[Suggestion] Several new cards I've been conceiving.

+
[Suggestion] Several new cards I've been conceiving.

Hello everyone, I'm an assiduous CCG and TCG player who has fallen in love with Gwent. Since i'm a fan of The Witcher universe too I can't help with the fact that i want this game to succeed.
I am aware CDPR has masterful developers and designers in his team and it's very unlikely I can come up with any idea they have not thought about. However, the game is in its closed-beta phase and they have various matters to attend to, so if I can contribute with anything to make this game even more enjoyable than it is already I would be delighted. This is something I've posted in our Gwent subreddit, but I wanted to share it here too.

So here are my new card ideas (I've tried to respect the lore in order to create them).

SKELLIGE
  • Mask of Uroboros. -Special Card-. Choose a card from the opponent's hand to see. Then, spawn Torrential Rain. Quality: Silver.
(Its effect is related to what happened during the "Echoes of the Past" quest in The Witcher 3. This card pushes the Skellige weather archetype, which has a lot of potential.)
  • Gremist: Master Alchemist. -Siege Unit, 2 STR-. Create a potion of your choice and play it. Quality: Silver.
(Right now we only have 2 potions in the game, so this card will be more valuable once they add more potion cards, I'm also suggesting a Tawny Owl Potion card below.)
  • Vaedermakar. -Unit (Any row), 5 STR-. If the row where it's played has a weather effect, remove it. If it has no weather effect, spawn it. Quality: Silver.
(Druids that have the ability to dominate weather are known as "Vaedermakar". Right now Skellige faction is lacking druids, so that's why I suggest this card and Gremist. Besides, we all have been asking for answers against weather, so here is a plausible card that also encourages skellige weather archetype. His name could be Fritjof, the druid that you get to know during the "Practicum in advanced Alchemy" quest, he's the one that controls weather while you slay some monsters to protect him)

SCOIA'TAEL
  • Dennis Cranmer. -Melee Dwarf Unit, 6 STR-. Put a random bronze Dwarf unit from your deck into the battlefield. Quality: Silver.
(Right now dwarves decks aren't working that well so here is a card that could help them)
  • Filavandrel aén Fidháil -Siege Elf unit, 5 STR-. When a friendly elf unit comes to play, give it 1 strength. Quality: Gold.
(Filavandrel was an elf sovereign of Dol Blathanna, I think it's about time we get some elf synergy. That being said, I am not that sure about this card because Commando Neophytes are elves aswell, so this could get out of control, although Saskia is there and she is not being played at all. Perhaps this card should be silver in order to see play.)
  • Feainnewedd Flower. -Special Card-. Choose a non-gold elf unit from your deck and put it on the battlefield. Quality: Silver.
(For those who have not read the books nor played The Witcher 1 here's some background of this flower: Feainnewedd is a flower which, according to the legend, grows only in places where elder blood has been spilled, and in Dol Blathanna. The name of the flower is Elder Speech, formed of feainn (Sun) and wedd (child) to mean Sun-Child, or Child of the Sun. The elves say these flowers first appeared when Lara Dorren died.)

