Suggestions for easier menu navigation with gamepad (1.6)

+
I feel that when using a gamepad, menus in CP rely too much on slow-moving cursor-thing. It's inefficient, confusing, and frustrating at times.

And my solution to that, in short, are secondary tabs controlled with triggers, and more consistent use of a d-pad.

To be fair, I saw in some old menu designs, that the idea of secondary tabs controlled with triggers was present.
Screenshot_12.png

I don't know why it was scrapped, but I hope the devs can re-evaluate this decision.
Regarding D-pad, we should be able to jump between every interactive element in the menu with it, and it's not consistent right now. For example, it doesn't work in the attributes menu shown above.

Here is my more in-depth critique:

CRAFTING SCREEN
Crafting_01_comment.png
- In the crafting screen everything is mostly ok, we have tabs, but it will be more convenient to have the ability to switch them with triggers.
- Also there should be the ability to craft items without moving this slow cursor over the 'CRAFT' button. Just make 'hold A to craft' always active, when we hover over a weapon or other craftables.

INVENTORY SCREEN
Inventory_01_comment.png
- Backpack and cyberware should be made as a tabs.
- Stats should be moved to the Character category to be consistent with the main menu
- Character rotation could be assigned to the right analog stick instead.
- The cursor should snap to the nearest interactive elements with D-pad, even if not hovering over anything.
- Free space left after buttons could be used for something else, for ex. easier access to consumables, weapon attachments, or cyberdeck

CYBERWARE SCREEN
mods_01_comment.png
- Again, the cursor should snap to the nearest interactive elements with D-pad, even if not hovering over anything.
- Cyberdeck could have a fixed button bind, as a shortcut for faster access.

CHARACTER SCREEN
Character_01_comment.png
- We should have tabs with attributes and stats
- The cursor should snap to the nearest interactive elements with D-pad (it doesn't work at all here)
- Reset perks could be bound to a key all the time, so we could do it without moving the cursor there.
Character_02_comment.png
- Here we have tabs, but we can't control them with triggers, and I would love to have that especially here.
- The cursor should snap to the nearest interactive elements with D-pad (it doesn't work at all here)

STATS SCREEN
- The cursor should snap to the nearest interactive elements with D-pad, even if not hovering over anything.

JOURNAL SCREEN
Journal_01_comment.png
- In the journal, we're also missing tabs, especially for messages and shards. It's highly inconvenient now, even with these little info links on the side (which I really like anyway).

MAIN MENU
Menu_01_comment.png
- In the main menu I think it would be good to have the ability to jump to another section with D-pad even if we selected subsections. Now it's not possible, and you have to go back to the main section, and then change to another.
- Skip time could be bound to a key all the time, so we could use it without moving the cursor there.

OTHER
- Menu doesn't scale to 16:10 resolution (we have black bars on top and bottom)

Top Bottom