[Suggestion] Standing stats

+

Would you this idea to become real in the game?

• F*ck yeah

• Yes

• Hmmm...

• No

• No way I want that shit

Results are only viewable after voting.
So last night I attended to a verbal fight between Denny and Henry (sorry for this pseudospoiler) in her house. While listening to them, and laughing quite a lot, I thought that if V said anything slightly endorsing one of the parts, the other would feel angry or sad. So that’s where my idea came:

WHAT IF CYBERPUNK 2077 HAS STANDING STATS?

Ok, so now some of you may be asking “Wtf is this guy talking about? What are the standing stats?”. The standing stats are an indicator of how good/bad reputation has your character among with other characters, groups or factions. Long story short, they indicates “how welcome” your character is among the others. Depending on the score you have, you can get benefits from them or they will attack whenever they see you.

Some other games have implemented it with good results, such as EVE online and Mars Horizon, for example:

EVE Online's Standings stats menu

Eve Online's Standing stats menu

Tip_Five.jpg

Mars Horizon's Standing stats menu

The first one, EVE Online, is a MMORPG based in a futuristic space sandbox, which is played by tons of people daily. Due to its outstanding situation, they can afford an extensive and complex standing stats panel that includes all the available factions in its universe. On the opposite hand, the second picture is taken from Mars Horizon, an indie game buyable from Steam. It’s main purpose is to teach about space exploration while playing, so it has simple but effective mechanics. The standing stats are quite simple to use and very visual.

Cyberpunk 2077 finds itself between these two amazing games. Not being extremely complicated (mostly because it’s not a f*cking huge MMORPG) and neither a simple and plain game gives me some space to imagination, so I tried my best designing this example:

STANDINGS_page-0001 (1).jpg

Where would the icon be

INDIVIDUALS (1).jpg

How would it look like

Okay, now that I showed you my awful artistic capacities, it’s time to explain my idea step by step.

GROUPS SEPARATION:

We all know that, in Night City, there’s a hierarchy: the corpos are on top, followed by the gangs, which are followed by fixers and then the individual ones. This pyramid follows the “power” capacity by the way.

ALLIES, NEUTRAL & ENEMIES (AN&E):

The list and the percentages of standings would be on the left, such as the journal list (notice that colour changes from glowing green (50%-100%) to light green (1%-50%), and from glowing red (-50%-[-100%]) to light res (-1%-[-50%]). New people or people at 0% should be the same colour as the letters.) On the right, it should have an image of the character we have selected (an HD picture, like a profile one). Below it, a spot for the name and (optional for the developers) some description "made in Silverhand". Just below it, the bar which shows how good or bad you behave and, below that, a little table with his/her main allies, neutrals and enemies. This is important, as any action or word endorsing or against someone or something in this list could actually affect the relationship with the character. Let's put Panam as an example: in Allies should appear the Aldecaldos; in Neutral... Let's say Wakako; and in Enemies, the Wraiths. If we participate in a victorious raid against the Wraiths, our relationship with her would improve; if we shoot an Aldecaldo's member, our relationship with her would decrease; and if we talk shit about Wakako... Well, she wouldn't care at all.

The main aspect of AN&E remains here, everything you do is connected to the people you know and it will change your situation with them.

ADVANTAGES / DISADVANTAGES:

So how do we measure when we are okay with someone or when we are about to kill each other? The solution: a simple -100/100 bar. The logic is easy, the more you approach to -100, the worse the situation is and the opposite. Also, depending on the relation you have with everybody, you could acquire some advantages (such as better contracts with fixers, better prices or even better items to buy...) and so disadvantages (not being able to enter into an area of a certain gang, refusement to sell you anything...). That would give an impression that V is welcome in certain areas of Night City and not well received in other ones.

Personal purpose: -100% (completely hostile, 0 commerce, not able to go into their territory without being prosecuted and shot) / -75% (0 commerce, they will only attack if you walk in front of any of the members) / -50% (only basic items commerce, only attack if get seen) / -25% (only basic items commerce, no hostile) / 0% (normal) / 25% (rare items appear in commerce, don't attack even if in crime scene) / 50% (rare items appear in commerce, you can recruit some units with you [just like GTA SA]) / 75% (epic items in commerce, you still can recruit) / 100% (epic and some legendary items in commerce, if it's a gang or a corpo some will come where you are if you get attacked)

ADVANTAGES / DISADVANTAGES 2.0 - ROMANCES:

Will romances be affected by this? Of course, they would even have customized options. Let's get back again into the -100/100 bar: the more you approach to -100, the angrier would be your partner with you (he/she would even break up with you if you hit -100, so you should do whatever it's in your hand to get him/her back), and vice versa. No need to say that there would be some "medium stages" where V gets advantages or disadvantages: for example, from >75% V can date his/her partner following what was posted in Judy romance update/expansion/DLC plus my apportation in Request to add Animations to V character/model -obviously, taking him/her to places where he/she has enemies in it would affect the date and actually make your relationship's bar go down-, or from <-75% he/she will not take your calls, so the only way left to contact is going to his/her home. V will have to call the partner regularly, do missions with him/her or just talk by phone in order to maintain a good relationship.

Personal purpose: -100% (break up if V can't manage the situation [speak with partner in apartment/bar/restaurant/park...]) / -75% (doesn't take up the calls) / -50% (responds sadly or badly the phone calls and doesn't move from apartment) / -25% (refuses any attempt to hang out with you) / 0% (normal) / 25% (purposes friendly dates [such as going to drink or such] / 50% (allows to go to a mission together) / 75% (allows to get in a date or to be invited to one by the partner) / 100% (goes with you wherever you go, such as the old Pokémons where Pikachu followed the trainer, and protects you if you get attacked).

GOING UP OR GOING DOWN?:

The logic is quite easy: you do something good, your relation increases; you do something bad, your relation decreases. But what happens when you, for example, attack members of the Tyger Claws? Well, your relationship with enemies of the Tyger Claws (for example, Judy) would increase while your relationship with other people (perhaps Wakako) would decrease. Night City is always woken, so why wouldn't its environment be like that?

Let's highlight something in this part: "if I don't interact with someone or something during, let's say, 8 hours, what would happen?". The answer is easy: just like Sims or real life, the relationship would decay (or increase if it's negative) until it reaches the 0 point. And another question could be "do they all descend (or ascend) equally?". Not exactly. Let's say that a terrorist has made a bomb and exploded it in a building before he left the crime scene. It certainly would be so difficult to lose the hate to him/her, right? So what about if you ignore your partner? Then the feelings change much faster. There it is! Following the Pyramid we set before, we can make an escalation of how it would vary in every case (perhaps from -1/1 with the corpos until -4/4 with individuals, with an extra -5/5 with partners).

FUTURE ACTUALIZATIONS:

Almost nothing cannot be improved and this is no exception. Once this system is implanted and working well, some ideas could be added: perhaps some kind of Clan Wars, where AN&E would vary in several cases; or changing the tables in Standings for another bar diagrams, so actions and words would affect different as time passes. Also, another possible feature could be adding some skull emojis for the dead contacts, hearts for romances, smilies for friends...

Another thing I would like to add in a future patch would be the adequation between places and time (for example, pubs and discos should be filled up at nights while factories would be almost empty; restaurants full of people at breakfast, lunch and dinner...). That would, somehow, make the previously mentioned dates more realistic.

So this is my idea. Amazing, isn't it?

What do y'all think?​

Well that could be okay.

- For romances/friends it could be good but would have to add a lot to the game to make it work. Like places to go, a lot of dialogue (because repeating the same thing each time, that would not be interesting), repeatable quests,...

- For the Corpos, I don't think so. Arasaka wants to see you dead during all the game and the other Corpos probably also to have access to the Arasaka's chip in your head...

- For the Gangs, a bit the same. If you're not with them, you're against them (to quote 6th Street).

- For fixer, V is just a simple merc among other. Ok, they say V is the best, but that's just to motivate you (to quote Jackie, we know Fixers...). So V will start at "0%" and will probably always stay at 0% so despite the number of contracts V could make.

So in the end, it seems extremely complex to me to add this kind of thing in a simple patch (for the moment at least).

Well that could be okay.

- For romances/friends it could be good but would have to add a lot to the game to make it work. Like places to go, a lot of dialogue (because repeating the same thing each time, that would not be interesting), repeatable quests,...

- For the Corpos, I don't think so. Arasaka wants to see you dead during all the game and the other Corpos probably also to have access to the Arasaka's chip in your head...

- For the Gangs, a bit the same. If you're not with them, you're against them (to quote 6th Street).

- For fixer, V is just a simple merc among other. Ok, they say V is the best, but that's just to motivate you (to quote Jackie, we know Fixers...). So V will start at "0%" and will probably always stay at 0% so despite the number of contracts V could make.

So in the end, it seems extremely complex to me to add this kind of thing in a simple patch (for the moment at least).
Actually, reputation with the fixers could be cool, V is a merc and does jobs for the fixers, but the jobs can be good or poorly done. Fixers often have special requests like remain unnoticed and etc. V does the job good-the reputation is increased. High reputation-the happy fixers offer unique goods or unique jobs (or both) :).

Sounds good but may be difficult to implement

As for now, Mox and Aldecaldos are always ally with V and can't even attack them, unless special circumstances. But if this idea is realized, the members of the Scavengers Protection Association will ecstatic:ohstopit::ohstopit::ohstopit:

Actually, reputation with the fixers could be cool, V is a merc and does jobs for the fixers, but the jobs can be good or poorly done. Fixers often have special requests like remain unnoticed and etc. V does the job good-the reputation is increased. High reputation-the happy fixers offer unique goods or unique jobs (or both) :).
Yep, I withdraw what I said, also good with Fixers :)

I remember "Freelancer" faction system(i still play it every 2 or 3 years) and even if it had ton of factions in the "story" part did not play a role and in the free roam (in that game opens after completion of story) it was more a nuisance that anything else. In "story" you cannot punish a player with bad rep with a faction if the story makes you go to one place(freelancer faction rep was always adjusted to fit story needs,which made it feel very artificial): imagine bad rep with Aldecaldos before meeting Panam,then go to Aldecaldos camp... you can force the player to rebuild rep with aldecaldos before that,but is already forcing(and spoiling:you will be friend of Aldecaldos). In open-world part, basically in "freelancer" made parts of the map as no-go areas (not once you achieved maximum oevel) due to hostility and closed "bases"/planets (shops in cp maybe?)... to regain access it was always the mechanic of finding a neutral faction that could fix your rep with another faction for a price(set it to neutral) and then "grind" for that faction to increase to "good" ... was quite repetitive at the end.
I voted "Hmmm..." because i don't see it that engaging,but if implemented properly why not (although i agree with other users that this is more than a patch,its a new mechanic to be implemented).

I'm happy that my idea has created all kind of opinions and reactions! Feel free to give your own point of view, as this idea will become better everytime a user express himself/herself. :ok:

Top Bottom