Suggestion - Unhoard V the hoarder

+
Dear Devs,

Cyberpunk has a quite Falloutesque tendency of making players just pick up all the crap possible. I'd like to suggest that instead of being able to pick up tons of weapons, clothing and garbage, that the general usable item categories are limited more strongly regarding their weight and quantity. For example if I don't control myself, I end up carrying literally hundreds of maxdocs, grenades, bottles of booze and several dozen assault rifles.
I'd love to be simply unable to pick up more things of a certain category when I have reached a certain number, instead of having kind of a garbage truck as inventory.
You shouldn't be able to carry more than 10 grenades and 10 maxdocs, and also just, like, ten units of other usable items.
Especially as you are able to craft stuff it doesn't make sense to allow the player to hoard so many things.

This would also make the game slightly more challenging because you couldn't win hard battles just by taking in a whole pharmacy during the fight. Doesn't maxdoc misuse have side effects anyway that might knock you out if you overdo it? Accidentally killing yourself by overdosing pharmaceuticals would be a nice feature, people.

At the same time, limiting the item carrying capacity strongly wouldn't have automatically a negative impact on crafting, For example you could define that crafting / upgrading materials have high quantity limitations. So it would actually make sense to disassemble items as you can't carry them all anyway.

The problem is that it's not like I enjoy picking up all the stuff and then disassembling dozens of weapons from a gig. The problem is that the game design promotes this behaviour. You pick up literally everything because you can and nothing stops you. There is literally no negative impact at all in hoarding. You just go and disassemble and/or sell all the things. It makes sense because it gives you money, overpowering you very early in the game. Smart limitations would change the balance for the better.

So, enough suggestions for now. Thanks for reading and considering :) And to make it clear, I love the game and deeply admire all the visible effort, talent and passion that went into it in the past and that's still going into it now. I just want to help it shine a little more :)))

In Fallout hoarding junk made more sense since it was a post-apo. Although many years after the war all of it would have been long cleaned up, realistically.
Why are there beggars in Night City when you can just walk around the block and pick up all the cashmere wool and Samurai records lying around, anyway?

Last edited:
I have to disagree. Until they fix the economy properly, I would like to be able to continue to hoard everything. For someone who doesn't use tech tree at all and is unable to craft anything, it's crazy how much clothing and weapons cost. Gigs and missions literally give the player 10,000 on average. An epic ranking t-shirt cost 10,000 to 20,000 on average, and if you sell it back you only get back 1000. That is an issue. More money can be made hoarding than actually doing gigs or any of the mission in game. Until gigs and missions offer more money to the player, I think V should be able to remain a hoarder. They already nerffed how much stuff is lying around the city once already. Hell, a legendary shot-gun is 200,000 eddies, most bosses only drop weapon specs instead of the actual weapon, mods can't be bought from venders anymore, and most iconic weapons have to be crafted! How many more things need to be gated behind the tech tree!

Last edited:
I have to disagree. Until they fix the economy properly, I would like to be able to continue to hoard everything. For someone who doesn't use tech tree at all and is unable to craft anything, it's crazy how much clothing and weapons cost. Gigs and missions literally give the player 10,000 on average. An epic ranking t-shirt cost 10,000 to 20,000 on average, and if you sell it back you only get back 1000. That is an issue. More money can be made hoarding than actually doing gigs or any of the mission in game. Until gigs and missions offer more money to the player, I think V should be able to remain a hoarder. They already nerffed how much stuff is lying around the city once already. Hell, a legendary shot-gun is 200,000 eddies, most bosses only drop weapon specs instead of the actual weapon, mods can't be bought from venders anymore, and most iconic weapons have to be crafted! How many more things need to be gated behind the tech tree!
You are right. I hadn't considered the fact that the gigs give way too little cash considering what you can buy. So I agree that first the economy should be fixed. I am also unhappy about the fact that crafting is part of the tech tree, as it is so integral if you want to have certain good stuff. It blocks you from really free character development. At least it shouldn't be linked to your tech stats but instead it should simply be a skill that gets better the more you do it, and that's it. Or as a basic skill that you can level up several times. :)

You are right. I hadn't considered the fact that the gigs give way too little cash considering what you can buy. So I agree that first the economy should be fixed.
Cant say I have a real problem with economy in the game, but this might be because of how I play.
I am also unhappy about the fact that crafting is part of the tech tree, as it is so integral if you want to have certain good stuff. It blocks you from really free character development.
While I understand your plight. I must disagree with this assessment. Crafting, in my view, has become part of your character development. In CP77 you must invest to actually be a good crafter rather it just being something parallel that any character is naturally adept in. Personally I like how CP77 does it, it adds the choice of relying on what you can make from scrap, versus of you rely on that which can be bought.
At least it shouldn't be linked to your tech stats but instead it should simply be a skill that gets better the more you do it, and that's it. Or as a basic skill that you can level up several times. :)
This could be acceptible, the important part being one must learn and develop the skill to unlock the ability of making better gear as you become more adept at the craft.

