Suggestions for TW3 marketing strategy

+
@Pajkes I agree that a lot of the game is still shrouded in mystery but with the delay there has been a fairly big shift. I complained about the marketing plan before because I thought that we were atleast somewhat close to release. With one year of waiting ahaead of us there is not that much reason to show footage and hand out information, there is still a lot of time left.

@gregski is it really necessary to give reactions that seem like nothing more than a personal insult/assault or getting close to that?
Think of complaining about the marketing plan what you will but atleast those posts still have some merit, a song to offend does not really in my opinion and seems a bit petty.

Hey now, that's my thread and I update it every-time I find something new, unless it's been posted already by someone else.

Yeah and it's great thread and it really has A LOT of Witcher 3 material (trailers,screenshots,concept art etc.).And it's not your fault that it doesn't get updated regulary every 2 weeks or so but it's because of the lack of new material.Anyway I'm going into sleeping mode for Witcher 3 and there are a lot of games like South Park:Stick of thruth and Dark Souls 2 among others to keep me occupied in the meantime.Still it would be great if CD Projekt would release that gameplay demo which was shown to press behind closed doors over 8 months ago.Bioware allowed leaks,I don't see why CD Projekt should allow Bioware to be better than them in only one thing - having gameplay footage of their game available to the public.

Also noone is crying,I'm just saying what I think.Let's not turn this into GTA V's forum where if you dare to say anything less than GTA V was a masterpiece you are whiner (it was great game with many shortcomings which can be fixed in future dlcs) or Creative Assembly's official forum.If anyone here is familiar with garbage Rome 2 is and visits official forums than he is aware of the huge difference between them and TWC.

No need to form CD Projekt's national guard and defend it from me because I'm not attacking devs who are in my humble opinion one of the best ever to exist.I know that it's pretty popular to either hate devs or play white knight and I guess I find both of those things kinda silly.

Last edited:
Yeah and it's great thread and it really has A LOT of Witcher 3 material (trailers,screenshots,concept art etc.).And it's not your fault that it doesn't get updated regulary every 2 weeks or so but it's because of the lack of new material.Anyway I'm going into sleeping mode for Witcher 3 and there are a lot of games like South Park:Stick of thruth and Dark Souls 2 among others to keep me occupied in the meantime.Still it would be great if CD Projekt would release that gameplay demo which was shown to press behind closed doors over 8 months ago.Bioware allowed leaks,I don't see why CD Projekt should allow Bioware to be better than them in only one thing - having gameplay footage of their game available to the public.

Knowing that we have a full year of waiting ahead I would recommend finding some other good RPG experiences. Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin are in Early Access and are pretty great in my opinion. I would also recommend Legend of Grimrock or Paper Sorcerer if you like big dungeons and riddles/puzzles.

Knowing that we have a full year of waiting ahead I would recommend finding some other good RPG experiences. Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin are in Early Access and are pretty great in my opinion. I would also recommend Legend of Grimrock or Paper Sorcerer if you like big dungeons and riddles/puzzles.

Yeah also Pillars of Eternity from Obsidian should be released this year and there are also Watch Dogs but I have first to read reviews for that one because of the latest trailer.There are a lot of ways to make time pass faster and unless I get hit by the car or ww3 starts I think we should all be able to play and enjoy Witcher 3 in 2015.

It's just that releasing that footage from e3 would ease the pain but if they don't want then oh well it's their decision.I can disagree and live with.

Releasing that footage to the general public would not do the game any justice at this point to be honest. While it would of done some good months ago, by now it would only do harm. Even that one "journalist" recently commented on the "stiffness" of the animations, even though she knew it was a very early build of the game.

That being said, I do feel that CDPR has lost a huge amount of momentum from last year to now. Just taking Gamescom for example, where they had this brilliant idea of giving away this huge amount of T-Shirts (as far as I recall it was the biggest at any gaming convention to date, 50.000 T-Shirts in total, if I'm not mistaken), everywhere you turned you would of see the "W3" logo, it was amazing, it even made it in another game's promotional video. And now, all that buzz has somewhat gone to waste in my opinion.

Last edited:
I agree that releasing old E3 footage is not a good idea and Angry Joe doesn't really show any professionalism if he suggests something like that.

I think something more up-to-date like a longer-than-2-minutes trailer showing the actual build of the game could help keep (or restore) the momentum among gamers and reassure the shareholders that the development is on track.

I think it will be great if they could show the old E3 footage , so when they show a new footage this e3 people will notice the improvement after a year of development and create more hype for the game

Last edited:

Jupiter_on_Mars

Now what? TW3 PR strategy for Gamescom 2014 and beyond

E3 2014 has gone by.
Gamescon is fast approaching: 13 through 17 August. 191 days before release.
PAX will follow. 29 August through 1 September. 176 days before release.

How should CDProjekt go about marketing TW3?

What should they do? versus What would you like them to do? Any PR lessons learned from E3 2014? Should the recent leak impact their PR strategy, namely if asked about leaked material (and please do refrain from going into specifics), should they decline to answer? How should they ration gameplay footage until release? What abut dev diaries an CGI trailers?

I'm expecting them to recycle the same presentation to the press ( and that's the additional benefit of it having been behind-closed-doors, that they won't have to do crunch time to polish a new one). This time around though I'd like them to focus on core gameplay mechanics and avoid spoiling the storyline in any way. For example, much as I loved Johnny, I would have preferred to meet him in- game.

More gameplay systems, less storyline. This way fans might still be able to give helpful input.

Last edited:
Ok, I repost it here (same post is already in the E3 discussion thread):

The only thing I want to see is real gameplay. Trailers require a lot of work and money for some eye candy but without actually showing anything new. I think they shouldn't go down the Ubisoft route with multiple fancy trailers in only a few months. They should concentrate on the game itselft instead.

Show us what we really want to see and know. Show us PC gameplay, PS4 gameplay, mouse/keyboard gameplay (with UI), Geralt in a different set of armor, combat with real difficulty and so on.

You know, the REAL stuff not some fancy premade trailer. Quality and information over AAA hype, please. That's what I expect from CDPR in the next months and at Gamescom/PAX/IgroMir.

Addition:
Dev diaries and more "open development" would be great indeed. Something like a regular Reddit AMA would be cool as well to be able to ask the devs directly about the game.

While I loved the material shown at E3. I still feel that I barely know anything about this game. I really hope we get to see how the game actually works at Gamescom.

A lot of systems need showcasing,

-the weakness system on monsters (how has it evolved since they dropped the VATS system);
-how horse riding actually works, mounted combat, etc.;
-crafting
-climbing system;
-the diving system.

That's just to name a few. While journos might have gotten a more in depth presentation, I haven't read/seen anything substantial coming out of these behind closed doors presentations. And what the general public got was superficial to say the least, it looked good, but we hardly learned anything new.

Honestly, my appetite has been sated after the E3 for now (plus that other incident that just happened). All I want right now is to get 1080p videos from E3 (got the swamp vid, but also need the griffin quest and most importantly, the Novigrad scene).

The 45 min demo video would be more than welcome, certainly.

I'd actually prefer it now if they do the big flashy Platige trailer for Gamescon, and the detailed stuff for us, over a period of time. Gamescon will be another big media event, so they need to wow with something different.

So, I'm copying this from what I said in the E3 thread:
Gameplayer video soon (taken from the E3 material, but good quality output), dev diaries soon, Platige trailer just before Gamescon - that's what I'd LOVE to see.

Last edited:
I hope CDPR will not waste any more money for trailers. One additional trailer shortly before release (release trailer) should be enough.

IIRC TES Skyrim (without DLCs/expansions) had exactly TWO official teasers/trailers: an announcement teaser and a gameplay trailer.

Nevertheless they sold millions of copies... ;)

My take on the matter is mostly showing the mechanics and talking about numbers.
Also if I remember right when W2 was in development they first showed it behind closed doors and on a later event released said gameplay to public. I would really like to see the full E3 presentation if possible.
Other than that:
  • Combat showcase
  • Monster weakness mechanic
  • Alchemy/Crafting
  • Signs
  • World economy
  • Numbers - Size of the world, Interact-able NPCs, System requirements
  • Importing choices from previous games
About the leak, I guess there's no use in covering it up. They pretty much confirmed that the documents are authentic and we've known that the plot has been finished for a long time, so there (hopefully) shouldn't be any changes. Also the systems probably changed a lot from alpha, so I guess they should just state that it definitely does not describe the final product, or even better show us what has been improved.

I have the feeling that there won't be any actual "monster weakness system" in the final game (without the VATS system it makes much less sense anyway imo). "Recommended potions/oils" will probably be the only thing that will remain from that.

But I hope CDPR will prove me wrong.

I'd appreciate some more in-depth interviews discussing relevant subjects that haven't been brought up for the umpteenth time, for a change.
Oh, and I would really appreciate if someone could (verbally) slap some sense into the one or the ones responsible for those disgusting (re)design decisions concerning potions and bombs (among other things), should she/he or they be present.

Last edited:
The only thing I want to see is real gameplay. [...] Geralt in a different set of armor, combat with real difficulty and so on.
They should show us how to solve a tough fight with different approaches. One where they use potions, one with bombs, the last one probably with signs or something. Or combine them for maximum effect. I'd be interested in skills, like did they change the skilltree or will there be mutagens again.

Seeing as they never can seem to cut a break from people being dicks and "leaking" content they should just scrap everything and constantly post videos with Marcin Iwiński mooning with the Braveheart theme in the background saying "We're not falling for this again!"

If last year is anything to go by, rather little new will be released at either Gamescom and/or PAX. Also as they are all really close I doubt they have that much new information to reveal. They'll probably release some sort of "kinder egg" video around Halloween and start heavy with the PR around Christmas breaks to get people hyped. Then we will obviously get a small erotic tease video with either Dandelion or Geralt with some random whore around Valentine... I mean common why not right?

I hope CDPR will not waste any more money for trailers. One additional trailer shortly before release (release trailer) should be enough.

IIRC TES Skyrim (without DLCs/expansions) had exactly TWO official teasers/trailers: an announcement teaser and a gameplay trailer.

Nevertheless they sold millions of copies... ;)
It's not about money.. it's about TIME. Time that can be better spent on polishing/fixing and adding more content to the game before release.:)

Top Bottom