Suggestions for new Traps

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Scarecrow: 3 Provisions. Zeal. Order. Flip over.
That is it. It's a trap with 0 points NO ability. Before saying it is junk and will be useless and no one will use it, please listen to me. This can synergize with Half-Elf hunter, Hawker Support, Pyro. But more importantly, it can bait Artifact Removal or even force an opponent to pass thinking it may be a Pit Fall Trap or Horn. It would be a nice *trap* for the opponent and Eldain can get 3 points out of it - compensating the provision. Let's say I play a Pitfall Trap and then Ioverth and take it and deploy Scarecrow, it would be a good gameplay. High risk, low tempo play, but isn't that the core of traps?

---
[Can't think of a name]. 5 Provisions. If there are two face down allied traps on an allied turn end, flip over and summon a Deadeye on both sides.
---

[Can't think of a name]: 8 provisions, epic card: After three allied turns, on turn end, flip over and grant Immunity to a random ally.

---
[Can't think of a name]: 4 provisions. Flip over and lock the next enemy with order ability is played.

---
That is all I think of. If you have any ideas/suggestions please share it here.

Scarecrow: 3 Provisions. Zeal. Order. Flip over.
That is it. It's a trap with 0 points NO ability. Before saying it is junk and will be useless and no one will use it, please listen to me. This can synergize with Half-Elf hunter, Hawker Support, Pyro. But more importantly, it can bait Artifact Removal or even force an opponent to pass thinking it may be a Pit Fall Trap or Horn. It would be a nice *trap* for the opponent and Eldain can get 3 points out of it - compensating the provision. Let's say I play a Pitfall Trap and then Ioverth and take it and deploy Scarecrow, it would be a good gameplay. High risk, low tempo play, but isn't that the core of traps?

---
[Can't think of a name]. 5 Provisions. If there are two face down allied traps on an allied turn end, flip over and summon a Deadeye on both sides.
---

[Can't think of a name]: 8 provisions, epic card: After three allied turns, on turn end, flip over and grant Immunity to a random ally.

---
[Can't think of a name]: 4 provisions. Flip over and lock the next enemy with order ability is played.

---
That is all I think of. If you have any ideas/suggestions please share it here.
Number 1 - good addition. Nice, creative... usable... uniquely 3 provisions which is very powerful.
Number 2 - Does this really need to exist as trap?
Number 3 - unreliable RNG no thanks.
Number 4 - Lock the next unit before it can activate any ability would be more suitable. And 4 provisions are absolutely sound for this.

Breli

Forum regular
I would like to see some traps that are not damage based. Copy from the Eldain thread

#1: Forest stash, Bronze, 4 P
Activate the next time units on this row are damaged and boost two random units on this row by two.
Idea/concept: Elfs have hidden stashes in the forest that help them to survive dire situations …

#2: whirlwind, Gold, 7 P
Order: Move 5 random enemy units to the other row
Idea/concept: A trap that should synchronize with the movement archetype. This allows to disrupt row locked units. Synergizes with Sentry.

And some new ones:

#3: Can’t think of a name, Gold, 12P
Activate at round end. If you have less points than your opponent draw a card.

#4: Gift of the Forest, Bronze, 4P
Order: heal all damaged allies on this row by 1. Idea/concept; helps against the crach spear/ bloodthirst pest ...

#5: Curse of the afterlife, Gold, 7P
Order Melee: Banish a card from your opponents graveyard.
Order Ranged: shuffle a card from your Graveyard into your deck
Idea/concept: byebye eating your own Speartip

Last edited:
I'm completly against adding a 3 provisions card. This card would even for 0 value cheap enough to just include it and then mulligan it and at the other hand include an even more expensive unit.

Trap
X provisions
Whenever an ally is targeted by an ability or special card, summon the lowest provision cost unit from your deck as the new target.

1) protects an important unit from damage or even lock
2) provides thinning
3) can be played around by using a small ping
3) provides some interesting deck building choices and tradeoffs when played around it, ex: having an elder bear the lowest cost in your deck when the trap is played

Breli

Forum regular
(btw if someone didn't know, you can use for example https://gwentgenerator.com/ to generate your ideas as a real-looking card ;p)

If that helps to get some more decent traps :p ... here you go: rrc's proposal in all its glory!

custom-card.jpg

rrc

Forum veteran
Number 1 - good addition. Nice, creative... usable... uniquely 3 provisions which is very powerful.
Number 2 - Does this really need to exist as trap?
Number 3 - unreliable RNG no thanks.
Number 4 - Lock the next unit before it can activate any ability would be more suitable. And 4 provisions are absolutely sound for this.
#2 - This will be useful for elf-swarm archetype which will help Isengrim and Yeaven. To bring 6 point body on the board, it needs a condition that there should be two face down traps (when I think more, it should be 3 face down traps, including this trap). Traps are basically to let the opponents guess what it could be and to play around. May be 6 provisions will be correct for this.
#3 - Not unreliable. If I have you have another trap in your hand, play that trap in next turn and then the unit you want to be immune. If you don't have a trap, then yes, it is a problem. But it is not a complete RNG. If you want to get immune status for an engine, then it should be earned it. Right?
#4 - If it can block any deploy ability, then it should be an epic card with more provisions as deploy abilities are some times too powerful and a 4 point card shouldn't block it. But order cards, the opponents anyhow come prepared that it may be locked - the order ability. The downside of this trap is, if there are no order units with the opponent, it will be a 0 point card. But it is still OK I think. At least it can synergize with cards expecting more traps/artifacts in board.

