Suggestions on how to fight the current meta SK decks with NR?

+
fartingunicorn;n9127670 said:
I made this thread before the patch XD
SK is still strong but usually it's my own mistake/ bad draws that did me in now. Strenghten QG is a bit of a problem tho but nothing overwhelming like last patch Axemen.

I figured ;) My answer was based on the current meta in case it would be useful for you or for anyone else.

Axemen would be much preferred with current NR than Queensguard. Lot more people are playing Armor NR than they were last patch would would be very strong against Axemen. But with Queensguard they can push you first round and still have easy 30+ point one-card plays in later rounds. Northern Realms is the only faction without any sort of real finisher. So if you go to round 3 against SK with only a couple cards, there's no way you can counter QG, the faction literally has no tools to handle that deck.

Something I have found effective is to use damage cards to get yourself a good lead in round one, pass, and see if your opponent will expend cards to win the round. You should then have a 2 to 3 card advantage and if you can retain that in to the final round. If they pass and let you win the 1st round, then you go all in on the 2nd round.

Not sure if they are meta now, but today i destroyed a tuirseach Axeman deck, he made mistakes for sure, biggest mistake was not to pass as my "win button" was established.

Him: Operator - gave me an Axeman
Me: RF Trebuchet
Him: Put fog on the siege row
Me: redanian Knight (fog kills armor, knight boosts by two and gets armor -> repeat every round)
Him: Blueboy lugos
Me: decoyed him the whale back
Him: killed my RF Trebuchet
Me: played the axeman
Him Played yennefer (with the lightning)
Me: played another trebuchet
Him: axeman
Me: Sile de Tansarvile - spores on his axeman = dead axeman
Him: Next axeman
Me: Blizzard Potion (or whats its name now? the one where you get +3 boost and armor)
Him: Next axeman
Me: Passes

he then played his remaining 3-4 cards and then forfeits after round one because i had 3 cards more + the win at the end of the round.

As he played more and more cards, the whale hit him harder and harde, while boosting the axeman he gave me so foolishly, the knight, as my highest card, took all the fog damage protecting the trebuchet (which also boosted the axeman) and buffed himself by two at the end of every turn of his.
Yennefer helped him ofc, but if wasnt long till the axeman surpassed the knight in strenght and i gave him some extra armor to sustain at least 5 of yens hits while only 4 cars were in play.

There are some important cards you might need in your deck in order to defeat NG or SK without struggle. At least one of: Alzurs thunder, D-Shacks.
Then two very important silver units, Margerita Laux Antille and Dethmold. With those you can first hand deny them the evil Mangonel or Longship attacks when revealing or discarding three cards at once.
D-Bomb and Mardoreme are very nice (at least against NG) because you can kill or degrade their boosted cards. (Hjalmar or Tibor) Scorch might also help against some but was at least for me pretty useless in most situations because my NR Deck and most SK both play for quality instead of quantity. (few strong units instead of many weak)

Regardless what kind of deck you play Dijkstra should be in every NR deck imo. I also use Yennefer lightning and Triss butterfly because they are good alone but combinde hilariously strong... fourth gold is optional, i switch between Philippa and Shani depending on my deck.

You have sort of a finisher in NR.
You can play either Reavers hunters + henselt which is the easy but weaker one, with 33 points.
Or you try for Kaedweni siege + henselt + blue stripes = 36 points.
What worked for me most times was siege sargeant + henselt in round one, then pass, some will pass or waste their finisher to win. Thats ofc vulnerable to either epidemic or scorch. If they let me win, ill play something useless in round two or pass right away to get a card advantage and finish them off with reavers and/or temerian infantry after making them struggle with weather, dethmold and margarita. Dijstra comes a nice surprise in the last turn.

Last edited:
Cardzilla;n9400441 said:
NR can't fight SK or anyone now after the changes. apparently cdpr hates all NR users

I defeated two SK and one mulligan ST with my machine deck yesterday so obviosly nobody had informed me that I can´t fight them... ;)

After doing some matches with an armor deck i think NR keeps its seat of the deck that can beat everything but also can lose horribly to everything.
I actually had the most issues with NR out of 30 matches total i won a single match against NR and lost 5, the others were good with a win/loss ratio of 21:9 in ranked and 16:14 in casual.

I' ve found re-setting cards quite effective agsinst SK. Let them buff only to take them down at the end.

Top Bottom