[Suggestion] Time Banks

+
[Suggestion] Time Banks

After playing the KtS event last friday, the main thing that annoyed me were the short turns. For me Gwent is a game about strategy, planning, reading and bluffing - none of which can be done properly in the 40ish seconds provided by the game - especially not if you're chaining medics or using other cards with complicated effects.

I do however realize that giving everyone 90sec-2min per turn would mean a game could take like 40min if both players abuse the timer to the max - which is way too long. This is why I propose using time banks, where you'd start the game with, say, 90 sec for the redraw to give you time to figure out your plan and everything, and any remaining time is carried over and saved for your next turn. Every turn you'd then get another 30-45 seconds added to the bank. This means in total a game would take at most like 15min, and yet you could save up time for key turns and have the longer turn timer when you need it.

I am fully behind this idea, I think it is very important, for allowing people to fully explore the depth in Gwent.

As I assume that the main draw-back from this would be that people would let their timer run out on purpose once they have lost, I'd like to suggest one small change, which is that your time-bank actually decreases as you have less cards in hand. Since people are more prone to conceding further into a game and on top of that usually with less cards in hand the decisions become easier.

As a comparison of how ridiculously short these turn timers are, Hearthstone uses 75 second turns, while more often that not the viable plays in Hearthstone are more limited than those in Gwent, due to a combination of a lesser amount of cards in hand and/or lack of mana, as well as a simpler board-state and game plan more often than not in my opinion.

I like the idea of time banks, but I'd prefer a slightly different form.

A lot of the time you'll still make your decision within the first 10 seconds of the turn. If all remaining time gets carried over you'll have a huge time bank very quickly. Heaven for any griefer really.

I'd prefer a system that starts you with maybe a 2 minute bank, which can not go up. The turn timer can stay the way it is, but on those difficult turns you can take a little longer and start eating seconds from your bank.

Attachments

• k3831798.jpg
    k3831798.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 48
I agree Fisher time is a good idea. 2min start and 25-30 sec (needs to be tested) increment i think is a fair time.

good games a fast game

that being said I wouldn't mind if there were a time bank of 1 minute or so for the whole match

All strategies and card lore should be well studied before the match during deck preparation

After all, what most of you have said about how much the game of Gwent depends upon being prepared with strategies and solid decks pre game so much so that a silly thing like 2 extra cards just throws that all out of wack and turns the game into a random lol ball

I thought the time limit was pretty decent for thinking of a play. My issue was on the turns where I had to bring a card back from the graveyard or draw and discard cards. I ran out of time a couple times on those types of situations. I wouldn't mind if that had a reactive time limit that would reset every time a card is played so the times were I had to draw and discard I would have enough time to look at the cards I drew and weigh the options Also,. if I knew I wanted to medic but was pressed between two choices I could play the medic and reset the clock while further looking at the targets. Just my opinion though.

Top Bottom