[Suggestion] Rework card-drawing spies

+
[Suggestion] Rework card-drawing spies

In this post I’m going to discuss card-drawing spies only (Cantarella and Co) so whenever I mention spies it is about this type of the spies only.

So I see the following problems with the card-drawing spies at the moment.

1. Power disparity.
2. Availability disparity.
3. Autoinclude.
4. Specific SK only spy problem.

Let’s start with the first one:

#1 Power disparity

Since the new season patch landed we have 2 different powers for the spies 11 (NG, NR) and 12 (MO, SK, ST). Let’s call them Small Spies (SS) and Big Spies (BS). And let’s consider the following situation: person playing a faction with BS is going first at the match and win it. In my experience, it almost always means that this player is at least one card behind. So we proceed to the round 2 and the winner is throwing his BS in an attempt to reestablish the card number parity. But the problem is that his opponent is smart enough to be playing SS and he also has it in his hand. So on the board we have 2 spies with the winner loosing the round due to his spy having more power.

Carryover aside, if you play a faction with BS you are in a considerable disadvantage just because your spies are worse. That’s it for the problem #1.

Now a problem #1a which is relevant to this one. Even if you and your opponent have the same power on the spy bodies and your opponent has some carryover (you do not) then spy exchange will also do not help in restoring the parity in cards. It also applies to Rainfarn as he can play the spy with a body on your side.

So until you are in the situation when you have a spy and your opponent do not, you have pretty low chance to restore the card parity if you were unlucky to go first. Which leads us to another problem.

#2 Availability disparity

The same situation as in the previous problem. You were unlucky to go first but this time you do not have a spy in the first round nor in the second one and your opponent has one. It might very well be the case that with such condition you will win the first round but will pay for it with 2 card disadvantage. And if your opponent doesn’t have any carryover (or Elven Wardancer, for that matter) you will shorten the disparity to 1 card only. And if he actually does have some presence on the board right away the round 2 starts you might proceed with 2(!) cards disadvantage.

Note, that I’m not going to claim that the card disadvantage is a mortal blow and everything else like that. Yes, sometimes you can win even if you have 2 cards less but it is rather unusual and deck specific. I’m not also going to deny a simple fact that some decks might have enough tempo to restore at least one card disadvantage. As I’ve seen it, in general it is not the case and degenerate cases are not what I’m pursuing in this text.

And it is becoming even worse if we consider 2 different deck types: one with thinning and another without it. A thinning deck will have an upper hand in the spies battle as it has better chances to have one in hand.

Summary: if your opponent has a spy and you do not you risk to be in 1-2 cards disadvantage throughout the game. And you can not deny it. You can prevent Ciri, you can prevent Ocvist but you can do nothing about an opponent's spy.

And with that I’m done with the coin-flip related part of the spy problem so let’s move to a different one.

#3 Autoinclude

From my ladder experience there are very little decks which do not have spies in them. In fact I can think only about high-tempo Dwarfs (with NR recently) and Mill Nilfgaard and do not remember anything else. Anyway, almost every single deck which gets played has spy in it. The reasons are shortly described in the previous 2 problems and should be understandable by anyone who is playing the ladder.

Having a spy in every deck creates a rather silly situation: in theory we have 6 slots for silver cards but effectively we have only 5! That reduces diversity and, in my opinion, hampers a user experience with the game. Why? Because spies are not bringing anything to the archetype you are trying to create (except maybe for the spy NG) they are just a burden you have to include because otherwise you will have to play with card disadvantage every single time you happened to get the blue coin-flip. For example, playing a reveal deck I want to include every single card which might synergies with my _reveal_ archetype and Cantarella is a real waste of the slot if we are talking about the reveal thing only.

Summary: [almost] every deck has to include a spy reducing the diversity and forcing a player to include a card he would otherwise never used.

#4 Specific SK only spy problem

This one has nothing to do with other spies but with Udalryk (SK spy) only. This spy works fine with the Discard SK but it doesn’t work with everything else! I’ve been playing Warcry SK since the open beta start and its ability was always harsh to me. In the best case you are presented with a priestess and some bronze unit: it is an easy choice. But given 2 golds or silvers? It is just bad.

