't have extra copies, Gerwin can't deal any damage at all. If you have extra copies, he can deal damage. It's simple and fair.

This card is so common in rank game now. I do know that Gerwin superior option compared to other 8 provision faction cards since there are so many instant spawn cards like Wild Hunt Rider, Water of Brokilon, Mahakam Volunteers, etc.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Wanna make Witchers garbage? Okay, time to use faction specific bronze thinning tools. What do many of those have in common? They pop 2 copies of the same unit. What makes Gimpy valuable? Hitting 2+ copies of the same unit. Toss in the ability to mass murder certain swarm strategies as icing on the cake. The Gimpy mystery isn't very mysterious.

One problem... Gimpy is a variable card. If there are two copies of a unit on a board it's a good card. Call this the condition of Gimpy. If there are not two copies of a unit on the board it's not a very good card. Plenty of other deploy, control options are probably a better choice. If you design a variable card in a way where it cannot provide value above cost in the perfect scenario, or when it's condition is met, it stops being a very good variable card. Put differently, if your options are between value equal to cost in a perfect scenario or value below cost in a non-perfect scenario you would be better off playing a card capable of reliably achieving value at or close to the cost.

I'm not claiming the card is fine. The ability to utterly destroy certain concepts is a bit much. That could easily be solved with, say, some type of target cap. 9 for 8 vs 6 for 8 isn't really a problem, IMO. It's not like it's 11 for 9 with a shield or anything.

Last edited:
Gimpy Gerwin
Power: 3
Provision: 8
Ability: Deploy, Melee: Damage an enemy and all copies of it by 2. If it has no copy damage it by 3 instead.

A neutral that's 6:8 and becomes 7:8 when condition is met.

Nerf this and nerf that. If there is no overall balancing regarding the entire card pool, you will find that there is always better choice which will become nearly auto-included. Gerwin has been nerfed not long before, like 2 months maybe. And now the need to nerf rise again simply because after the nerf of witcher trio, players had to achieve thinning with faction-based 2-copy cards. A little bit disappointed about the way Dev make card balances, though they always respond quickly to community feedbacks.

Is it only me thinking that Scoia'tael should be nerfed? They are the most op faction at the moment. My argument is that when i reached rank 1 i only play against Scoia'tael 10/10 matches.

Is it only me thinking that Scoia'tael should be nerfed? They are the most op faction at the moment. My argument is that when i reached rank 1 i only play against Scoia'tael 10/10 matches.

Scoia is fine, the only card I hate from the new expansion in Scoia is that Movement Boar, but only because you can choose which enemy attack with that thing. It should be random damage on an enemy unit.

Also Regis: Bloodlust is disgusting af* I can't understand why that creature is fine in it's current state and why Regis: Higher Vampire was nerfed into oblivion. No sense.

I'd say Gimpy is one of those cards not only around in almost all decks, it did increase my winrate with a 100%. I'd call that OP for sure.

Gimpy is ok.
What needs nerf is :
Gregoire (10 with shield and deal 1 dmg) for 9 prov is too good. Autoinclude in every deck atm
and Corall (4 deal 3+3+2 dmg and discard 2) for 9 prov is insane. Autoinclude in every SK deck

Gimpy is ok.
What needs nerf is :
Gregoire (10 with shield and deal 1 dmg) for 9 prov is too good. Autoinclude in every deck atm
and Corall (4 deal 3+3+2 dmg and discard 2) for 9 prov is insane. Autoinclude in every SK deck
Let's keep on topic about Gimpy. In the topic about Treant Boar, you write "No to RNG". To me, large variance cards like Gimpy are just another form of bad RNG, so he is definitely not ok.

Top Bottom