[Suggestion] Observer Mode

+
[Suggestion] Observer Mode

We need some kind of way to observe games in order to organize and broadcast custom tournaments and leagues.

This is also crucial for the game if there ever is going to be competitive Gwent scene.

trulez;n6907780 said:
We need some kind of way to observe games in order to organize and broadcast custom tournaments and leagues.
This is also crucial for the game if there ever is going to be competitive Gwent scene.

Couldn't agree less, but it's not a priority in the beta.

I'm certain they have plans for it anyway.

I definitely agree that a proper tournament/commentator mode should be implemented. I'd also argue that observer should not see the cards player have in their hands, but rather should be able to see their decklists.

Half-a-Cat;n6908070 said:
I definitely agree that a proper tournament/commentator mode should be implemented. I'd also argue that observer should not see the cards player have in their hands, but rather should be able to see their decklists.
I think the observer must see cards in hand too.

From watching professional poker tournaments I much prefer those that show the hand cards over those that do not. They both have their own merits but I think the biggest difference is audience "participation". What I mean by that is if you can see the cards both players hold, you can also most likely see or figure out the absolutely best play, and what's the obvious play, at any given time.

Magic the Gathering tournament feeds on Twitch also let you see cards in hand. It's much more exciting to see what the players are thinking and why they chose what they played, and without the full knowledge of their hand we can never know why he played that exact card at that moment.

Being able to watch a game in real-time and see everything that all players have is a terrible idea that just allows cheaters to "peek" at their opponents' decks*. Allowing games to be reviewed 5 minutes after they're done, on the other hand, would be fine.

* Don't tell me this couldn't/wouldn't happen. All it takes is use of a third-party communication program, like Skype or Discord. A single person multi-boxing or a couple of people working together would be all it would take to watch over an opponent's shoulder and figure out what they'd need to do to counter their opponent's strategy. This is why poker broadcasts that show everyone's hands delay by several minutes - so that the current hand can't be influenced by outsiders.

trulez;n6910920 said:
I think the observer must see cards in hand too.

From watching professional poker tournaments I much prefer those that show the hand cards over those that do not. They both have their own merits but I think the biggest difference is audience "participation". What I mean by that is if you can see the cards both players hold, you can also most likely see or figure out the absolutely best play, and what's the obvious play, at any given time.

Magic the Gathering tournament feeds on Twitch also let you see cards in hand. It's much more exciting to see what the players are thinking and why they chose what they played, and without the full knowledge of their hand we can never know why he played that exact card at that moment.

My problem with seeing hands of opponents in Gwent is that it's absolutely different experience from MtG and other games where you draw cards each turn. Here you have all your cards on your hand from the beginnig, and experienced commentator can predict all lines of play, making games dull. It's also a great exploit for cheats.

they are working on this. But I sincerely hope they give an early-access version to some better known casters so they can utilize them sooner than the bigger crowd. Not only to enjoy it sooner for streaming tournaments, but also to test it for feedback. I've seen other games give out early-acess spectator modes to trustworthy people. It boosted the respect for that company a lot. Everyone was really grateful they could finally watch some tournaments.

Nekojin;n6911040 said:
Being able to watch a game in real-time and see everything that all players have is a terrible idea that just allows cheaters to "peek" at their opponents' decks*. Allowing games to be reviewed 5 minutes after they're done, on the other hand, would be fine.

* Don't tell me this couldn't/wouldn't happen. All it takes is use of a third-party communication program, like Skype or Discord. A single person multi-boxing or a couple of people working together would be all it would take to watch over an opponent's shoulder and figure out what they'd need to do to counter their opponent's strategy. This is why poker broadcasts that show everyone's hands delay by several minutes - so that the current hand can't be influenced by outsiders.
Depends on what we want.

If the observer mode lets anyone join any game at any point, then cards need to be hidden. But if it instead only allows joining at the start of a game, either player can kick the observer and they can't rejoin, then I don't see any problem because it really couldn't be used to cheat.

Also for Twitch broadcasting, there's always the delay that can be set to like 10 or 15 minutes, allowing no chance of cheating even if you decide to "stream snipe".

Last edited:
Top Bottom