Comparing it with other spies non-discard Skellige players are in disadvantage. At least other spies are not punishing their players.

So these are the problems I see with the spies. Now I’d like to present my solution to these problems.

Solutions

I’d like to start with the simple solution to one problem and eventually go deeper and more radical until all the problems presented so far in the text are solved.

So we starting with a simple change: we will set all spies to have the same power. Whether it will be 12, 11 or even 15 is irrelevant. They all will have the same power. It effectively solves the problem #1 but not #1a.

To solve the #1a problem we need first to introduce a radical change to the spy system. We promote (call it demote or whatever) a spy card to a different status. As we have a leader which is a core part of the deck we will have a spy ability which will pertain to the deck. So instead of having it as any other card in deck it is now similar to the leader card in that it is always available to play. So a deck is now becoming a thing with minimum 25 cards, a leader card and a spy card. And it solves problems #2 and #3!

Now we have 6 silver slots which are ours to control and we always know that in case of a dire need we can use our spies to help us in battle! With what I’ve put before we solved #1, #2 and #3 problems. We are yet to solve #1a and #4 but for this we need to go deeper.

Coin-flip solution

Having everything changed according to the previous description we can potentially solve the coin-flip problem. And the solution is actually pretty simple. The spy ability of the deck will be available only to the player who is going first in the match. The player who is going second will not be able to throw his spy in that match.

And this effectively solves the problem #1a which was introduced due to the carryover possibility. As your opponent doesn’t have a spy he has no means to deny your restoring card number parity. So if you started the match and your opponent doesn’t have a spy you are very unlikely to have 2 cards disadvantage with winning the first round. I’d argue that most of the 1st rounds w/o spies are more or less the same: if you are going first then you can win it with 1 card disadvantage. At least it is my experience.

Note, however, that with that change the spies should be changed to not be easily interacted with. You should not be able to kill it with Menno, copy with anything or recast with Emhyr, Decoy you name it. It is one way thing which you cannot deny or repeat. It is not a spy anymore, actually. It is a different game entity the whole purpose of which is to restore the balance. And it also removes the disparity in what spies currently are: spy NG can throw Cantarella with little to none cost in some situations (which aren't rare) gaining a card advantage with almost zero price.

Still this solution requires one more thing to be viable as with what I've described so far a loosing user can actually get an upper hand with the cards: user with a spy (former loser) with that solution will actually get a card advantage if he was 1 card behind and won R1 because he can throw his spy to get one card back and the opponent will have to spend at least one card making him one card behind. So throwing a spy should be the last step a player allowed to do in the round. After he put out his spy he should be forced to pass. It looks more like a workaround than a solution, though. And this is the only thing that bothers me in this solution.

Some might argue that there are situations in which the player who is going first will have an actual advantage over the player going second. I agree with it but I do not see it as a rule rather as an exception. If we look at Hearthstone, for example, you are usually do not like to go second and have a coin in the hand. But if you are a ramp Druid you are actually fine with it and the coin will be your advantage. It is a balance, more or less.

With all that we solved everything except #4 problem.

Finale

If we implemented everything up to this moment why do not we push even harder? Why having different spies with different abilities when we can have a simple coin-like thing? So we remove distinction between spies creating the only one, name it with some fancy name and make it an ability. I believe that the best spy ability is the one from Thaler.

So we have this “coin” as the player ability which he is granted if he is going first. This ability creates a body on your opponent’s part of the table and give you a choice of 2 top cards. You choose one to keep and the other one gets shuffled back into the deck. After you activated the ability you pass.

I really, really like this suggestion. It actually sounds so logical, that it's scary.

Only problem I see is if the opponent that loses the CF and than wins R1 on equal cards. I guess than this Special Card must become unavailable. Like, it must be available only when you are a card or two down. Other ways everybody will CRAVE to lose the CF and than push as hard as they can to win R1, so if they can get this free CA the next round.

Points also for the SK Spy - I really felt it these days when I tried a bit of Axemen.

But I really like this mechanic a lot. Kudos.

Only problem I see is if the opponent that loses the CF and than wins R1 on equal cards.
I may be wrong but it is exactly what my last note in the post about. Yes such a situation is possible but I consider it unlikely since you, as a player who went second, can give up the round at any stage so the player who went first can't create a situation when he wins with equal cards until you help him with it. In this way, well, you created yourself a problem — deal with it.

Anyway this solution or a different one won't be perfect for sure. There will always be situations when one deck or another will have an advantage when going first while another — second. If we look at Hearthstone (where they have not perfect but still a solution) then it is obvious that some decks can actually exploit the free coin and get some advantage while other decks can't. And still going second in HS (as I remember it) is considered in general as a disadvantage. Moreover since you can not control whether you go first or second you can not build your deck around it.

Promoting the status of spy cards is an interesting suggestion. I like that idea a lot!
I'm not convinced about the coin-flip solution though, but that's a very tricky topic on its own.

ixsci;n9522131 said:
#1 Power disparity
Since the new season patch landed we have 2 different powers for the spies 11 (NG, NR) and 12 (MO, SK, ST). Let’s call them Small Spies (SS) and Big Spies (BS). And let’s consider the following situation: person playing a faction with BS is going first at the match and win it. In my experience, it almost always means that this player is at least one card behind. So we proceed to the round 2 and the winner is throwing his BS in an attempt to reestablish the card number parity. But the problem is that his opponent is smart enough to be playing SS and he also has it in his hand. So on the board we have 2 spies with the winner loosing the round due to his spy having more power.
Carryover aside, if you play a faction with BS you are in a considerable disadvantage just because your spies are worse. That’s it for the problem #1.
Now a problem #1a which is relevant to this one. Even if you and your opponent have the same power on the spy bodies and your opponent has some carryover (you do not) then spy exchange will also do not help in restoring the parity in cards. It also applies to Rainfarn as he can play the spy with a body on your side.
So until you are in the situation when you have a spy and your opponent do not, you have pretty low chance to restore the card parity if you were unlucky to go first. Which leads us to another problem.

it's not just a matter of the spy's strength, you also have to consider its effect. yaeven let's you choose between two cards, and allows deckbuilders to target-draw a specific special card; uldaryk let's you choose between two, while also thinning your deck and synergy with discard. thaller also gives you a choice of two cards, which makes him better than cantarella and frightener.

cantarella gives you a choice between keeping the card and tossing for another (which you don't know what it is), while frightener doesn't give you a choice at all. his effect is by far the worse, but he was nerfed to 12 str due to monster decks being so powerful

Another issue is that 11-12 points isn't that much anymore, this handicap can easily be overcame with a bronze card, contributing to the second player advantage problem.

RickMelethron;n9537101 said:
cantarella gives you a choice between keeping the card and tossing for another (which you don't know what it is), while frightener doesn't give you a choice at all. his effect is by far the worse, but he was nerfed to 12 str due to monster decks being so powerful

Well, Frightener also moves units so its drawing ability is worse but his moving ability somewhat compensate for it. And as I said in the post Udalryk's ability can hardly be considered as a good one by any deck except discard. Besides the main purpose of the spies is to change the card parity (disparity). Everything else is a different story. Their abilities actually make the whole story about spies worse as you (CDPR) has to balance entities which already creates disbalance. More to the point that they should be changed.

Iuliandrei;n9537561 said:
Another issue is that 11-12 points isn't that much anymore, this handicap can easily be overcame with a bronze card, contributing to the second player advantage problem.

It is also an issue, yes. More with NG: you throw a spy w/o even bothering about your opponent's board as it usually contributes less than 7 points to your opponent. Sometimes it is even free.

