Suggestion to improve Night City's long term exploration and make feel fuller

+
The suggestion is simple, but difficult to implement correctly:
Randomly and procedurally generated rooms/shops that are re-rolled over time (due to physical limits on saved games)

There are so many doors that can never be opened, inaccessible floors on Mega-buildings and shops that are nothing.
In a city as big and alive as Night City, it's mostly people walking on the street and closed doors.

Imagine for a moment being able to visit apartments in Mega-buildings. You would find empty one, luxurious ones, trashed ones, people sleeping, people defending themselves from an intruder, and more. Heck, why not have the occasional couple having sex and getting surprised! That would be hilarious.

Similarly, imagine walking down the streets to purchase random stuff like junk to decorate your apartment, clothes, food, shards with stories, etc.

The potential benefits are:
  • would give the illusion that people move on occasion when their residence gets picked for a re-roll (should be picked randomly among the oldest places visited, but still allow for old places to be revisited without being re-rolled)

• essentially gives the player more opportunity to loot and acquire resources, but this should be balanced by increasing the variety and uniqueness of things (foods that do different things, much broader range of Access Points breach difficulty, etc) -- not making things more expensive as it would just create a repetitive boring grind.

• give more room, literally, for random encounters leading to fights, sneaky puzzles or deeper lore. (imagine trying to sneak in a regular office building to steal from the director, just because. But then you stumble on a hidden room with corpses and scavengers! or a sex dungeon, in the executive conference room.)

• give alternative chances to (re-)acquire unique things that has been lost or missed, as if they were recirculated in the economy.

• gives space for player-generated content in addition to random procedural generation -- see the old Spore game for an example, let the players design for you.

• makes Night City worth re-exploring when everything has been done
It's definitely possible, other smaller studios have done it with whole star systems and planets. (No Man's Sky, Starbound)

I really wish the question marks scattered all around NC's map could be hidden. What's the fun of exploration of an open-world game where almost every thing is already shown to you. They could've implemented the Delamain or fixers calling you and still not show the question marks, it creates more reason to explore deeply and more immersive.

Mate, in two months they haven't even managed to fix bugged perks, like extra armor when blocking.

If they can't even do this, they won't be able to implement your suggestion, no matter how easy it is to code.

Mate, in two months they haven't even managed to fix bugged perks, like extra armor when blocking.

If they can't even do this, they won't be able to implement your suggestion, no matter how easy it is to code.
I think we all agree with your point.
It cannot be done at the moment, but it doesn't mean it won't be done at some point.
These things need to be planned and prepared anyway.

CDPR is a big studio, with a lot of talented people.
If the much smaller studio that is Hello Games could make such a big come back with No Man's Sky, I believe that CDPR can do the same. It's a matter of whether the board will go for it or not.

They will repair the game from the ground up with numerous updates over the course of a few years if the board values the company's reputation, truly have strong ethical core values, respect their workers' passionate work (who worked years on this!) and their fan-player base.

Or they can just do like EA, Bethesda and other greedy studios. Cash in and move in to the next profit scheme for the sole benefit of "big shoes". You know, stereotypical American corporate capitalism that is so well depicted in Cyberpunk.

It's not you nor I that will decide what CDPR does in the end, but I can at least suggest points to help populate the roadmap towards a better Cyberpunk. However, my personal wish is for this game to become what it can. Because is it an artistic masterpiece, just technically poorly executed at the moment.

So, labour of love or money printer? We'll see and remember.

The entire city outside of story missions is just a skybox. They would have to redo the entire game from scratch.

There are far bigger issues in this game than map markers.

Bottomline is at it stands now, this is a one and done game. There will not be a 2nd or 3rd iteration. Way too much negativity surrounding this IP and it's not going away.

For giggles I did a search on youtube with just "cyberpunk 2077" and it's just video after video bashing the game still.

Ideas that are implemented in a much more in depth way in far smaller projects.

I see where you are coming from and yes, this would have been an improvement.

But what is the point? They should finish the game (it isn't) and then do their cosmetic free and story paid DLCs and do better with W4. CP2077 is for most players a one run-through game. I would be surprised if many people outside the fan base play this more than once.

Completing an open world when it's story is already told doesn't make much sense. Unless they manage to make DLCs of a size that would make it worthwhile exploring the world as a whole again. That would need much more than the suggested changes above.

Most if what seems realistic at this point is a mere bandaid for what CP2077 is simply not good at right now: being an immersive open world experience.

Last edited:
A couple things I want to work on now that they are releasing mod tools:
Making the arcade machines playable
and (this one will be quite an undertaking)
Setting up a corporate influence:
Giving each corp a set of hidden stats such as health, finances, strength, etc.
Finances would determine how fast a corps health regenerates
Strength would determine how many groups of gangs loyal to that corp are in that area
Health would determine how many and what quality items for that corp are found in shops.
Gigs would be available to attack different corps by:
Eliminating gangs, steal corp secrets, upload viruses to corp computers, assassinate corp execs, rescue kidnapped execs, ect.
The more you attack 1 corp, the less they will offer you gigs and the more hostile their gangs will be towards you
and so on.

First I need to learn how to mod though.

Really easy way to fix this would be to have all mission area enemies respawn, scaled to the player's level some time after completing the relevant quest. Make all the main mission areas unlock after a certain amount of time and repopulate them with NPCs and enemies.

There are far bigger issues in this game than map markers.

Bottomline is at it stands now, this is a one and done game. There will not be a 2nd or 3rd iteration. Way too much negativity surrounding this IP and it's not going away.

For giggles I did a search on youtube with just "cyberpunk 2077" and it's just video after video bashing the game still.
Look up a little game called "No Mans Sky".

Top Bottom