I would like to see some traps that are not damage based. Copy from the Eldain thread

#1: Forest stash, Bronze, 4 P
Activate the next time units on this row are damaged and boost two random units on this row by two.
Idea/concept: Elfs have hidden stashes in the forest that help them to survive dire situations …

#2: whirlwind, Gold, 7 P
Order: Move 5 random enemy units to the other row
Idea/concept: A trap that should synchronize with the movement archetype. This allows to disrupt row locked units. Synergizes with Sentry.

And some new ones:

#3: Can’t think of a name, Gold, 12P
Activate at round end. If you have less points than your opponent draw a card.

#4: Gift of the Forest, Bronze, 4P
Order: heal all damaged allies on this row by 1. Idea/concept; helps against the crach spear/ bloodthirst pest ...

#5: Curse of the afterlife, Gold, 7P
Order Melee: Banish a card from your opponents graveyard.
Order Ranged: shuffle a card from your Graveyard into your deck
Idea/concept: byebye eating your own Speartip
Very nice suggestions Breli
#1: This can brick in many cases. For it to boost two units, there should be at least 3 units to get the value reliably (so that even if one unit is destroyed, the next two units get boosted). So, when deployed late, what if no one in that row gets attacked?
#2: When Nivellen can do it for 8 provisions with 5 point body on the board, would this be used at all? Since trap don't give value.
#3: This would be useful in R1 and R2 where if you lose the round, you draw a card? In R3, this will be completely bricked. Too risky to use for 12 provisions. Isn't it?
#5: Xavier give 5 points on board for 8 provisions to do (kind of) the same. Would this be useful as long as Xavier retains his ability?

I'm completly against adding a 3 provisions card. This card would even for 0 value cheap enough to just include it and then mulligan it and at the other hand include an even more expensive unit.
Would you add a 0 points card in your deck to save 1 provision? Unless you build your deck which can synergise with this, I don't think people will simply add it to get +1 provision for another card.

Trap
X provisions
Whenever an ally is targeted by an ability or special card, summon the lowest provision cost unit from your deck as the new target.

1) protects an important unit from damage or even lock
2) provides thinning
3) can be played around by using a small ping
3) provides some interesting deck building choices and tradeoffs when played around it, ex: having an elder bear the lowest cost in your deck when the trap is played
Very nice!
If that helps to get some more decent traps :p ... here you go: rrc's proposal in all its glory!

View attachment 10990973
Awesome Breli!

I love people supporting more artifacts and more complexity and variability in the game rather than saying they are ‘binary’ and should be banned.

rrc

Forum veteran
In other words, an Engine artifact is a very bad thing. If traps are not artifacts (and some different class altogether) it is still fine. The problem is being binary comes into picture when you are facing a powerful engine and you can't remove it. Your draw or deck not having the removal becomes the binary aspect.

With traps, they are tagged as artifact. Otherwise, people don't mind facing an artifact deck and not having artifact removals. Traps are interesting and you can play around it. But not artifact engines. Yes, fk spear and shield and love traps :p

No other artifacts make people irritated. Its only Spear and Shield (and previously, may it RIP, Sihil).

Very nice suggestions Breli
#1: This can brick in many cases. For it to boost two units, there should be at least 3 units to get the value reliably (so that even if one unit is destroyed, the next two units get boosted). So, when deployed late, what if no one in that row gets attacked?
#2: When Nivellen can do it for 8 provisions with 5 point body on the board, would this be used at all? Since trap don't give value.
#3: This would be useful in R1 and R2 where if you lose the round, you draw a card? In R3, this will be completely bricked. Too risky to use for 12 provisions. Isn't it?
#5: Xavier give 5 points on board for 8 provisions to do (kind of) the same. Would this be useful as long as Xavier retains his abi

Good points. It certainly needs finetuning in terms of provisions and so on. Still, I think most of the traps would be viable since you can profit from synergy with Eldin and Scouts (and maybe something else in the future)

#1: Have you ever had a game where your tiny elves were left alone? ;) maybe without the row restriction?
#2: Nivellen bothers me. The best movement card in the game is a neutral while the Scioa'tel one (Malena) is crap ...
#3: True. But Gambit should be changed anyway so that you can select two traps to play and not two random ones ... it still can brick though, correct.
#5: probably not, would only make sense with added synergy

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
11 provision, prisoner of the ST. After 3 turns flip over and sieze the lowest enemy unit.

7 provisions, Spring trap. The next card the user plays will be boosted by 4 and turned over (essentially fully immune from both sides,) until the user passes.

9 provisions, thunder and lightning. Thunder moves a melee unit to ranged row, and lighting does 5 damage to units on the ranged row. The player should get to assign the 5 points as individual damage rather than 5 on one enemy or at random.

Pavkos sack:
When an enemy plays a unit with 4 or more health, steal half of its power to your ally (or just add it without stealing)

Shapeshift:
Flip Chose: turn 2 allies into Elves or Dwarfs

Labyrinth:
The next unit an enemy plays goes back to his deck before triggering its ability and gets replaced by a lazy dwarf (Lazy drunk dwarf: 3 health unit)

Barely alive:
The next ally (with text) that dies comes back to life with 1 health and his ability gets triggered

Backfire:
The next time an enemy deals damage to your ally, it deals damage to one of his friendly units instead

No idea what provision should be please give your suggestions and critiques

Top Bottom