Sui Generis

+
Sui Generis

I've been following the development Sui Generis for over a year now. The game is still in a pre-alpha state but here is a video showing some gameplay:

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=BuOzmyED5qA&hd=1[/video]

Yes, they realize the running animation looks a bit off and animations are still a work in progress. All movement in the game is physics-driven so it's a bit more complicated than just simply tweaking a predefined animation (they have to actually make the muscles/skeleton of a character work appropriately for what they're interacting with).

It was interesting seeing the character trip over a chair. Characters can also trip over each other and weapons can catch on things too. In a previous video they showed a player using a halberd to hook behind someone's leg, causing them to fall over. I also liked how the guards didn't attack when she put on an appropriate uniform from one of the guards she killed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been following this game since original crowd funding . The game always looked revolutionary . They are using our funds to gather their team at one place , they are using their own money to develop it . As far as I know it's going to be big budget game . Looking forward to it .

dude tihs is a real new generation game!!
Despise Graphics...Options, playability and originality must be the real new generation games!!!

Following since now, txs for share

Yes, I agree. Much of what they are doing is very innovative and revolutionary in regards to gaming. However, they aren't making a big budget game since they have very limited funds and a small team. The money earned from crowdfunding is barely enough to cover their living expenses until the game is released. But if you were implying that it's going to be a high quality game then yes, I believe you are correct :)

The Bare Mettle team has stressed many times that they care very much about the fidelity of Sui Generis. They have all dedicated their lives to creating the game (quitting their day jobs and relocating to save money on living expenses - they all live in the studio they work in). Sui Generis is more than just a game to Bare Mettle, it's a dream that they are making come true. They also plan to keep working on the game post release with free updates.

judas82 said:
dude tihs is a real new generation game!!
Despise Graphics...Options, playability and originality must be the real new generation games!!!

Following since now, txs for share

You're welcome! If you'd like to know more about the game there is a ton of information about it on the official forums for the game. Or if you have any specific questions I will answer them to the best of my ability.

The physics-driven combat is impressive but also the roleplaying aspects will be equally impressive (if they are able to achieve their goals). They plan on making NPCs aware of their surroundings and they're supposed to behave much like a real person would. They are also making events in the world occur regardless of whether or not your character is present. True, actual dynamic events instead of just 100% scripted events that are triggered by your character (which, sadly, is how most games do it). NPC's will have their own goals/agendas instead of just being mindless idiots with the sole purpose of being there for you to talk to.

Yea, I saw this game when they had their Kickstarter going. They seem to have some really cool ideas.

Game shows genuine promise. Forgive the shameless plug, but I put together a brief video pimping the game last year (feel free to check it out):

Can't wait to play this one - you can find more information on the game here:

http://www.baremettle.com/sg/home/

Last edited:
HomemComH said:
Combat still looks like drunk people flailing, but the tech is impressive.

I agree that the combat animations don't look as smooth as motion-captured static animations would. However, I'd prefer slightly goofy looking animation, which is dynamic and physics-driven, instead of seeing the same few static motion-captured animations in combat over and over and over like in nearly every other game. When you have predefined static animations combat becomes predictable and repetitive (you have a very limited set of "moves"). With physics-driven combat every fight is unique since you are not limited by a specific set of static animations.

Madoc (the project lead) made this post today in regard to the overwhelming amount of comments people made about the running animation looking off:

Given how many people got hung up on the running I put my mind to it and had an idea which with some tweaks led to a very noticeable improvement. We however found that a bit of lean was necessary or the character looked like they were jogging too fast rather than running and about to fall backwards. We did make the lean more extreme during accelleration, neat idea.

We're going to release a quick video showing the improvement and also explaining the controls clearly.

And as promised the new video was released. It also explains a bit about how the combat controls work since some people weren't clear about how it functions:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K1DtyGAuB0&vq=hd1080[/media]

ReptilePZ said:
Still looks a bit off. Good that they're paying attention to feedback though.

Agreed, still not perfect but a pretty significant improvement. I think what is mostly off is the head and hip movement isn't quite reactive enough so it appears to be puppet-like or too stiff. However, in its current state it is good enough that I wouldn't find it distracting while playing. And I'm sure they'll continue to keep tweaking things and making further improvements :)

Wow, people are making a big deal about nudity in the game. Really? She took the clothes off of the soldier to wear as a disguise and it left the corpse naked on the ground. This is a reasonable scenario. I don't see why people must always make a big deal about silly things.

freakie1one said:
Wow, people are making a big deal about nudity in the game. Really? She took the clothes off of the soldier to wear as a disguise and it left the corpse naked on the ground. This is a reasonable scenario. I don't see why people must always make a big deal about silly things.
Yep I agree if a video game has nudity or racist stuff in it and it offends you then don't purchase it and look for something else same thing as movies I don't understand this.

America actually makes a big scene toward nudity while they let 13 year old kids play violent video games but Europe likes the nudity stuff while violence is more hated LOL. That is what I have learned through out the years especially traveling to other states in America and vacationing for 8 months in Europe.

Well, the combat alpha was released for Sui Generis about a week ago and I've been playing it any free time I get. It's amazing and a lot of fun! It also looks and runs very well (max settings and still getting 100+ FPS). I would post up some footage I've recorded but it's still under NDA. As soon as they remove the NDA I'll be updating this thread though :)

Looking forward to it, I'm patient though (relatively speaking for a gamer :p), but when its released I hope it becomes a seminal game.

They keep stressing that the most important aspects of Sui Generis are the role playing aspects. However, the combat alone is good enough that it could be a standalone game! The physics and dynamic nature of the combat make every single fight unique. In one fight I was using a sword and shield while my opponent was using a one handed ax. I ended up pinning the enemy's ax arm against a wall and proceeded to use overhand strikes to pummel the enemy in the face. It looked hilarious!

Last edited:
Top Bottom