Suggestion - Official in-game Mods

+
As the title suggest I think having in-game mod support is perfect for this game. The Biggest being that it's not just for PC, but for the next-gen consoles (Similar to Skyrim) release and people like me who play on the cloud. Remember, back during the release it wasn't just the PC version that was viable, but also Stadia and GeForce Now (which now has a 3080 Tier). It would be a good way for people who either can't afford or have a PC rig and want to try out the mods.

It could be a good 10-20 from big to minor that could be selected in the options menu or main selection screen. Settings for each would be adjusted/curated for most optimal performance for what hardware you're on. incompatible mods would automatically toggle on and off when selected, and the Modders selected would be compensated for their incredible work.

Some that could be included

-ReShades (Multiple)
-Better Minimap
-Limited HUD

-Weather Probability Rebalance
-Better Finer Rain

-Respector
-Full Gameplay Rebalance
-Alternate Crowd Behavior and Other Tweaks
-Lifepath Bonuses and Gang-Corp Traits

-Cyber Vehicle Overhaul
-Cyber Drifting - Crowds and Traffic

-StreetStyle - Immersive Fashion System

They're others that other people can name and this might be a pipedream, but these mods exist and it would be nice to be able to access them without needing a local pc rig. I'm aware of Shadow PC but that would defeat the purpose because of price point and it's GPU. Also, I'm aware that they hired some modders already.

But best of all, I think it would appease the majority of the fans and would give developers more time for DLC and Story content, as well as including some mods into future updates officially.

I hope this happens but not excluding last-gen consoles. The way they created a menu, from the main menu, to enable/disable dlcs gives me hope this will also ve used for mods but only time will tell.

On PCs, all is possible :)
At least, a menu option for choose which mods that you want to activate or not, even if you have to put them manually in a "mods" folder.

On consoles, whatever the generation, it will be very (very) unlikely :(
And even with in-game mods support like Skyrim, the restrictions imposed by Microsoft and Sony are not "mod friendly" at all. In short all the mods listed above have certainly no chance to be available on console (even less on Playstation). On console on Skyrim, mods are "allowed", yes. But they must not modify the game and must not add new things. Which is a little bit annoying when we're talking about mods... o_O
Sony Restriction on Bethesda Games
What specifically is blocked?
The SONY block on external assets in free community mods covers:
  • New models (so any shape that doesn't already exist in the game files whether that's weapons, armor, body etc)
  • Altered models (to add snap points, to remove part of a model like the arm-piece of Kellogg's armor etc)
  • New color patterns (recolors of existing patterns etc)
  • New .bgsm 'linkage' files to enable high quality material swaps (aka color swaps) linking an item model to an existing color pattern for another item in a way that retains the fine details and shape of the model.
  • New scripts (which run in game either via a pipboy menu, an onscreen toggle, or just in the background and change the way certain parts of the game function)
  • New Precombined Environment data (which is a key component of the game optimization to reduce processor load on weak hardware like consoles)
  • New Long Distance View data
  • New Sound Files
This isn't an exhaustive list - there are various other things that are blocked, and not all of these are files brought into the mod - some like precombines and scripts are actually generated by the CK but as they are stored in an archive file automatically are treated as external and blocked.

At least, a menu option for choose which mods that you want to activate or not, even if you have to put them manually in a "mods" folder.

And even with in-game mods support like Skyrim, the restrictions imposed by Microsoft and Sony are not "mod friendly" at all. In short all the mods listed above have certainly no chance to be available on console (even less on Playstation). On console on Skyrim, mods are "allowed", yes. But they must not modify the game and must not add new things. Which is a little bit annoying when we're talking about mods... o_O
Yes it is. I hope (not too hopeful) that a similar format for mods on console for CP77 comes to happen but with all those restrictions on changing assets

Oh. Thanks for the qualification. That would leave very few options. Maybe they could have some of the cosmetic/HUD stuff kind of bundled as a DLC? but unlikely.

It would be nice to at least to see it come to cloud and for pc users as easy access. Playing the PC quality version is dope for Stadia and GFN users. After playing it on GFN 3080 Tier on my tv it blew my mind, and seeing the quality of the mods that addressed/tweaked many on the things I wanted, just makes me hope the idea can catch on in some form.

It would be nice to at least to see it come to cloud and for pc users as easy access. Playing the PC quality version is dope for Stadia and GFN users. After playing it on GFN 3080 Tier on my tv it blew my mind, and seeing the quality of the mods that addressed/tweaked many on the things I wanted, just makes me hope the idea can catch on in some form.
I talk without really knowing, but the big problem on GFN (Stadia or any "online playing plateform") that I can see, it's using mods require to host these mods on they own servers and not "locally" like on PCs (servers who are not "free", each MB cost money). And also because mods are from "external" develloppers (modders), CDPR and/or the playing platform have to be sure that mods are complatible and also don't create problems (like crash the game or worst, including a malware... quite unlikely, but possible).

But it's just my guesses. On your own PC, you do whatever you want :)

I talk without really knowing, but the big problem on GFN (Stadia or any "online playing plateform") that I can see, it's using mods require to host these mods on they own servers and not "locally" like on PCs (servers who are not "free", each MB cost money). And also because mods are from "external" develloppers (modders), CDPR and/or the playing platform have to be sure that mods are complatible and also don't create problems (like crash the game or worst, including a malware... quite unlikely, but possible).

But it's just my guesses. On your own PC, you do whatever you want :)

Make since, I can see that.

Also, as I said in the original post, it would be an Official mod list within the game itself. So, it would come through an Official update with its own menu in the settings of the game, like the options menu or selection screen. The settings for each mod would be adjusted and curated for most optimal performance for what you're on. incompatible mods would automatically toggle on and off when selected. it would be an Official part of the game, so it wouldn't matter what cloud service it's on because it would be just a simple game update. But it's all hypothetical

I do own a laptop; the majority of people own pcs, but mine isn't powerful enough. That's why cloud services are such a great and cheaper alternative. Being able to play high end hardware that would cost way too much otherwise, makes playing games like this at that level accessible to more people. Just think it would be cool if some of those mods was also more accessible for the wider CP community. Those mods and the modders are pretty dope.

Make since, I can see that.

Also, as I said in the original post, it would be an Official mod list within the game itself. So, it would come through an Official update with its own menu in the settings of the game, like the options menu or selection screen. The settings for each mod would be adjusted and curated for most optimal performance for what you're on. incompatible mods would automatically toggle on and off when selected. it would be an Official part of the game, so it wouldn't matter what cloud service it's on because it would be just a simple game update. But it's all hypothetical

I do own a laptop; the majority of people own pcs, but mine isn't powerful enough. That's why cloud services are such a great and cheaper alternative. Being able to play high end hardware that would cost way too much otherwise, makes playing games like this at that level accessible to more people. Just think it would be cool if some of those mods was also more accessible for the wider CP community. Those mods and the modders are pretty dope.
I don't say it won't be great, 'cause mods are generally great (or at least, for those who use them) and modders does a great "free" (important) work ;)
But mods can't be official by anyway. That's the problem there.

Let imagine, the game receive an update. Who "know" if mods are compatible or not ?
(Mods can broke totally unrelated parts of the game... so testing them require time/work. And as we said, time/work is money).
- CDPR ? Unlikely, it's not their own work and can't garantee or test mods created by independants devs to their society.
- Playing platforms ? Also unlikely, as long as the mods would be hosted for free. I imagine if modders must have to pay for hosting their mods (and the verification of their mods for each update), mods won't be longer free... (ok, modders work for free, but also share their work for free, it cost "nothing" except their "work time").

It's all matter of who would pay for this service (CDPR, playing platforms, modders or customers), because someone have to pay anyway.

Let also imagine the worst case ever...
The game receive an update and a mod seem to be compatible (after few hours of testing). Players use it without any problem until they reach a mid-game quest. At this time, the game crash, saves are corrupted and the game remains unplayable until a full reinstallation on the server...
What a mess ! :)

Last edited:
It's entirely possible.

One doesn't need to look much further than Skyrim's Anniversary edition for proof that an "official" mod list is entirely possible. Problem is that it's a lot of work and creates further hurdles.

