Suggestions to improve keyboard / mouse driving

+
There are many threads in this forum that discuss various problems with the driving mechanics in this game. Just search for "driving" and you'll see what I mean.

It seems to me like the game was meant to be played with a keyboard and mouse (k/m), with its typical shooter mechanics. And yet, the driving mechanics are not k/m friendly at all! Let's face it, driving (steering, accelerating, decelerating) are analogue actions, but keyboards are mostly digital (excluding these new keyboards with analogue keys). The only analogue input is the mouse. So let's use it as such when driving.
  • Implement an optional "mouse steer", where the keyboard would be used only to accelerate and decelerate. The mouse would no longer control the camera per se but instead control the precise direction the front wheels pointed, and the camera would always point in line with the front wheels (or at a reflected angle if the rear wheels are the ones that turn, or when driving backwards). The camera height would be fixed but could be changed by the [change camera] key. The user would then be free to map the [move left] or [move right] keys (or any other key) to a "free look" action, where the mouse would control the camera as it does while driving under v1.5, and the vehicle would not be able to be steered while performing this action.
  • Instead of coasting and gradually losing speed when the [move forward] or [move backward] key is no longer being pressed, just maintain the current speed. In this sense, the [move forward] and [move backward] keys would tell the game to accelerate / decelerate more, where the longer each key press, the greater the magnitude of the action.
  • As many others have suggested, have separate key bindings for decelerate / brake and reverse. Otherwise, add a forward / reverse toggle key.
  • Implement an optional "auto steer" or "steer assist", where the keyboard would be used to accelerate / decelerate as above, the mouse would control a free look camera as is currently implemented, the vehicle would automatically maintain a center position in a lane, and the [move left] and [move right] keys would be used to change lanes or turn, if one is already in the proper turn lane and a turn is available. While off road, the [move left] and [move right] keys would steer the vehicle as they currently do in v1.5.
  • Implement an auto drive toggle. The AI / programming is clearly already there, as demonstrated by the accurate path-finding on the map and in the game world, and because NPCs and the vehicles themselves already can do this. The destination would be whatever marker on the map is selected. Optionally (because there can be more than one marker selected at one time), implement another type of marker selection that is specific to driving.
These are merely some suggestions. The point is, this game needs better support for driving with a k/m.

Mouse Steer for cars seems very weird to me, I don't think I have seen in any game like that.

I think steering needs to be controlled like - longer the press, higher the steer, high speed -- low steer arc, low speed - high steer arc. that way people will actually slow down when turning. I like the free look with mouse while driving, it increases immersion as you can admire the leather of your backseats while driving.
Brakes need to overhauled. There needs to be a significant difference in stopping or a visual indicator that vehicle will go back now and braking power needs to be improved.

I have very few steering problems, maybe because I have turned the sensitivity down. I tap the button to change lanes and only hold it to go round corners, I also lower my speed to go round right angle corners. Just like real life.

Not sure if a mouse steering is a better solution really. I would suggest that the sensitivity of the WASD for driving is reduced, means that we have to keep pressing A/D to make the car do a full left or right turn, so that with really short touches to the key the steering effect is minimal.

I suggest this thinking at the zig-zag driving on the street while trying to drive straight ahead lol

The way handling works right now is basically a try to make the Keyboard work like pedals and a wheel. The main issue about this is basically the delay on the actions simulating a curve of action/response like pedals and wheel but just pressing a key which only has 2 stats: 0% or 100% no inbetween.

This results in a delay/soft feeling of controls, making the player press the key and hold then having to tap the keys trying to correct the vehicle and on every tap making it even harder cause player has no control of the delay cause is obviusly not comfortable at all (like when you play at 60fps or more and go back to 30fps, the delay you feel at 30fps makes it a lot harder to control) so then the faster the vehicle is, the harder is to control cause you need to tap and correct the car faster, then if you dont have an stable PC that can keep atleast 60fps most of the time, makes it even worse cause it's a mix between the delay of the handling simulating pedals and wheels and the delay of your fps going up and down around the city. That's the main reason why people with 30fps have an absolute horrible experience driving.

About the IA driving your car I don't think we will see anything similar to that, not atleast until the IA NPC Traffic is improved.
The handling on the other side is a pretty easy fix, that doesn't require a lot of time, the scripts and controls are already there, they just need to be properly adjusted and the camera should just have a settings tab for the vehicles to adjust as the player wishes (I talked about this on a post some time ago).

Mouse Steer for cars seems very weird to me, I don't think I have seen in any game like that.
Perhaps not, but it's no different than "steering" V with the mouse. Think about it: as you're walking around in the world and you want to veer right, how do you do it? Do you keep the mouse steady but press the [move right] button, or do you keep pressing [move forward] and move the mouse a little to the right? Using the mouse to steer vehicles would keep the control scheme consistent between controlling V with and without using a vehicle. And, as I mentioned before, it's the only analogue option in a k/m setup.

Having consistent control mechanics creates a more natural feel for the player. For example, how many of you who use a keyboard to play this game map the same keys to move a vehicle each direction than for moving V? I'm guessing most do. What if, when using a controller, you moved V with the left analogue stick, but when in a vehicle you had to use the face buttons to move? Would that feel right? That's how driving with a keyboard currently feels to me. Instead, I want to use the same input scheme to drive a vehicle as I do walking around in the world.

Finally, keep in mind that I'm suggesting all this be implemented as optional mechanics, so that if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.

Perhaps not, but it's no different than "steering" V with the mouse. Think about it: as you're walking around in the world and you want to veer right, how do you do it? Do you keep the mouse steady but press the [move right] button, or do you keep pressing [move forward] and move the mouse a little to the right? Using the mouse to steer vehicles would keep the control scheme consistent between controlling V with and without using a vehicle. And, as I mentioned before, it's the only analogue option in a k/m setup.

Having consistent control mechanics creates a more natural feel for the player. For example, how many of you who use a keyboard to play this game map the same keys to move a vehicle each direction than for moving V? I'm guessing most do. What if, when using a controller, you moved V with the left analogue stick, but when in a vehicle you had to use the face buttons to move? Would that feel right? That's how driving with a keyboard currently feels to me. Instead, I want to use the same input scheme to drive a vehicle as I do walking around in the world.

Finally, keep in mind that I'm suggesting all this be implemented as optional mechanics, so that if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.
I just feel like this is an issue of migrating from Controller to KB/M. It can work as an optional method but most people won't like to divide the movement controls between mouse and keyboard because free look while driving has to be mapped somewhere, and free look with keyboard buttons won't work. WASD for vehicles have become a standard. Horses in Witcher 3 / rdr2 have mouse control as Horses act as an extension to free movement with higher speed. Vehicles are different, much much higher speed and you don't want to them turn at a sudden when you just wanted to have a quick look at the sidewalk or were just looking behind. Horses have had mouse movements but still keep wasd for finer controls and tighter turns.

So, I feel like this idea can work as an optional thing but seems like a lot of unnecessary effort for adding something that ain't all in demand. Also people have kinda accepted in general that if you want a better driving experience, be it a horse or a quadra. controller is better.

I do following to the r6//config//inputUserMappings.xml

1) find the line " <mapping name="Acceleration_Axis" type="Axis" > ".
2) add after "IK_W" line, as next line " <button id="IK_LShift" val="0.05" overridableUI="vehicleAccelerate"/> ".

Now if you hold shift the Caliburn would hold ~60 mph, Aerondight ~50 mph. You can adjust the number 0.05 to any or set any other key and the car would hold the required speed. I can't play without it at all anymore.

Top Bottom