Hold on, Tr00he has a point. The issue here isn't just the ability to make stuff from scrap. The issue here is access to the best gear in the game. Iconic weapons don't have fixed levels and rarities. They're upgradeable, and if you want to get Skippy or that iconic dildo up to level 50 and orange rarity, you need to be a techie. You can't just buy a legendary level 50 iconic dildo from vendors or find one on a Maelstrom corpse.

Perhaps if crafting stuff out of junk was a techie-only skill, but upgrading items was available to everyone, this would be less of a concern.

I feel like that would eliminate the whole point of the crafting tree. Eddies are unlimited. Levels and perk points are not.
but it would allow for different character roleplaying. In one run you might want to play a techie nomad, proud of his crafting his own gear. On another you might want to be a corpo, happy to pay for another techie's work.

I wasn't going to wade into this because of the thread originally being from last year, but seeing as others have commented more recently since...

I disagree with this thread's suggestion. This game is already amazing for how we can examine our own thoughts and beliefs and views of the world as players--whether we want to be intentionally role-playing a certain type of character (e.g. thief, or pacifist) or are simply playing as ourselves, or 'us-as-character'. When we are playing as 'us-as-character' in this game it can shine a bright light on what our own natural tendencies are and what we potentially need to work on in our own life out-of-game.

For example, this:
For example if I don't control myself, I end up carrying literally hundreds of maxdocs, grenades, bottles of booze and several dozen assault rifles.

indicates a level of self-awareness that lack of self-control is the player's issue, but it falls short of the actual solution to the issue, namely: working on a known lack of self-control. (And I say this as an individual clinically diagnosed with ADHD who is aware of my own issues surrounding lack of self-control in not just games, but other areas of life as well.)

Add to this that one person's V may not be a hoarder, but another person's might be: it might be because they envision their V as having been paralysed with fear at being without things they can use to craft stuff out of because of their upbringing, or because they're just a person who'll never let a useful piece of something go to waste, either way they need the stuff to be actually available in-game in order to play that V. But maybe I'm biased on that because my first V's a klepto, my second V's working on his itchy fingers because he's in a better place now, and I've been known myself to bring random stuff home, including a cast-iron frying pan from a garbage can at a campsite in New Zealand (why the person ever threw it away I won't know why).

As to crafting being part of a skill tree, well... I'm a crafter in real life, so I'm actually quite happy with how it's handled in-game.* Crafting needs practise. If you're not gonna put in the effort, I don't think it's the thing for you. Upgrading, to me, is included in that (DIY alterations still require skill, even if it's not on the level of "I made this ballgown myself!"). That means canon V starts out at a point of needing to learn just like the player does. If V were canonically already a crafty person that'd be different, but I appreciate that that's not the case. Basic competency shown near the start of the game that I can choose to build on is enough for me to love 'em. Other crafters may view things differently.

Now I'm thinking of early-crafted stuff having slightly wonky results from time to time because of the learning needed. xD That's probably too realistic, though...

*I do have some minor complaints about the system as a whole, but they're not much to worry about

Hold on, Tr00he has a point. The issue here isn't just the ability to make stuff from scrap. The issue here is access to the best gear in the game. Iconic weapons don't have fixed levels and rarities. They're upgradeable, and if you want to get Skippy or that iconic dildo up to level 50 and orange rarity, you need to be a techie. You can't just buy a legendary level 50 iconic dildo from vendors or find one on a Maelstrom corpse.

Perhaps if crafting stuff out of junk was a techie-only skill, but upgrading items was available to everyone, this would be less of a concern.
Personally I look at those the same. It would be weird to me where a character who isn't a techie, and therefore cannot craft weapon, but can upgrade them to highest level and/or rarity.
Btw, I believe level upgrading IS available, just not the rarity, which I feel SHOULD NOT be assessible to a character who does not invest in crafting/tech.
Its all part of a choice what to spec your character in.

Top Bottom