Suggestions for next journey

+
Since my project Warfare idea didn’t get much feedback I thought I would share a different idea for the next journey story. Allow me to begin with a disclaimer, I haven’t played the Witcher one and barley started the Witcher 2 (though I will eventually cycle back to it,) so part or all of this might need tweaking to fit canon.

The journey follows Geralt and Yen after Avalon. It covers the abduction by the wild hunt, and introduces us to individual members of the hunt as well as more of Eredin’s court. The story concludes where the first Witcher game begins and could maybe even fill in some of the blanks of ciri’s involvement. The goal is to set up a wild hunt faction expansion in the future. The new characters being the basis for the cards.

The alternative idea is to tell a Journey story with Geralt and Ciri set 10 years after the Witcher 3 ends. Ciri takes Geralt back in time to an era when Kaer Morhen was intact and the Witcher profession was thriving. You can fill in the blanks on the reason why this trip takes place, but the end result is new characters which form the basis for a Witcher faction expansion.

I think both Witcher and Wild Hunt Faction ideas are too shallow. There are no that much characters in source materials (books, games) they can use to make brand new faction and also they've already included Wild Hunt as monsters and Witchers as Neutrals. If they are gonna expand Witchers or Wild Hunt, they have to add a lot of characters we don't know which will make most of players dislike it. The world in the books is not as large as CDPR games. And as a person who read all the books, i cant think any other faction idea but Southern realms. Even this is so hard because both in the books and games, there are barely few characters introduced from the region. As a result, i believe they shouldn't push themselves to create new faction, instead they should be focusing reviving dead cards and releasing a new expansion for existing factions.

For the next journey, This time they should offer 2 leaders in premium pass. Witcher universe has a lot of characters. If they release only 1 character in each new journey, it will take unnecessarily long time to add all these characters. I think new leaders should be Yennefer and Ciri, the other 2 most important characters in Witcher Universe after Geralt. Journey story can be about Yennefer educates Ciri on sorcery which happened on the books before. They can just make up a new story about it.

I think both Witcher and Wild Hunt Faction ideas are too shallow. There are no that much characters in source materials (books, games) they can use to make brand new faction and also they've already included Wild Hunt as monsters and Witchers as Neutrals. If they are gonna expand Witchers or Wild Hunt, they have to add a lot of characters we don't know which will make most of players dislike it. The world in the books is not as large as CDPR games. And as a person who read all the books, i cant think any other faction idea but Southern realms. Even this is so hard because both in the books and games, there are barely few characters introduced from the region. As a result, i believe they shouldn't push themselves to create new faction, instead they should be focusing reviving dead cards and releasing a new expansion for existing factions.

For the next journey, This time they should offer 2 leaders in premium pass. Witcher universe has a lot of characters. If they release only 1 character in each new journey, it will take unnecessarily long time to add all these characters. I think new leaders should be Yennefer and Ciri, the other 2 most important characters in Witcher Universe after Geralt. Journey story can be about Yennefer educates Ciri on sorcery which happened on the books before. They can just make up a new story about it.

I strongly disagree with most of what you said.

1. Syndicate has flat out invented plenty of characters and has a ton of generic nameless units. Witcher viper is an example of a nameless Witcher already in Gwent. The special cards are Witcher potions with two different effects depending on whether a Witcher consumed them. You add two dozen names and your good to go on the Witcher faction. Over 12 weeks that is very easy. 2 new names per week. Wild hunt is even easier as they are magic users and come from their own kingdom. Special cards are spells and gold units are court members.

2. People care far more about the function of the card then the name on it. If you change Regis to detlaff would that stop people from using row sweep? If you rename speartip to something else would people stop using a 12 point monster? People want the meta to be better. Better usually means more balanced and therefore more diverse. Adding factions means adding archetypes which adds diversity and thus improves the meta. You can also retool plenty of dead cards into the new factions thus reviving them and saving work for the developers. Witch hunters is a good example.

3. Journey is an opportunity for original story telling. While I understand the concept behind mildly interesting filler being used, it is wasted opportunity. It would be much better if the stories expanded the world.

Edit to include: Thronebreaker added characters to the mythology and to the best of my knowledge people didn’t hate that. The only difference is Thronebreaker is an independent game whereas Journey would essentially be a very short story. If players knew that story was going to be used as the basis for an expansion most would read it and those who did not could go back and do so at any time.

Last edited:
1. Viper Witcher is nothing new. He already exist in first game.

2. I never said people are not gonna use these cards. I said if they keep adding card unrelated to story, they will make players who are into Witcher lore dislike it. Me and friends of mine are playing the game because of Witcher vibes. Of course that doesnt involve all the players.

3. Thronebreaker is a filler story. Nearly all of those characters exist in the universe.

I am not against creating new faction. I am saying there are other problems of this game instead of new faction. And devs should focus them.

Last edited:
There is no point in adding new achetypes or factions, when the ones we have aren't completely fleshed out or not competitive at all.
At this point the discussion is irrelevant, as there are no plans in releasing new factions this year.
Furthermore, we have to see how old cards are balanced in the light of 2 coming expansions.

Top Bottom