If I remember correctly, Skyrim's Anniversary edition include 500(?) mods from the creation club. That means that all of these individual mods have to be tested separately and together extensively. The entire thing also has to go through Sony's and MS' validation process to make it onto those platforms. It might not seem like a huge ordeal but it is.

Anyone who has added 200+ mods to a Bethesda game can attest to how hard it can be to get it all to work together well without crashing or breaking massive parts of the game. Dirty mods, broken mods, load orders, shared files, etc. The list of things that can go wrong is massive. That's all work that would be shifted onto CDPR. It's their game, they're developing and publishing it and as such the burden of making it all work together for the public would fall on them. Which means costs. Costs means someone has to pay.

It's why the Skyrim Anniversary edition costs 20$USD.

Furthermore, unlike Bethesda, CDPR hasn't been developing tools and building their games and engines around modding for nearly two decades. Simply put, there are no other games out there that offers the vast potential for mod integration that Bethesda's games do. Without knowing the kind of tools and integration that might be coming to CP2077 and potentially future games using the REDengine it's quite impossible to gauge how big of a challenge this would all be. With modding for CP2077 as it is right now, you can be certain that it is not happening.

Bottom line is this - it's entirely possible but it's not likely to happen at all.

As for cloud gaming and modding, it's also possible but highly unlikely. Stadia is a mess, it's been a mess since it's induction and will probably fade away in the coming years. GFN is pretty good and seems to be doing well. If I had not been able to get my hands on a 3080TI I would probably try out their new and improved service myself, I've only heard good things. Yet, the game are purely hosted on their servers. To be able to mod those would require Nvidia to give you deeper access to their system. For a whole lot of legal and security reasons, that is not happening. Maybe in a few years, if the service gains even more traction and modding become less of a niche they could work on something that would also allow safe modding on their service.

in the meantime, you might want to take a look at ShadowPC. I stopped following it a while ago and there were talks of them being bought out not so long ago. I know it still exists but since it's been so long I can't attest to how good the service is or how reliable it is. It basically created a virtual PC for you to use giving you access to top of the line hardware and the same experience you would on a regular PC. Meaning modding was entirely possible. It was fairly expensive though and, again, I cannot attest to whether it is worth the expense or not.

Last edited:
Anything is possible with the power of hope, lol.

As mentioned in origin post, CDPR are already hiring modders for the game. The required testing, time, work, and money, has already started happening. I simply took the idea a step further. There's already been worst case scenarios as the official game itself had save corruptions, crashes, and backlash.

I don't know much about the infrastructure, or the potential future games on the REDengine. But, as mentioned in origin post, it would only be a handful of mods like 10 or so, or a number that would be manageable enough to figure out what works together or not or partially, or dirty, broken, load orders, shared files etc. The list of things that can go wrong is not that massive. That is all work that has already been shifted into CDPR. It's their game, and they're already started re-developing it, and as such, taking on the burden.

The idea is to take a small, curated pool, spread it out in a way to incorporated in-game, and making it available for wilder platforms in a modest package. So, having a package specifically for that purpose, and acquiring it, would be taking a risk. Everything has a risk. And having a convenient way to enable that package on different platforms does sound like something that would cost money, that people would, if they so choose, pay for, of course. Even for those on pc who might just what to use it for the simple convenience.

Also, as mentioned in origin post, I'm aware of Shadow PC but that would defeat the purpose because of price point and it's GPU. Stadia is a mess, but it's tech is the truth. Rather it fades away or not, that tech won't, and they already started using it as a white label. For people who play CP2077 on it, it would be a nice addition to a platform that has a version of the game that the audience enjoyed when the game first released. GFN uses the pc version, so if you purchase the add-on on your storefront, it would simply become available in game like any other dlc/add-on.

I totally understand and agree with everyone's points, and again, as mentioned in original post, I know it's pretty much a pipe dream. But I feel that the direction/future the game is going in, is going the right direction and is giving me hope for its further improvements, it just taking time. And in the meantime, all those bigger issues I've had with it has been address through just a handful of mods. I know the game will eventually get there, hopefully. But right now, be pretty dope for a modest paid package with a few choice mods could be more accessible for the wider audience.

The real question is, if it was possible, which mod would you pick? if you could just pick one, or one's you like etc.

Happy Holidays! by the way. Hope everyone's well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom