Suggestion Usurper

+
AQ, DJ, and Gerny all suffer very hard vs Usurper. On top of that it just plain sucks to lose all of your planned out synergies with your leader. If I want to play my fun Meve deck in casual and I run into Usurper I now will probably just quit because why spend my time doing something I don't find to be fun?

On a side note it's starting to feel pretty vindicating that everything I pointed at as being a problem when homecoing dropped is proving to be true. Artifacts keep getting nerfed to the ground because they are a problem. Usurper will be changed at some point I can see it coming.

Again, the fixation on leader ability to interact and add value to cards ignores the simple fact that this limits the design space for non-leader cards. Leader abilities need to be changed to allow the cards in the deck to have their own synergies, without the potential to combine with a leader's ability to be game breaking. If we take CDPR at their word from the punch they threw at MTGA with the unitless decks update -

Unitless decks are dead. Gwent is a game where armies, not lonely spellcasters, come together and clash

Then a single strategy that solely involves playing the leader's ability is not in the spirit of the game. Now decks that have strategy that revolve around one card do exist in MTG. They are usually quite difficult to play and rely very heavily on luck to eck out their wins. Not surprisingly, they are quite easily countered by most other decks . I don't see why it should be any different in Gwent. I don't see any reason that a deck whose strategy relies very heavily on having a leader abilty should be exmpt from being shut down.

Indeed, this does seem to be one of the main undertones of the anti-Usurper argument - that he somehow, provision cost not withstanding, provides free tech and unfair advantage to people who play him. Essentially it's an argument that all other players should increase varience and further weaken their own decks by including additional tech and being forced to play a leader who doesn't lock theirs out of the match. Given the current outcry against removal and the push to weaken it further, this is a ridiculous argument. It's almost like saying players should tech against big unit point slam, but Scorch and other tall removal is unfair and should be reworked to be more interactive.

As far as suggestions go, the only one that is reasonable is making Damien's ability available to all factions. The downside is that without tech to shut down the leader ability, I could see such a card becomming as ubiquotus as silver spies were given that it is double utility for matches against other leaders. Again, how leaders work makes this an issue.

Again, the fixation on leader ability to interact and add value to cards ignores the simple fact that this limits the design space for non-leader cards. Leader abilities need to be changed to allow the cards in the deck to have their own synergies,

I don't see the problem with having both. Why have leaders in the game at all if they don't interact and synergize?

I don't see any reason that a deck whose strategy relies very heavily on having a leader abilty should be exmpt from being shut down.

I think it's a contradiction to put leaders in the game and encourage players to deck build with them and then also add the ability to automatically turn them off.

As far as suggestions go, the only one that is reasonable is making Damien's ability available to all factions. The downside is that without tech to shut down the leader ability, I could see such a card becomming as ubiquotus as silver spies were given that it is double utility for matches against other leaders. Again, how leaders work makes this an issue.

I really see no reason why Usurper should exist. If anything turning off someones leader should be the job of a card and not another leader. So perhaps an engine card that if it goes off locks the opponents leader. That would be a lot more fair than a leader that just automatically turns off the opponents leader immediately.

I don't see the problem with having both. Why have leaders in the game at all if they don't interact and synergize?
For the most part, leader abilities are totally unable to be interacted with. This in turn creates an overarching strategy where the goal is to win at least one round, retaining sufficient card advantage to point slam the last turn of the final round. The only leader who currently circumvents this somewhat is Djikstra. He is capable of generating enough pointslam anywhere to 3 cards behind his opponent, presuming opponent has no tall removal

I think it's a contradiction to put leaders in the game and encourage players to deck build with them and then also add the ability to automatically turn them off.
Ergo, you just wouldn't be happy if any card had the ability to disable your leader unanswered. For instance, if Usurper's ability was changed to swap your leader with your opponent's and do ' blah, blah', you'd not be happy because it interferes with your leader strategy. Again, you build a mono-strategy deck, then you accept that you will be countered, both hard and soft, more often than not. Greedy Consume has always been a deck that is only powerful when the meta doesn't run tall removal. Likewise swarm decks tend to rise when the meta runs tall.

I really see no reason why Usurper should exist. If anything turning off someones leader should be the job of a card and not another leader. So perhaps an engine card that if it goes off locks the opponents leader. That would be a lot more fair than a leader that just automatically turns off the opponents leader immediately.
TBH, your argument reads to me that you want your deck to be as strong and uncounterable as possible, preferably without having to trade points for tech. However you expect every other deck to do just that if they wish to counter your leader-based strategy. I see no reason why decks should be made weaker by having to tech to disable leaders. NG already has a tech in a body card that defeats Usurper. The other factions might benefit from having similar. it still doesn't solve the problem of decks that are weak without their leader, and is only going to make some leaders even more problematic by having a means to more consistently replay their ability in subsequent rounds. With SY, we see CDPR toying with new mechanics that exist outside leader abilities anyway. With that in the game, it doesn't make any sense to remove a leader who sets both players on equal footing in terms of last say options.

