[Suggestion/Request] Standardized Mod Slots by Rarity

+
One of the most annoying things about this game is when I upgrade a purple iconic gun with three mod slots to legendary, and now only have one slot. Yes you can save and "reroll" for better, but the random aspect of this strikes me as an unnecessary pain in the butt. And it creates situations where even lowly uncommon items can be much more powerful than legendary items. To correct this I would like to see the number of mod slots (not including dedicated slots for things like scopes or muzzles) standardized across all items based on rarity, as follows.

White/Common items: zero slots
Green/Uncommon items: a single slot
Blue/Rare items: two slots
Purple/Epic items: three slots
Orange/Legendary items: guarantied four slots

As I said above, these are just slots for general mods. Dedicated slots for things like sights and barrels would still be counted separately, and Jackie's pistol would break the mold thanks to its dedicated bonus slot iconic effect. Please and thank you.

Yep, was thinking the same thing earlier today while reloading a quicksave to get an armor drop to spawn as 3* legendary.
It's a single player game. Spending 15mins reloading for RNG isn't fun.

Say a legendary hat drops without any sockets. What makes it legendary? Any single-socket alternative is vastly superior.
It has a tiny bit more base armor, but attaching a single crafted armor mod gives ludicrously more than that.

Should either be standardize sockets, or nerf mods (specifically the armor one) so sockets aren't the be-all end-all of gearing.

Really the whole crafting system needs serious tuning, but that's neither here nor there.

Yep, was thinking the same thing earlier today while reloading a quicksave to get an armor drop to spawn as 3* legendary.
It's a single player game. Spending 15mins reloading for RNG isn't fun.

Say a legendary hat drops without any sockets. What makes it legendary? Any single-socket alternative is vastly superior.
It has a tiny bit more base armor, but attaching a single crafted armor mod gives ludicrously more than that.

Should either be standardize sockets, or nerf mods (specifically the armor one) so sockets aren't the be-all end-all of gearing.

Really the whole crafting system needs serious tuning, but that's neither here nor there.

Agreed. A single piece of armor with four epic armadillo mods in it is best in slot, regardless of rarity.

That's not going to be corrected; it's part of our conditioning for the upcoming monetization scam...so is the rest of the in-game menu.

I second this!

I would prefer fixed stats and mod slots as per rarity and item type:
Small Clothing Items (Shoes, Face, Head)
  • None - no upgrades
  • None - upgrade to crafting lvl 2
  • One Slot - upgrade to crafting lvl 8
  • Two Slots - upgrade to crafting lvl 14
  • Three Slots - upgrade to crafting lvl 20
Large Clothing Items (Jacket, Shirt, Pants)
  • None - no upgrades
  • One Slot - upgrade to crafting lvl 2
  • Two Slots - upgrade to crafting lvl 8
  • Three Slots - upgrade to crafting lvl 14
  • Four Slots - upgrade to crafting lvl 20
Iconic Items should automatically be legendary and have some unique properties, (how about some unique combat abilities - using the grenade button) and should be upgradable like any other legendary item (max 20).

Weapons have slots based on type, which makes sense, but should also follow similar fixed rules when it comes to stats and mod slots, and special properties for unique equipment.
No RNG at all, when it comes to the stats and slots!! It's really not necessary. Variations come from perks.

The crafting perks that add a certain percentile to item stats, should only apply a fixed percentage, without any RNG, whenever the item is upgraded, but not when crafted. Crafting should produce items with fixed and predefined stats, based on the crafting pattern. (could actually work that way now - i did not test it)
A crafter would still benefit massively from a higher perk level, as the constant bonus adds up when you upgrade to level 20. But the whole item system would be way more intuitive, and more in sync with a pen and paper RPG. This is not a looter anyway; yet it feels a little bit like it tries to be, when it's absolutely unnecessary for a real RPG.

Currently I am mixing and matching some cool looking crafted and iconic legendaries, and my guess is, most will do it in a similar fashion. The stats should and are way more arbitrary anyway, since most depends on the mods you put in the slots. That's ok, lets embrace that and allow for a wider range of looks, when the basic properties become less important.

What I would really love to see is a kind of fashion bonus, like a buff or special ability (grenade button) you get from mixing specific items with each other - with some optical effects (hologram, lights, smoke, other style/non combat abilities) that incite a reaction of the crowd around you.
Imagine you could make a do-not-cross-line if you wear a full set of NCPD armour, or call for a small drone that makes a quick sweep (just for looks) if you wear MilTec, or a cool quick holo-guitar riff, when you wear all of Silverhand's outfit, etc. etc..

Top Bottom