Suggestions

+
Did you ask the Royal Huntsman in Act I how many orens he gets for a drowner? Witchers seem to be paid less than other bounty hunters; I'm not sure why.

Adrys said:
Firts of all, just want to say hello to all. And now ...I think it is very bad that The Witcher gets so small amounts of money for those quests (Killing monsters etc).I think he should get much more money for doing those hard things !May it be included in Enchanced Edition? Cause in real life, killing those beasts would cost much more money ... if you compare it with costs of books for example ...
What would the benefit be of more money? It would just make the game easier, and reduce the amount of exploring you have to do.

SimonBrooke said:
What would the benefit be of more money? It would just make the game easier, and reduce the amount of exploring you have to do.
It would make the game easier, but for me -- I can't speak for the OP -- it's bad enough that people insult witchers and shun them, but paying them a pittance for slaying monsters seems like even more of an outrage. Even if people don't like their profession, they can at least compensate them like the competent professionals they are. Nobody likes lawyers, but people pay them big bucks to wrestle with arcane bits of the law, and that gives them some sense of being of value, even if they have to listen to lawyer jokes. :) I guess what I'm saying is that I think people should value witchers more highly, and if they won't do it with such important things as courtesy and gratitude, they can at least give them plenty of money.

STGhost said:
I guess Geralt should become a lawyer then....for Monsters :)
*chuckle* Good one! I think, though, that he's more of an action guy than a word guy, and lawyers are all about words. :)

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
It would make the game easier, but for me -- I can't speak for the OP -- it's bad enough that people insult witchers and shun them, but paying them a pittance for slaying monsters seems like even more of an outrage.
I think you're misunderstanding. Medieval peasants had scarcely any money. In the twelth century, in Scotland, many large and successful estates paid a rent of half a merk or a merk - for a year. There are even farms who's annual rent was a farthing - one six-hundred and fourtieth of a merk. If your year's rent is one six hundred and fortieth of an oren, what do you pay a Witcher? What surprises me is not how little he's paid, but how much.(for those who don't know, there were thirteen shillings and fourpence - 160 pennies - in a merk Scots. It was a 50% silver alloy coin, not a gold one. A gold coin would be worth a lot more).

SimonBrooke said:
I think you're misunderstanding. Medieval peasants had scarcely any money. In the twelth century, in Scotland, many large and successful estates paid a rent of half a merk or a merk - for a year. There are even farms who's annual rent was a farthing - one six-hundred and fourtieth of a merk. If your year's rent is one six hundred and fortieth of an oren, what do you pay a Witcher? What surprises me is not how little he's paid, but how much.(for those who don't know, there were thirteen shillings and fourpence - 160 pennies - in a merk Scots. It was a 50% silver alloy coin, not a gold one. A gold coin would be worth a lot more).
Everything you say is completely true, for the real medieval period for the real Europe. I'm going by in-game information to figure out what's normal for this world. A loaf of bread costs five orens. A night at the inn costs five orens. A bottle of bad booze costs 20. A fish costs 10, unless you want it gutted, in which case it's 20. Mikul tells Geralt that a month's pay for a low-level guard is 200 orens. Even low-level poker players dice for 5 - 20 orens per game. Common fist fighters in the taverns wager 10 or 20 orens on a single fight without blinking. Either the people in the game world have a lot more money than they did in the real medieval period, or an oren isn't worth very much, possibly both.The Royal Huntsman tells Geralt that he gets 80 orens per drowner, and Geralt wipes out hordes of them for not much more than that.Plus, Geralt isn't hired by peasants all that often -- Odo, Leuvaarden and Brogg are all merchants who are doing quite well. Kalkstein seems to be doing very well; he may be independently wealthy. The brickmakers seem poor, but then, Vaska doesn't pay him, anyway. :)If poor people can play dice for 10 orens a game, then it seems to me that the wealthy should be able to pay more than 200 orens for killing eight drowners.

I don't know where exaclty I found it but in vol 1 or 2 of the shortstories it's mentioned that witchers don't get much money for the work they achieve. Though it's a job others refuse to do or are afraid to do, they don't appreciate the witchers work. I think it has lot to do with their antipathy for non humans and mutants.btw how to save a lot of Orens ;)
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Cheapskate%27s_Guide

Slyloki said:
All I can say is thank the gods for decimal currency.. :)
Uh, Slyloki, where are you from, where they use decimal currency? Because if you're from the US, I'll just point out that we use feet (12 inches per), gallons (four quarts per), and Fahrenheit (freezing is 32, boiling is 212), whereas the Europeans use meters, liters, and Celsius, so we have no cause to be throwing stones on the basis of using a decimal system!

PetraSilie said:
I don't know where exaclty I found it but in vol 1 or 2 of the shortstories it's mentioned that witchers don't get much money for the work they achieve. Though it's a job others refuse to do or are afraid to do, they don't appreciate the witchers work. I think it has lot to do with their antipathy for non humans and mutants.
Very much as it is in the real world- food servers, janitors, migrant farm workers- very physical work, very low pay. For me, it's one of the things that give The Witcher such a realistic feeling. It can be frustrating at times, but all in all, I think it was a good choice to make funds so hard to come by and hold onto. It's taken me out of my "RPG comfort zone" (I tend to "farm" heavily and buy the best armor and weapons, and lots of potions) and forced me to approach the game from an entirely different angle. :eek: I've said it before- I think that this game will make me a better gamer in general. It seems like the financial situation gets easier by about the middle of chapter 3. By chapter 4, I'm usually financially secure.

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
All I can say is thank the gods for decimal currency.. :)
Uh, Slyloki, where are you from, where they use decimal currency? Because if you're from the US, I'll just point out that we use feet (12 inches per), gallons (four quarts per), and Fahrenheit (freezing is 32, boiling is 212), whereas the Europeans use meters, liters, and Celsius, so we have no cause to be throwing stones on the basis of using a decimal system!
You misunderstood me in 2 ways... Currency and measurements are different animals, Even in the USA you use decimal currency, whereas Simons example of Shillings etc is not decimal... I am an Aussie and was born in the year they introduced decimal currency here, and all other measures are mostly in decimal too, Imperial measurements are supposedly history, but there's still old farts that insist on it... Personally I hate it, I'm decimal all the way...My point was that I am glad his example of shillings and groats is no longer used... (pre 1966 we had it here in Aus too)

Slyloki said:
You misunderstood me in 2 ways...
No, Slyloki, I understood you; you're misunderstanding what I meant. It's not important enough to go into, though, so let's just drop it.

Good idea because it's very off topic ;)@XantiaI know this urge of collecting items and always the best of them. I used to have countless "mule chars" to store my items. And then The Witcher came and offerd absolutely no item hunting ambition. Surprisingly I didn't miss farming in the game because there are plenty of alternatives to become a successful Witcher without overburdened-with-stats equipment.

Corylea said:
No, Slyloki, I understood you; you're misunderstanding what I meant. It's not important enough to go into, though, so let's just drop it.
Just readread your post and got it.. :beer:My appologies...

Top Bottom