Last edited:
I agree partially. Firstly i think it is fine that spies work differently depending on their faction, i actually like it.
Secondly you treat Cantarella like a free card, while she is like Udalryk. Great in a spy-Nilfgaard archetype, not necessarily great in a reveal deck - like u mentioned earlier. Thus she is perfectly fine and not too strong. Additionally Rainfarn is a Nilfgaard exclusive card, it's simply a potential threat to respect - thinking about the silver spy game. I do understand the argument about equalizing the base strengthes of all silver spies.

I think Spies definetly need to be available as a second leader, but to both players regardless of the coinflip; And more important they desperately need the Stubborn tag. Bouncing/Copying silver spies is dumb and game breaking in my opinion.

ixsci;n9538141 said:
Well, Frightener also moves units so its drawing ability is worse but his moving ability somewhat compensate for it.

it really doesn't... not after the change to biting frost

ixsci;n9538141 said:
And as I said in the post Udalryk's ability can hardly be considered as a good one by any deck except discard.
false. uldaryk gives you deckthinning on top of a draw, for a faction like skelliga, which wants to see very specific cards, it's much better than shuffling the other card back.

the example you gave was a common misconception, that discarding a silver or gold card with uldaryk would be a downside. the truth is: the card you discarded could very well be at the bottom of your deck, and you'd never be able to play it anyway (unless your deck is built for 100% thinning)

ixsci;n9538141 said:
Besides the main purpose of the spies is to change the card parity (disparity). Everything else is a different story.
also a misconception. spies are meant to help you draw specific cards, by increasing the number of draws you have throughout the match. the effect being better justifies a minor power difference, without the least amount of doubt.

ixsci;n9538141 said:
Their abilities actually make the whole story about spies worse as you (CDPR) has to balance entities which already creates disbalance. More to the point that they should be changed.

also not true. every faction is different, with access to completely exclusive set of cards. to say that cantarella being 1 str lower than yaevin gives NG an advantage over NR playing thaller is to dismiss every single card in their respective decks.

RickMelethron, "misconceptions", "falsehood", and who are you, the holder of truth and true conceptions? If you are going to argue that way then let's stop it right now. I will not answer any more messages with such attitude.

RickMelethron;n9538291 said:
it really doesn't... not after the change to biting frost

I do not understand how these things are connected. You still can move a disloyal unit to a weathered row, under Hailstorm and Lacerate. For Gigni. Disrupt some combo your opponent is using. An ability to move units is one of the strongest ability in the game.

false. uldaryk gives you deckthinning on top of a draw, for a faction like skelliga, which wants to see very specific cards, it's much better than shuffling the other card back.

I played 600+ games with SK deck the previous season and I say to you that I didn't want that thinning. I wanted to restore card parity and as a plus to draw some card. I didn't need this discard part. In fact in many circumstances it presented me with bad choices, like: Gigni | Coral, Juta | Sigrdrifa, Juta | Mage etc. I didn't and do not want to discard my cards.

the example you gave was a common misconception, that discarding a silver or gold card with uldaryk would be a downside. the truth is: the card you discarded could very well be at the bottom of your deck, and you'd never be able to play it anyway

So you are trying to say that a zero chance to draw a card is better than 1/N, where N is the number of cards remaining in the deck?

. spies are meant to help you draw specific cards

What are your proofs? The ability to make a turn w/o loosing a card (in numbers) in my understanding is the main ability of the spies and everything else is just a nice addition. It is pretty obvious to me that the spies as the concept were introduced for this only purpose and later design decisions were made to make them somewhat different. The game is less and less vulnerable to the "last say" but in closed beta if you had played Dagon and had a last say you won the game. In the previous season, if you play Consume monsters and has the last say you usually win the game. There are plenty examples where the card advantage gives (less of them now but still) you a victory in the game .

to say that cantarella being 1 str lower than yaevin gives NG an advantage over NR playing thaller is to dismiss every single card in their respective decks.
Yes we should dismiss every other card in the faction and look at the spies only because they are a tool and there are a lot of spy-only wars in R2. You literally can not restore the card parity if your spy is bigger than your opponent's and you both have them on R2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom