Sukrus for SK - Seriously CDPR?

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Amazing stream and super excited about the new expansion that is coming. But as always, my constant fear that with any new content SK getting stronger and stronger is again proved valid. Of all the cards that you revealed, the strongest and the most OP card is Sukrus and it shares dual with SK. Are you serious? Are you not seeing what you are doing here? Your blatant love for SK is reaching a astonishing level. I was actually disgusted when that card was shown and told to be SK dual one. Even SK fans would have squirmed when you said Sukrus is for SK. They would have been concerned about the possibility of increasing hate towards SK.

I am sure that Sukrus would make Veteran and Jutta be played for 8 points and 12 points for 5 provisions and 8 provisions (you are raising the bar for SK? seriously? SK was getting 7 points for 5 and now, 8 points for 5 provisions? and 12 points for 8 provisions?). And not just sudden burst of points, but he can also be an Engine. Also, I guess that even Knut's damage will not be dealt to the ally, but he would still be able to do damage to enemy if the ally is near Sukrus. All this for just 10 provisions bringing 6 point body? How many cards would SK have which if-not-locked will win them the game?

Your love and favorism towards SK is extremely disappointing and making players who love other faction have a bad taste playing Gwent. My frequency of playing Gwent has reduced a lot (and I have even missed Daily Rewards quite a few times recently) due to this unbalanced state of the game. I was hoping you would do something to balance the game and here you are, showing another super strong super broken card and proudly saying that it is an SK dual card.

For your own sake and for Gwent's sake, please lose your love towards SK and keep all factions balanced and equal. Provision to Power should be roughly the same for all factions (of course taking damageVsBoost, orderVsDeploy, engineVsControlVsTempo and all other factors) even though the means vary. I know it is too early to judge. I would wait till I read the full patch notes and decide, but if you leave the game in its current unbalanced broken state, making one faction obviously obscenely stronger than others, you may very slowly lose loyal players.

I think sukrus is fine if they bring up the other factions too. SK feels fun to play and I like having cards that allow units to stick and do stuff rather than just have everything removed so easily.
So yes , SK is in a good place, so I hope this is the direction they go with other factions

DRK3

Forum veteran
As soon as i saw Sukrus i knew complaints about him were coming (and probably from rrc :shrug:)

But i saw him as a lesser Avallach, or at least a variant of Immunity. You can kill Immune units with row effects or random effects. With Sukrus, you can kill the "protected unit", but only if it's not damage based.

But i was considering damage in a traditional situation, where the opponent is the one responsible... but since SK has the self damage archetype, it really can be problematic, like some of the examples rrc mentioned i hadnt even thought about. I guess he'll be one of those engines you must instantly counter, like Ge'els or Vysogotta.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
As soon as i saw Sukrus i knew complaints about him were coming (and probably from rrc :shrug:).
Ha ha! Funnily enough, my first thought was "I think I just heard the sound of rrc's head explode".

Must admit, at first impression, it really does sound like a very dangerous tool in the hands of the already over-efficient Skellige self-wound archetype.

Hey, at least it isn't anywhere near as bad as the game-breaking Sheldon Skaggs ...

Ignoring the problem of the card's effect even existing in SK, 6 strength is way too much. The only thing that can shut him down is a Lock, effectively. Keep in mind Sukrus would be run along with Priests and Ships, which also tend to require Locks. NR tends to run only one Lock at most and ST, two, though NR does have Vincent to help bring it down.

Ge'els, John Natalis and Vysogotta are similarly cards that can run away with the game if left unattended, but all three of those are row-locked and have less strength. (Vysogotta is even vulnerable to Sweers)

I really have no idea what Gwent team is thinking last couple of months.

As soon as i saw Sukrus i knew complaints about him were coming
Me too, I even mentioned it in the "new faction" thread. And honestly, when that card was revealed, I immediately saw horror scenarios of Sukrus protecting some card while Priest boosts the hell out of it. I hope it won't work that way. If it does, the provision cost is way too low and should be up with Zoltan. I don't think 6 str is too high. A card that is taken out immediately wouldn't make much sense as a protection card.