I find it interesting that you say it's not fair that a leader has an uninterruptable passive ability, yet all of Gwent's leaders have abilities that are normally uninterruptable. Why then is it 'fair' that Ardal can seize strong, key cards because he has enough tactics to boost his power level? Or that Franchesca can replay any spell of her choosing without counter? Not being able to shut down a leader is precisely why binary metas evolve and design space for cards is limited. .

Last edited:
Ergo, you just wouldn't be happy if any card had the ability to disable your leader unanswered. For instance, if Usurper's ability was changed to swap your leader with your opponent's and do ' blah, blah', you'd not be happy because it interferes with your leader strategy. Again, you build a mono-strategy deck, then you accept that you will be countered, both hard and soft, more often than not. Greedy Consume has always been a deck that is only powerful when the meta doesn't run tall removal. Likewise swarm decks tend to rise when the meta runs tall.

Again I will say that I don't know why the devs would put strong leaders in the game to build around just to turn them off. It feels counter intuitive and is generally going to be unfun or even angering to the player that built around that leader. If leaders are too powerful as you brought up the third round point slam strategy then the devs should address that by changing leaders to play differently such as leaders like Meve that provide value the entire match or they could just outright nerf leaders so they aren't as significant.

TBH, your argument reads to me that you want your deck to be as strong and uncounterable as possible,

Everyone wants their deck to be strong. I didn't make an argument about the deck I am asking why the leader needs to be counterable at all when the developers made them this way. I don't play Arachas but I don't see why Arachas players should have their leader turned off. What's the point of deck building Arachas when you just run into Usurper and your synergies are gone? I see no benefits to the game with that. All it does for me personally is make me avoid leaders that I really don't want to be turned off.

preferably without having to trade points for tech. However you expect every other deck to do just that if they wish to counter your leader-based strategy.

I expect something as huge as turning off someones leader to be counterable. Everyone has a leader that they choose to use that is supposed to be balanced by provisions. So there is no big reason why there should be an uncounterable way to turn off another players leader. It makes more sense and is more fair if doing so is a counterable card.

I see no reason why decks should be made weaker by having to tech to disable leaders.

I don't know why you are drawing the conclusion that a deck is weaker for choosing to try to disable the opponents leader. If it hits it would be a big play. But if you think it's weaker for using that card then just don't use it. At least the player has the choice here.

NG already has a tech in a body card that defeats Usurper. The other factions might benefit from having similar. it still doesn't solve the problem of decks that are weak without their leader, and is only going to make some leaders even more problematic by having a means to more consistently replay their ability in subsequent rounds.

Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through unnecessarily. So to stop Usurper which is a big issue in the game the player has to draw this one card by the round that he needs it and play it without being countered and then if you aren't playing Usuper a player like Francesca now has the ability to play a very powerful special card 3 times. Seems a lot easier and better for everyone just to remove Usurper because he isn't needed anyway.

With SY, we see CDPR toying with new mechanics that exist outside leader abilities anyway. With that in the game, it doesn't make any sense to remove a leader who sets both players on equal footing in terms of last say options.

Coins is a bit problematic but I have more faith in CDPR balancing them than I do in Usurper not consistently bringing the game down. A big problem with Usurper is he doesn't always simply put players on equal footing. When your leader is key to your deck your options through the game and in the last round become much more limited. While the Usurper players strategies are exactly the same. So it really just becomes a roll of the dice on the match up. The Usurper player could be at a disadvantage from provisions or he could be at a huge advantage having automatically turned off the opponents leader which was key to the deck.

I find it interesting that you say it's not fair that a leader has an uninterruptable passive ability, yet all of Gwent's leaders have abilities that are normally uninterruptable. Why then is it 'fair' that Ardal can seize strong, key cards because he has enough tactics to boost his power level? Or that Franchesca can replay any spell of her choosing without counter? Not being able to shut down a leader is precisely why binary metas evolve and design space for cards is limited. .

My argument is that all leaders should be usable and not sometimes just turned off. Also with many leaders you can still find ways to counter what they do on the board. With Meve you know she is going to be boosting and using engines so get ready with counter cards. With Adda and similar leaders you know that one of your cards can get instantly one shot so try to play around that. When I play vs. Ardal I will mulligan away a five strength engine in the third round because I know that he will simply take it for huge value. Trying to out play your opponent is part of the game. Usurper just makes the game worse imo. I'm not a blind hater, I have played Usurper as well so I know what both sides is like.

Again I will say that I don't know why the devs would put strong leaders in the game to build around just to turn them off. It feels counter intuitive and is generally going to be unfun or even angering to the player that built around that leader.
This is really a strawman argument. A player's emotional investment in their deck and adverse interactions it faces don't automatically invalidate the worth of a card's ability or fitness to be included in the game. I'm sure there are plenty of players who don't find leaders in general add much to the game. Thus, it could be said that all leaders being removed from the game is also a fair and viable solution.

If leaders are too powerful as you brought up the third round point slam strategy then the devs should address that by changing leaders to play differently such as leaders like Meve that provide value the entire match or they could just outright nerf leaders so they aren't as significant.
And yet, despite the flawed designs of leaders, you still keep cycling back to an argument that one leader who shuts down single strategy decks should be reworked so those decks can enjoy their single strategy. Essentially, this really asking that depth and strategy be simplified so that bad builds can perform well. This is problematic, since it takes more than just shutting down a leader to win the game. Remember Usurper doesn't add any extra value to the cards in his deck, they have to do all the work on their own. Really, all he does is provide them limited cover from removal or uncounterable tempo provided by other leaders. He certainly doesn't shut down interactions like Igor+townsfolk+profit.

Everyone wants their deck to be strong. I didn't make an argument about the deck I am asking why the leader needs to be counterable at all when the developers made them this way. I don't play Arachas but I don't see why Arachas players should have their leader turned off. What's the point of deck building Arachas when you just run into Usurper and your synergies are gone? I see no benefits to the game with that. All it does for me personally is make me avoid leaders that I really don't want to be turned off.
Yes, many mentions of AQ, zero mentions of Eldain, for example. Eldain is already a weak deck that built around a weak archetype and has never been overly competitive. Usurper denies this deck its additional tokens too. I don't think it's a coincidence the deck you're claiming is treated unfairly by Usurper is one that has been quite strong in past metas where Usurper hasn't seen much play. Essentially, the issue is more likely that you can't adjust your play and strategy to the meta. It just happens that for once, this is a meta where Consume isn't able to take advantage of being an outlier deck that grows strong in the shadow of more prevelant T1 decks.

I expect something as huge as turning off someones leader to be counterable. Everyone has a leader that they choose to use that is supposed to be balanced by provisions. So there is no big reason why there should be an uncounterable way to turn off another players leader. It makes more sense and is more fair if doing so is a counterable card.
I expect something as huge as having my card moved to my opponents side of the board to be counterable too. Likewise, I should get at least a turn to, if not the ability to take countermeasures when my oppent is looking for a spell to reduce my point total, boost theirs, or play an extra card. After all, I didn't choose the leader that person chose. Really, we could take it to the level of absurdity and say we should get a choice to decline a match against leaders we don'tt like or our decks don't fair well against. Unfortunately that's not the way the game works.

You should stop looking at the situation entirely through the lens of your deck. If you did, you might see that Usurper doesn't really give his deck any extra abilities. It's kind of like when other leaders play each other, it's joker's wild. Usurper just takes the jokers out of the pack for both players. It's then up to the players to make the best use of the cards they're dealt.

I don't know why you are drawing the conclusion that a deck is weaker for choosing to try to disable the opponents leader. If it hits it would be a big play. But if you think it's weaker for using that card then just don't use it. At least the player has the choice here.
you clearly don't run many tech cards. Ever notice that artifact heavy decks, if pushed hard enough and with bad draws, will often concede the game with cards in hand? The reason for that is their spears, flails and potions don't do anything for improving their points total if there is insufficient bodies on their side of board to take advantage of this. Also, the provision cost is quite high for units since they often need to go for higher value bodies. This is how tech in Gwent works. It's not like MTG where you can get a 1 mana cost spell that can kill a massive creature. So if we look at the provision cost for Usurper, then extrapolate this to tech cards that disable leader abilities, it is quite likely that said card/s will be high in provision cost and quite probably bodiless. So yes, decks will be made weaker as cards will need to be removed and replaced with lower cost, less powerful ones to make room for the new tech.

Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through unnecessarily.
NG players don't seem to think so. But I suppose the hoops aren't as bothersome when in any other matchup they get to use their leader twice.

So to stop Usurper which is a big issue in the game the player has to draw this one card by the round that he needs it and play it without being countered and then if you aren't playing Usuper a player like Francesca now has the ability to play a very powerful special card 3 times. Seems a lot easier and better for everyone just to remove Usurper because he isn't needed anyway.
Bit of an own goal there. Francesca playing a powerful spell twice in a match is more fair than her playing it 3 times? So how many times does AQ get to repeat the active part of her ability in a match? Surely old Glusty could benefit from a few extra drones. Again, if leaders are the problem, then no leaders at all, save for a a flavour cosmetic for the deck, is also just as good a solution as banning/nerfing one leader.

Coins is a bit problematic but I have more faith in CDPR balancing them than I do in Usurper not consistently bringing the game down. A big problem with Usurper is he doesn't always simply put players on equal footing. When your leader is key to your deck your options through the game and in the last round become much more limited. While the Usurper players strategies are exactly the same. So it really just becomes a roll of the dice on the match up. The Usurper player could be at a disadvantage from provisions or he could be at a huge advantage having automatically turned off the opponents leader which was key to the deck.

When your leader is the sole key to your strategy you have a single strategy deck. No additional concessions should be made for you to have the ability to have your deck perform the way you want it to in any match, either with or without your leader. Turning the Usurper into a fluffy pink bunny isn't going to make you a better player. If MO is in a bad state at the moment, then play other factions. if you cant make your cards work without a leader. Sorry, but that is the brutal truth

My argument is that all leaders should be usable and not sometimes just turned off. Also with many leaders you can still find ways to counter what they do on the board. With Meve you know she is going to be boosting and using engines so get ready with counter cards. With Adda and similar leaders you know that one of your cards can get instantly one shot so try to play around that. When I play vs. Ardal I will mulligan away a five strength engine in the third round because I know that he will simply take it for huge value. Trying to out play your opponent is part of the game. Usurper just makes the game worse imo. I'm not a blind hater, I have played Usurper as well so I know what both sides is like.

I don't think you really do get what both sides are really like. I think you probably found Usurper a bit boring to play since there is no ultimate for both sides to realize. That's fine. As MTG puts it, some players are Timmy, some Johnny and others are Spike. We all like different aspects of the game. Thus we shouldn't be arguing to remove something from the game because we don't personally enjoy it as it may ruin the enjoyment for somebody else.

I've come to enjoy playing Usurper over the last few updates. Finding synergies and making my cards work together in the absence of a leader ability on tap is far more engaging than trying to figure out which few cards combine with a leader to produce an overpowered last say. My opponents might not find it fun, but barring this meta, within a few matches they're either back to curbstomping lesser decks or complaining about the stronger ones. It's just unfortunate that this meta has been one where more people have had enough of leader abilities that they've gravitated to Usurper. Again, this is not a problem created by Usurper.

Last edited:
This is really a strawman argument. A player's emotional investment in their deck and adverse interactions it faces don't automatically invalidate the worth of a card's ability or fitness to be included in the game.

We are talking about a leader, not a card. I also don't think its accurate to call it "emotional investment". All players deck build with the goal of creating a strong deck to win games with. The developers built the current game with strong leaders to synergize with the cards. My argument is that it is counter intuitive to make the game this way and then just automatically turn off your synergies that you built. This is very obviously going to bother the players who spent the time deck building the way the game intended. That is relevant to the discussion as no one plays a game just to get irritated at it's design.

I'm sure there are plenty of players who don't find leaders in general add much to the game. Thus, it could be said that all leaders being removed from the game is also a fair and viable solution.

If you are wanting to argue that leaders are bad for the game and should be taken out then that's an interesting topic that I would have to really think through but it's a separate topic.

And yet, despite the flawed designs of leaders, you still keep cycling back to an argument that one leader who shuts down single strategy decks should be reworked so those decks can enjoy their single strategy. Essentially, this really asking that depth and strategy be simplified so that bad builds can perform well. This is problematic, since it takes more than just shutting down a leader to win the game. Remember Usurper doesn't add any extra value to the cards in his deck, they have to do all the work on their own. Really, all he does is provide them limited cover from removal or uncounterable tempo provided by other leaders. He certainly doesn't shut down interactions like Igor+townsfolk+profit.

I think leaders still need more work and I think some are better designed than others. Usurper is still a seperate issue regardless. If leaders are problematic then the devs need to actually address them. Usurper is not a solution. I don't know what you mean by "bad builds". The game is designed this way. It's designed for you to get as many points out of each leader as possible. It is not the players fault that this is how the game has been made. I never argued that shutting down the leader with Usurper automatically wins you the game but it does highly effect the game. It's a dice roll as to how big of an advantage you might get by doing it. You mention Igor townsfolk as not being shut down by Usurper but Usurper really really hurts DJ overall. Coins fuels the strategy and by taking away a lot of the coins the overall strategy suffers greatly. I personally havnet' had any desire to play SY at all this season but there is no way I would want to play DJ when his ability just gets turned off in random games. Same with multiple other leaders in the game. What is the point of deck building with these leaders when you suddenly aren't allowed to use them? That makes zero sense.

Yes, many mentions of AQ, zero mentions of Eldain, for example. Eldain is already a weak deck that built around a weak archetype and has never been overly competitive. Usurper denies this deck its additional tokens too. I don't think it's a coincidence the deck you're claiming is treated unfairly by Usurper is one that has been quite strong in past metas where Usurper hasn't seen much play. Essentially, the issue is more likely that you can't adjust your play and strategy to the meta. It just happens that for once, this is a meta where Consume isn't able to take advantage of being an outlier deck that grows strong in the shadow of more prevelant T1 decks.

I don't even know what the argment is here. What does the power of these decks have to do with Usurper? It doesn't matter to me if AQ is strong or weak. What matters is it's huge amount of synerigies with it's leader does nothing in every match up with Usurper. Why would I want to subject myself to that? "The meta" is not the point. If you are suggesting that every deck can simply adjust to account for not having it's leader then I believe you are mistaken. Sometimes you simply lose massive amounts of points. Gernichora simply loses a ton of points for not having it's leader. SirPumpkn made this point in a recent video as well. If you are suggesting to simply change decks so that Usurper doesn't matter as much then I agree. That's exactly what I do and I believe that hurts the game. It's limiting to players in a game that is already limited by having few options at the high ranks.

I expect something as huge as having my card moved to my opponents side of the board to be counterable too.

Leaders are balanced by provisions but as I said before if you don't like leaders or certain leaders then that is a separate argument. Turning all leaders off with Usurper isn't a good solution to those problems. Also as I mentioned before it is possible to counter Ardal without Usurper. If you can avoid putting down cards that he can pull that is a counter in itself. You won't always be able to do it but the concept is still there which I have used many times.

Likewise, I should get at least a turn to, if not the ability to take countermeasures when my oppent is looking for a spell to reduce my point total, boost theirs, or play an extra card. After all, I didn't choose the leader that person chose. Really, we could take it to the level of absurdity and say we should get a choice to decline a match against leaders we don'tt like or our decks don't fair well against. Unfortunately that's not the way the game works.

I don't see how you are drawing these conclusions. I am not against unfavorable matchups. That realy just goes with the genre. It's not avoidable. Usurper is a problem for other reasons.

You should stop looking at the situation entirely through the lens of your deck. If you did, you might see that Usurper doesn't really give his deck any extra abilities.

You appear to be making assumptions about me. I use many decks and I used Usurper a lot this season because I am not against using what the devs provide. Usurper was very useful in stopping DJ and Foltest (to some extent) but I still argue that he is bad for the game as I have since day 1 he was put in. I want to see leaders balanced well and Usurper taken out so that players can play what they want and not have to think that their entire strategy is just going to be casually turned off.

It's kind of like when other leaders play each other, it's joker's wild. Usurper just takes the jokers out of the pack for both players. It's then up to the players to make the best use of the cards they're dealt.

This is not a fair assessment. An Usurper deck is built without a leader in mind. The opponents deck was built with the leader in mind and therefore can suffer a lot because of it. It's not simply "ok now it's a fair game because neither of us have a leader". That just isn't true.

We are talking about a leader, not a card. I also don't think its accurate to call it "emotional investment". All players deck build with the goal of creating a strong deck to win games with. The developers built the current game with strong leaders to synergize with the cards. My argument is that it is counter intuitive to make the game this way and then just automatically turn off your synergies that you built. This is very obviously going to bother the players who spent the time deck building the way the game intended. That is relevant to the discussion as no one plays a game just to get irritated at it's design.

Yet every meta we have people complain that this faction is too strong, this card requires too much set up or tech to answer. Maybe it just comes down to you think the game is built a certain way and should be played as such. Those players think the game is built a different way and makes it difficult for them to play it they way they think it should be played. Yet in its warts'n'all state, which includes things we might not think healthy or right for the game, we have a game we can play and are playing it as the developers intended. So yes, that might just include every now and again in a healthy meta, you play a match without your leader,

If you are wanting to argue that leaders are bad for the game and should be taken out then that's an interesting topic that I would have to really think through but it's a separate topic.
A different topic certainly, but in this context it's merely a counterpoint to your argument that something needs to be subtracted from the game to enhance your enjoyment. After all, you fail to consider the enjoyment of those players who like the offending mechanic. Thus, it should be if one is to lose, then all should lose.

I think leaders still need more work and I think some are better designed than others. Usurper is still a seperate issue regardless. If leaders are problematic then the devs need to actually address them. Usurper is not a solution. I don't know what you mean by "bad builds". The game is designed this way. It's designed for you to get as many points out of each leader as possible. It is not the players fault that this is how the game has been made. I never argued that shutting down the leader with Usurper automatically wins you the game but it does highly effect the game. It's a dice roll as to how big of an advantage you might get by doing it. You mention Igor townsfolk as not being shut down by Usurper but Usurper really really hurts DJ overall. Coins fuels the strategy and by taking away a lot of the coins the overall strategy suffers greatly. I personally havnet' had any desire to play SY at all this season but there is no way I would want to play DJ when his ability just gets turned off in random games. Same with multiple other leaders in the game. What is the point of deck building with these leaders when you suddenly aren't allowed to use them? That makes zero sense.

See first response. Your argument regarding the 'as intended' is purely subjective. Having Usurper as he is suggests the developers 'as intended' includes space for leaders not always having access to their powers. This in turn suggests that robust decks should have more than one wincon built into them. If your deck can't win without the leader, it is a bad build. However, the existence of bad builds may also be part of the developer's 'as intended'.

I don't even know what the argment is here. What does the power of these decks have to do with Usurper? It doesn't matter to me if AQ is strong or weak. What matters is it's huge amount of synerigies with it's leader does nothing in every match up with Usurper. Why would I want to subject myself to that? "The meta" is not the point. If you are suggesting that every deck can simply adjust to account for not having it's leader then I believe you are mistaken. Sometimes you simply lose massive amounts of points. Gernichora simply loses a ton of points for not having it's leader. SirPumpkn made this point in a recent video as well. If you are suggesting to simply change decks so that Usurper doesn't matter as much then I agree. That's exactly what I do and I believe that hurts the game. It's limiting to players in a game that is already limited by having few options at the high ranks.

Simply that, your argument is that competitive, high level decks should not have their leader's abilities turned off. I see zero suggestions from you on expanding the options of players at high levels. That said, I think most games at high/pro level often distill down to a handful of builds. Thus having their builds function as they should is no more healthy for the game than having to eat point loss from being built to optimise that ability,

Leaders are balanced by provisions but as I said before if you don't like leaders or certain leaders then that is a separate argument. Turning all leaders off with Usurper isn't a good solution to those problems. Also as I mentioned before it is possible to counter Ardal without Usurper. If you can avoid putting down cards that he can pull that is a counter in itself. You won't always be able to do it but the concept is still there which I have used many times.
But your argument is that you don't like this particular leader. As I said, the game is not built to your specifications. Now if you designed the game, then the argument of "but you can counterplay without shutting down a leader" would be absolute. Again, your opinion, like mine, is subjective, and should not put one person's enjoyment over another's.

You appear to be making assumptions about me. I use many decks and I used Usurper a lot this season because I am not against using what the devs provide. Usurper was very useful in stopping DJ and Foltest (to some extent) but I still argue that he is bad for the game as I have since day 1 he was put in. I want to see leaders balanced well and Usurper taken out so that players can play what they want and not have to think that their entire strategy is just going to be casually turned off.
And I don't see Usurper to be as problematic as you imply him to be. And when you refuse to consider that some people might actually like playing Usurper because he does add some depth to strategy and building, you're simply imposing yourself on those players. SO what if they don't like the version of the game you think we should be playing? what then?

This is not a fair assessment. An Usurper deck is built without a leader in mind. The opponents deck was built with the leader in mind and therefore can suffer a lot because of it. It's not simply "ok now it's a fair game because neither of us have a leader". That just isn't true.

Nonsense. Some of the strongest T1 decks were built around their interactions of their bronze and gold cards, (and also silver cards when they were a thing). Leaders tended to be used for utility, not for key strategy. Even in the current meta, Foltest and DJ are there for extra value and insurance against bad draws Again you're arguing single strategy decks, which are inherently weak, need only their leader to be on tap for them to perform well, no matter how strong control or removal cards are.

Afaik, CDPR always communicated that leader-deck synergy is what HC will focus on. That sounded great and fun. Then CDPR implements Usurper's current ability, accomplishing exactly the opposite. It's like a bad April Fools' joke, telling you how fun it will be to play decks with amazing leader-deck synergy, and then creating a leader that takes all that away, actually punishing you for focusing on what was promised.

There are a bunch of other big examples where CDPR communicates one thing (a vision?) and then implements something that is or accomplishes exactly the opposite. They seem to throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks like it's an early beta. Problem is, there will always be some people who make something stick a little bit, who like something, anything. Therefore I hold CDPR responsible for these discussions and frustration among players about what should be clear, basic, ground-rule stuff. If Tesla would say: "We're now also going to produce cars that run on gas, because some people like cars that run on gas", do you think that will increase Tesla's popularity? Not being clear and true to communications and vision (or not having any) brings bad things on multiple levels.

