Suggestions for TW3 marketing strategy

+
Suggestions for TW3 marketing strategy

We all love games made by CDPR. To make games, they need money.
Of course, we know that CDPR is one of the rare companies in the industry which adheres to the principle "We want to make games, so we need money to do this" as opposed to "We want to make money, so we make games" (which is, unfortunately, the governing rule of all big publishers).
However, the money part is still there. It'd be great if more people will buy CDPR games (without dumbing the games down), which would allow CDPR to make better games. For this reason CDPR needs to make a smart marketing campaign.
Maybe we, forum users, can help them with this by brainstorming useful ideas for this campaign. I suggest posting these ideas here.

Let me start with the following one (this is just a suggestion, I'm not completely sure if it's really valuable, it's up for discussion):
At the time when the next major TW3 trailer gets released, put TW1 and TW2 on sale on Steam&GOG for a few bucks (this part isn't a new idea, it was already done before), AND include this information into the trailer itself. If the trailer comes out, say, on the 11th of March (wishful thinking here ;) ), put TW1 and TW2 on sale till, say, the 18th of March, and include an announcement in the trailer saying "TW1 and TW2 are available on Steam&GOG for $5 combined, this sale lasts till the 18th of March". Lots of people will see the trailer, and this will incentivize them to buy TW1 and TW2, and after they play these great games, they will become attached to The Witcher world in the same way as we are attached, which will force them to buy TW3 day one.

Last edited:
Yeah, $15 million was for the development of the game, $25 million is for marketing + additional credit line if they need. Their marketing campaign has yet to start apparently and if @Marcin Momot's words are to be believed(and they should be) we'll have plenty of 'big bombs' of TW3 content and we'll be overloaded with stuff.

Yeah, $15 million was for the development of the game, $25 million is for marketing + additional credit line if they need. Their marketing campaign has yet to start apparently and if @Marcin Momot's words are to be believed(and they should be) we'll have plenty of 'big bombs' of TW3 content and we'll be overloaded with stuff.
It is great to know how much money is being spend on the development.Though I know that marketing and advertisement is also crucial for the project to be successful, it makes me kinda sad that more money is spent on marketing than on developing itself. On the other hand, it is true that advertising is way bigger deal than developing and apparantly more expensive. Mixed feelings. Anyway, I am sure that the money invested in marketing wil be worth it + I believe that CDPR know what they are doing, they surely do.

It is great to know how much money is being spend on the development.Though I know that marketing and advertisement is also crucial for the project to be successful, it makes me kinda sad that more money is spent on marketing than on developing itself. On the other hand, it is true that advertising is way bigger deal than developing and apparantly more expensive. Mixed feelings. Anyway, I am sure that the money invested in marketing wil be worth it + I believe that CDPR know what they are doing, they surely do.

$15mil is CDPR's money they spent on the production, while $25mil related to marketing is going to be spent by distributors, and only afterwards deducted from CDPR's share from the sales. So it wasn't really an option to put this money into production, since it's not CDPR's money.

Anyway, it's a little bit off topic; get your smart marketing suggestions going, people! ;)

Marcin Momot[/MENTION]'s words are to be believed(and they should be) we'll have plenty of 'big bombs' of TW3 content and we'll be overloaded with stuff.

Did he mention by chance when they are going to start bombing? Couple of bombs dropped here and there can go a long way, baby. I don't know how they should conduct their marketing campaign, but I am sure as hell they should start doing it SOON!!!

The one thing they absolutely have to stop doing is calling it the conclusion of a trilogy in their trailers. It's gonna scare off a lot of new people that would otherwise be interested. The 3 in the title already lets you know there are other stories if you want to check them out. If the story can truly stand on its own without knowing the previous 2 games then let it stand on its own.

$15mil is CDPR's money they spent on the production, while $25mil related to marketing is going to be spent by distributors, and only afterwards deducted from CDPR's share from the sales. So it wasn't really an option to put this money into production, since it's not CDPR's money.

Anyway, it's a little bit off topic; get your smart marketing suggestions going, people! ;)
Didnt know that. Thanks for making that clear to me ;)

Isn't that a little bit late? DAI will release around the same time as TW3 and has already shown a 15-30min gameplay vid.
I guess CDPR want to show their game once it looks very good. And that's why they waited so long, Iwinski(I think?) said in an interview in Jan or Feb that their marketing campaign will start in the "coming months".

Isn't that a little bit late? DAI will release around the same time as TW3 and has already shown a 15-30min gameplay vid.

Release of DAI was postponed, it was first scheduled to be released last Fall. No wonder they have more stuff to show - the damn thing should have been ready six months ago. But with TW3 we don't even know a release date, only that it is (very likely) in 2014.

Release of DAI was postponed, it was first scheduled to be released last Fall. No wonder they have more stuff to show - the damn thing should have been ready six months ago. But with TW3 we don't even know a release date, only that it is (very likely) in 2014.

Oh, thanks, I didn't know that. I wonder why it was postponed. It's a good sign from Bioware atleast. They don't want the same disaster as with DA2 it seems.

Top Bottom