MONSTERS
  • Rotfiend. -Disloyal Unit, 6 STR-. Whenever this unit's strength is weakened it deals 3 damage to its row. Quality: Bronze/Silver.
(I think Monster faction should have some sort of control aside from weather)
  • Plague Maiden/Jenny o' the woods/The White Lady. -Ranged Unit, 4 STR-. At the start of your turn summon a copy of this unit. Whenever a copy takes damage, it's detroyed (Copies cannot summon further copies). Quality: Silver
(This card tries to ressemble that ability of Noonwraiths from the Witcher 3 where they eventually divide themselves into false apparitions that die instantly when damaged. I think this could be a really funny card that you could get a lot of value from, although it's easily countered.
  • Hym. -Melee Unit, 3 STR-. When this card comes to play, "Haunt" a non-gold unit. At the start of your turns, half the haunted unit's strength (rounded up), its stregth is added to the Hym. If the haunted unit dies, the Hym is destroyed. Quality: Silver.
(This is one of the creatures that shocked me the most from The Witcher 3, its baleful and sinister nature is indisputable. It's worse than a parasite.)
  • Mutagenerator. -Special Card-. Destroy target non-gold unit. Give the unit's owner a Mutagen card equal to the unit's base strength. "Mutagen" card reads: Add X base Strength to target unit (where X is the base strength of the previously destroyed unit). If used on a Monster card or Witcher card, double its effect. Quality: Gold.
(Who isn't missing some mutagens for the game? With this card we give the Monster faction some good mechanics. First of all, it's a way to destroy enemy's threats. On the other hand is a way to sacrifice and buff your own minions, what I think it's pretty fitting in a Monster deck. Consider that this card favors the graveyard flooding archetype for Monsters, which should be pushed)

NORTHERN REALMS
  • Temerian Tactician. -(Any row) Unit, 5 STR-. Change the row position of an enemy unit. Change the row position of a friendly unit. Quality: Bronze.
(I like the possibilities this card offers. Such as weather protection and punishment. Imagine moving an Ancient Foglet to the melee row, or saving your own minions from a weather effect. It also provides Geralt: Igni and Philippa protection. And surely new row based cards will come in the future.
  • Dethmold. -Ranged Mage Unit, 3 STR-. Choose a bronze unit. Unit's owner discards all copies of that card from his hand and deck. Quality: Gold.
(This guy is probably too powerful, it won't always work but you could make your opponent to discard 2 cards. Eventhough I wanted to share the idea anyway. Some kind of drawback should be there to compensate.)

NEUTRAL
  • Dancing Star Bomb. -Special Card-. Remove 4 Strength from target non-gold unit and "Ignite" the row, dealing 1 damage every turn to units in that row for 3 turns. Quality: Silver.
(Bombs are a relevant thing in The Witcher Series, so I think we should widen the idea in Gwent too.)
  • Moon Dust Bomb. -Special Card-. Choose a non-gold unit. Target's effects are nullified and its strenght is resetted. It can't be targeted by Special Cards. Quality: Silver.
(The concept behind this card is Hearthstone's Silence and MTG's Hexproof.)
  • Dudu. -Melee Unit, 3 STR-. When played, choose a non-gold unit and transform into it, acquiring the same strength and effects. If Dudu is damaged, turn it to its original form. Quality: Silver.
(This card idea is almost mandatory for the game. Having Dopplers in The Witcher universe leads to conceive a card like this. For those who don't know, Dopplers have the ability to change his appearance at will, ressembling the exact same physical and psychological features of the "model" they chose.)
  • Tawny Owl Potion. -Special Card-. Give 1 strength to a non-gold unit, at the end of each turn that unit gains 1 more strength. Quality: Bronze.
(I know it's as boring as the other potions, but I couldn't think of a better or more unique effect. Have in mind that this card interacts dangerously well with Vrihedd Dragoon.)
  • Geralt: Aard. -Melee Witcher Unit, 6 STR-. When played, pull back the enemy units one row. Enemy units in the siege row take 2 damage. Quality: Gold.
(It's a funny and simple card that leads to weather tricks and who knows what else)
  • The Pellar. -Siege Unit, 6 STR-. Discard a card from your hand. Your opponent discards a random card of the same quality. Quality: Gold.
(This card will mess with decks that rely almost exclusively in 1/2 cards to win. I think the idea is fun and is fitting for The Pellar, you sacrifice something, you get something in return. This The Pellar knows.)
(Right now, while playing Gwent we pay attention to rows, but not columns. So this is a card that could widen our position awareness. Being crucial what's behind what and if a row has a pair or impair number of units in order to avoid this card's power. As someone already pointed out, the game should have a better placement system for this to be a thing.)
  • Lure the Skies. -Special Card-. Choose to spawn a Griffin, Wyvern, or Archgriffin unit. Quality: Silver.
(It has been hinted many times in this forum that Griffin and Archgriffin should be neutral units, because they offer important counter mechanics that other factions have no access to. With this card we get rid of that problem. When you look at it, this card offers a lot: a counter for weather decks, a counter for graveyard-relying decks and a bit of removal in case those other two options were not important. I love versatile and complex cards and since it's neutral and silver I don't think it would be that broken.)
  • Keira Metz. -Ranged Mage Unit, 5 STR. Choose a unit and turn it into a 1 STR Figurine. (*Figurine reads: Keep on the battlefield at the end of each round. When Keira Metz leaves the battlefield the effect disappears) Quality: Gold.
(So pretty much it's a "polymorph" (HS) or "ovinize" (MTG) but related to the Witcher universe, where Artifact Compression has been a thing, to say the least.
With this you can nullify one specific threat (gold units even), something really unique and IMO necessary too, right now gold/promoted cards feel way too invulnerable, I think it should exist some kind of answer. That being said, this card has a DRAWBACK, that target will stay on the board the next turn. So normally she would be played in the last round. Nonetheless she has some versatility too, you might want to target one of your units to keep it for the next round. Melitele knows what strategies could come out of that, but I really like the idea of having those 2 choices present.)
EDIT: It's been pointed out that this card could be too strong as it is and I agree. If we make it a Gold Special Card called "Artifact Compression" it would be fair.

And that's all for now. Thank you for reading such a long post. I would appreciate it if you could share your opinions or any new ideas below so we can discuss them.
See you in Gwent.

Last edited:
You forgot the incoming Nilfgaard faction. ;)
Not bad tho, Mask of Uroboros should cause fog and rain tho, since it spawned Foglets in Witcher 3. It should be silver and maybe reveal a random card in the opponents hand. Maybe also spawn a disloyal Foglet that lets you draw a card. Maybe it should be gold then tho.
Keep it up, always great to have creative people come up with interesting new stuff. :)

PS: It wasnt Keira who created Figurines in Witcher 3, it was Coral.

PPS: Maybe call it Draconid Bait. I like the idea of turning units specific to 1 faction into a all faction unit.

Last edited:
DirkAustin;n7093680 said:
PS: It wasnt Keira who created Figurines in Witcher 3, it was Coral.

PPS: Maybe call it Draconid Bait. I like the idea of turning units specific to 1 faction into a all faction unit.

About the figurine, afaik many mages know the art of artifact decompression.

And regarding Lure the Skies, "Draconid Bait" was the first name that came to mind. But I checked TW3's Bestiary to look for those 3 creatures, and both Griffin and Archgriffin happen to be "Hybrids". So I don't know if Draconid Bait would be accurate.

Veramorte;n7094960 said:
About the figurine, afaik many mages know the art of artifact decompression.

And regarding Lure the Skies, "Draconid Bait" was the first name that came to mind. But I checked TW3's Bestiary to look for those 3 creatures, and both Griffin and Archgriffin happen to be "Hybrids". So I don't know if Draconid Bait would be accurate.

Theyre being seen as dragons to most people that dont know any better. And I think a nod to Witcher 3 with Coral being the one to compress people would go nicely.

Great thinking, i like your ideas. I'd especially love to see a Hym. Plague Maiden seem a little bit overpowered from your description though.
If i may, i would like to leave a suggestion in this topic as well. That'd be "The Rats" hanza as they were one of the major characters in the book series.
6 different cards with the same characteristics:
1) 3 or 4 basic strength each
2) getting +1 strength bonus each time another "rat" appears on the board
3) can be placed on any row
4) each time a "rat" is played, all other "rats" already present on the board decrease the strength of a random unit on the same row of the opposite side of a board on 1 point
5) getting +2 strength bonus if all 6 are placed on the board (which is a huge boost, but then, you gotta be very lucky on your draw and to be able to place all of them with all the removals).

Last edited:
Top Bottom