[Suggestion] The most powerful neutrals should be faction specific

+
Since the beginning of HC CDPR has struggled with auto-include neutrals. We had the witcher trio, unicorns, etc. that were clearly overpowered and reduced the variety in the game.

However, blind nerf is surely not a wise solution, in some way it is also reducing the variety by adding some bricked cards (who would play the witcher trio ?)

An intermediate path is to make the most powerful neutrals faction specific. This has three advantages:
- Interesting cards are still present, but not in every deck
- Factions identities are stronger
- Minor balance changes

I would like to illustrate my suggestion with some examples, with the most played neutrals right know. I'm trying here to be both lore-friendly, and to keep the balance between factions by attributing one card to each of them, but of course it is just to illustrate my point.
- Regis BL --> MO. Regis is necessary to build a MO control deck, while other factions have other options. Ifrit is already a minor version of Regis.
- Gregoire --> NG. NG lacks of tempo cards, and everybody will agree that even Gregoire is not enough for NG to cope with other factions
- Cleaver --> ST. Enough removal in the game.
- Ocvist --> NR. More situationnal card, still very powerful. Fits well with NR order mechanics
- Gimpy --> Kind of problematic, as he has a unique ability without existing ''minor version''. Give him to NG and create a downgraded version neutral.

SK ? SK don't need no more powerful cards :ok:

It seems to be minor changes but I think it can really make a difference in the game feeling. What do you think ?

Overall the idea is good, but NR Ocvist... If we must give dragons to specific factions, it should be either MO or new Zerrikania faction :p

It is a nice idea, but let's not also forget there are simply loads of faction cards that just aren't fit for purpose and could be reworked (i.e. Morvudd!).

Ocvist in NR. hehe

I knew that Ocvist would raise some objections ;)

The fact is that I could not think of another strong neutral, played by every faction, that would fit particularly with NR, AND being consistent with lore. Maybe Geralt... but it is quite unfair to make Geralts faction specific !

(... right ?)

Btw you got the idea, lore is of minor importance here, CDPR can swap abilities if needed. That was not my point.

Since the beginning of HC CDPR has struggled with auto-include neutrals. We had the witcher trio, unicorns, etc. that were clearly overpowered and reduced the variety in the game.

However, blind nerf is surely not a wise solution, in some way it is also reducing the variety by adding some bricked cards (who would play the witcher trio ?)

An intermediate path is to make the most powerful neutrals faction specific. This has three advantages:
- Interesting cards are still present, but not in every deck
- Factions identities are stronger
- Minor balance changes

I would like to illustrate my suggestion with some examples, with the most played neutrals right know. I'm trying here to be both lore-friendly, and to keep the balance between factions by attributing one card to each of them, but of course it is just to illustrate my point.
- Regis BL --> MO. Regis is necessary to build a MO control deck, while other factions have other options. Ifrit is already a minor version of Regis.
- Gregoire --> NG. NG lacks of tempo cards, and everybody will agree that even Gregoire is not enough for NG to cope with other factions
- Cleaver --> ST. Enough removal in the game.
- Ocvist --> NR. More situationnal card, still very powerful. Fits well with NR order mechanics
- Gimpy --> Kind of problematic, as he has a unique ability without existing ''minor version''. Give him to NG and create a downgraded version neutral.

SK ? SK don't need no more powerful cards :ok:

It seems to be minor changes but I think it can really make a difference in the game feeling. What do you think ?

I agree in principle but disagree in practice.

In principle if we sure up the faction identities and cut out the rock paper scissors aspect, then strong neturals are less necessary.

In practice this change would not only unbalance the game, it would destroy the professional aspect of the game. NG and ST require neturals to compete with MO and SK super decks. If you take some of the powerful neutrals out, the current imbalance is deepened.

Regis:BL for Monters and Gregoire for Nilfgaard are the perfect suggestion.

Both are op right now because you can see them literally in every deck in the current meta. But with this solution the problem is solved. Besides Regis:BL fits very well with Monster faction and the same thing happens with Gregoire in Nilfgaard (spies and Anna Henrietta archetypes fit very well with him)

The other three suggestions in the other hand (Cleaver, Ocvist, Gimpy)... meh, I think they are fine being neutral cards.

Ok so that every neutral mentionned in my initial topic has been sightly nerfed. At least CDPR is aware of the problem :smart:

In the roadmap they mentionned their will to give more identity to factions, focusing less on neutrals... There we are, I think my proposition is still relevant !

Top Bottom