One level lower, still very important, basic, ground-rule-stuff issue with Usurper's ability: It's simply impossible to balance. Usurper's ability's strength depends entirely on the opponent leader ability and deck synergy. The opponent leader ability has already been balanced through the provisions that the opponent leader provides. Usurper taking away any opponent leader ability is by definition unbalanced, because these abilities are not all the same strength. For example Usurper automatically denying Gernichora 15 - 20 points (maybe even more) per game for one provision difference. That is in no way defensible.

Yet every meta we have people complain that this faction is too strong, this card requires too much set up or tech to answer.

I don't know what this has to do with the topic. Yeah balancing is always an issue. What does that have to do with Usurper?

Maybe it just comes down to you think the game is built a certain way and should be played as such. Those players think the game is built a different way and makes it difficult for them to play it they way they think it should be played. Yet in its warts'n'all state, which includes things we might not think healthy or right for the game, we have a game we can play and are playing it as the developers intended. So yes, that might just include every now and again in a healthy meta, you play a match without your leader,

It's not a matter of opinion that the devs built the leaders like that. They are the way they are and Usurper contradicts their own design.

A different topic certainly, but in this context it's merely a counterpoint to your argument that something needs to be subtracted from the game to enhance your enjoyment. After all, you fail to consider the enjoyment of those players who like the offending mechanic. Thus, it should be if one is to lose, then all should lose.

I think I would need you to rephrase this to respond to it. I don't understand what you are getting at. If removing the leaders from the game is a seperate topic then it's not a counterpoint to anything I said. I also know that some people like Usurper. I know that they like it as I have played Usurper and I know why they like it. That doesn't it's worth having.

See first response. Your argument regarding the 'as intended' is purely subjective. Having Usurper as he is suggests the developers 'as intended' includes space for leaders not always having access to their powers. This in turn suggests that robust decks should have more than one wincon built into them. If your deck can't win without the leader, it is a bad build. However, the existence of bad builds may also be part of the developer's 'as intended'.

As I have been arguing putting Usurper into the game is a mistake that contradicts a large piece of game design. All they have to do to fix this mistake is remove him or change him. The "have more wincon" argument is extremely flawed as I have already pointed out. Turning off a leader such as Gernichora deletes a lot fo points throughout all the rounds. That is more than just one wincon. Limiting players by saying "ok go deck build BUT don't make any decks that rely on the leaders we put into the game". Limiting players has always been a bad idea. You take Usurper out and all of the sudden players have the freedom to make many more decks which is good considering how few good decks there are in competitive play. All of the sudden those bad builds you label them are now viable.

Simply that, your argument is that competitive, high level decks should not have their leader's abilities turned off. I see zero suggestions from you on expanding the options of players at high levels. That said, I think most games at high/pro level often distill down to a handful of builds. Thus having their builds function as they should is no more healthy for the game than having to eat point loss from being built to optimise that ability,

Getting rid of Usurper literally does expand options of players at high levels.

But your argument is that you don't like this particular leader. As I said, the game is not built to your specifications.

This would be a strawman argument as I have never simply said "I don't like Usurper so take him out". I've explained why he doesn't make sense in multiple ways with examples. I've even said that I am using Usurper now myself, but winning games with him by turning off my opponents leaders does not convince me he is good for the game. I would much rather just be able to use any leader with any strategy that I wish. I do not feel compelled to do that with this badly designed leader in the game. I also want the devs to be consistent with their own design. Either let players use the leaders you create or take them out entirely. Pick a direction and go with it.

Now if you designed the game, then the argument of "but you can counterplay without shutting down a leader" would be absolute. Again, your opinion, like mine, is subjective, and should not put one person's enjoyment over another's.

Really don't know what you are talking about. What does me designing the game have anything to do with what I said about counter playing without shutting down the leader? When did I say anything about putting one persons enjoyment over anothers?

And I don't see Usurper to be as problematic as you imply him to be. And when you refuse to consider that some people might actually like playing Usurper because he does add some depth to strategy and building, you're simply imposing yourself on those players. SO what if they don't like the version of the game you think we should be playing? what then?

What depth does Usurper provide? I seriously want to know. I have been using him a lot lately and I don't feel at all strategic in doing so. I literally just picked Usurper and threw a bunch of good cards into a deck and went out and won. There is no strategy in simply picking a leader that shuts off another leader. That is automatic. It takes zero thinking. It's impossible to make everyone happy. I am arguing that Usurper contradicts then devs own game design and I want them to be consistent. It's logic based and not emotional.

Nonsense. Some of the strongest T1 decks were built around their interactions of their bronze and gold cards, (and also silver cards when they were a thing). Leaders tended to be used for utility, not for key strategy. Even in the current meta, Foltest and DJ are there for extra value and insurance against bad draws Again you're arguing single strategy decks, which are inherently weak, need only their leader to be on tap for them to perform well, no matter how strong control or removal cards are.

You appeared to be claiming that Usurper puts decks on even footing which I am saying is objectively not true. Some decks don't suffer much from Usurper and some suffer HEAVILY. No this isnt just for"single strategy decks". Meve and Gernichora off the top of my head suffer a lot from losing their synergis as well as points throughout every round. Gernichora suffers even more because it's provisions are low as well.

I also don't get the whole "single strategy decks are inherently weak" argument. Why would they have to be inherently weak if Usurper didn't exist? With good tutors you can make a deck like this that is consistent enough to be high level. That would make the game more diverse.

Edit: I don't mind discussing this more but maybe we should take it to private messages so that this thread isn't taken up by these very long posts.
Post automatically merged:

For example Usurper automatically denying Gernichora 15 - 20 points (maybe even more) per game for one provision difference. That is in no way defensible.

:beer: Well said.

What depth does Usurper provide? I seriously want to know. I have been using him a lot lately and I don't feel at all strategic in doing so. I literally just picked Usurper and threw a bunch of good cards into a deck and went out and won. There is no strategy in simply picking a leader that shuts off another leader. That is automatic. It takes zero thinking. It's impossible to make everyone happy. I am arguing that Usurper contradicts then devs own game design and I want them to be consistent. It's logic based and not emotional.

The only strategy Usurper player has, is to figure out which cards to lock or kill. As example; For the opponent that plays Meve, the strategy is about placement, and figuring out which units to buff when playing against Ardal and possible order in which they are played, in an attempt to avoid to have the best engine seized. Either way, Meve still has an unfavourable matchup, but nevertheless, it has more strategic flavour to it than playing against Usurper.

A skilled Usurper player with knowledge of the opponents (net)Deck, prioritzes his own removal options in advance. This implies that no matter which cards a Meve player chooses to play, in any given order, the outcome feels predetermined. Playing without leader, yeah right, great fun and great strategy. As if the 10 card limit weren't already restrictive enough in design as it is.

This game is no way HS or MTG. The leaders matter as they contribute to a strategic 'feel' to it, as using them during any turn feels like an extra option. It's the only way this game can truly differentiate itself from it's competitiors.

Edit: I don't mind discussing this more but maybe we should take it to private messages so that this thread isn't taken up by these very long posts.

Please dont. I appreciate both yours and Archan6el contribution to this topic, despite the fact that same arguments have been repeated over and over. The true passion you guys show for this neverending issue might in fact push the necesarry changes. Developers need to realize the contradiction in their logic by designing Usurper in the first place.

Hence I feel compelled to repeat after you; 'Putting Usurper into the game is a mistake that contradicts a large piece of game design'

I appreciate both yours and Archan6el contribution to this topic, despite the fact that same arguments have been repeated over and over. The true passion you guys show for this neverending issue might in fact push the necesarry changes. Developers need to realize the contradiction in their logic by designing Usurper in the first place.

Hence I feel compelled to repeat after you; 'Putting Usurper into the game is a mistake that contradicts a large piece of game design'
Thanks. :beer: Instead of endless discussions about the symptoms of bad design, unclear vision and/or vision implementation and adherence, let's focus on the root causes. You know, the most important stuff. It seems CDPR needs this (as you wrote, repeated over and over).

Despite beeing a "Usurper hater" i have to agree with one thing: Abilites that F**k with opponents leader are not a bad thing, just the execution in form of Usurper is absolutely atrocious. These abilities should not be on a leader, but on a card (plus removing a leader from the match is just too much).

I would love to see some cards that can interact with leaders - positively or negatively.
Some of my ideas:
1.) Unit. Immune. When opponent passes lock itself. After 5 turns disable the enemy leader for the rest of the game.
2.) Unit. Melee: Increase the enemy leader cooldown by 2. Ranged: Increase your leader damage/boost by 2.
3.) Special. Change your leader ability to: Spawn and play "a unit" with power equal to your leader provisions, banish it at the end of the round.
4.) Unit. Melee: Reduce enemy leader's charges by half (rounded down). Ranged: Boost self by 3.
5.) Special. Banish a card from your hand and reset your leader.

Top Bottom