I'll wait and see, but if it turns out my horror scenario becomes reality, I'll be the first to propose 15 provisions.

• RED Point
I wish all factions had some sort of protector class. I really like Gwent when both sides are hitting large point totals.
What if ST had a trap that would switch places with a targetted unit.
NG could have some sort of diplomat perhaps that would mitigate damage ..
Etc. These ideas don't have to be final implementation, but I'd rather both sides hit giant point finales at the end and lose rather than have my opponent destroy everything and win through pure control. I still think units are too fragile and need either more base strength or armour.. but of course this goes back to fundamental reworks ...
Not that I think the game is in a bad state,but these are suggestions. I really like how SK is as a class.. cool thematic units that play off each other and their leaders.

Breli

Forum regular
I guess he'll be one of those engines you must instantly counter, like Ge'els or Vysogotta.

Yeah. But how? How many cards do 6 damage out of hand?

And honestly, when that card was revealed, I immediately saw horror scenarios of Sukrus protecting some card while Priest boosts the hell out of it. I hope it won't work that way.

What is there to hope for? Just imagine Priest -> Blueboy Lugos -> Sukrus. There is your four point boost engine that is basically indestructible. Or Priest -> Ship -> Sukrus. Or, and this is really funny, Priest -> Skull -> Sukrus.

I don't think 6 str is too high.

Correct. It is still killable by Professional. Lets make it strength 7, right?

NR tends to run only one Lock at most and ST, two, though NR does have Vincent to help bring it down.

Exactly. But locking Sukrus automatically means that the Priests live. Or Olaf or any other overpowered menace. Plus they will run Pellar or something. No no! What am I thinking! Not pellar. Maybe the next unit SK gets is a "Cultist Purifier": Immune, 7P Body, Purify one unit a turn, 7P ... yeah. That would make sense.

Movement might be the best option. But how many decks outside ST have even access to it? And it doesn't really solve the problem.

I really have no idea what Gwent team is thinking last couple of months.

Me neither. Maybe it is because the lead developer is such a big SK fan. I don't know. I really like many SK cards and their abilities. But it really hurts the game. I don't even want to play that myself.

Last edited:
Correct. It is still killable by Professional. Lets make it strength 7, right?
It's a protective card. Of course it should not be taken out immediately. It should be able to protect something before taken out. And what I hope for is that the protected card doesn't trigger any abilities of the SK cards. Like Priest not boosting since there's no damage done, etc.

You are already assuming things, that we don't know yet. In 9 days, we can evaluate that card. And then the big crying can start. But why wasting energy right now, before knowing?

You are already assuming things, that we don't know yet. In 9 days, we can evaluate that card. And then the big crying can start. But why wasting energy right now, before knowing?

Fair point. However, I assume this guy (time index 20:25) knows what he is talking about since he has already played the expansion ... or has intimate knowledge about the mechanics at least.

But you are right. Lets wait and see.

Last edited:
Fair point. However, I assume this guy (time index 20:25) knows what he is talking about since he has already played the expansion ... or has intimate knowledge about the mechanics at least.
Yep, if he's talking about experiences he has from playing the card, then it really is the horror scenario I feared.
A rather cheap, 20 prov. +2 engine without the downside of Priest. How many cards go +2 as long as they aren't stopped? From my mind I can only think of ST, two Dryad Matrons. Or maybe Yrpen Zigrin, +3, but only if alone on the board.

I still hope they are wrong and the abilities aren't triggered!

For your own sake and for Gwent's sake, please lose your love towards SK and keep all factions balanced and equal.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. Sukrus for Skellige was actually my main takeaway from the stream. There we go I thought. Ofcourse the main reveal for a multi faction card was ofcourse for Skellige.

Overpowered Svalblod Priest already, but now with Sukrus. How wonderful. Now Svalblod Priest will not only be the biggest unit on the board at the end of the round, but any damage he does will be canceled as well. Playing him on self wound benefit units will now be optional to Sukrus instead. With 6 points on the board, Skellige get yet another rather big unit. Svalblod Priest is already difficult to remove, but now you are stuck with two difficult choices to remove instead.

The ability of Sukrus would have fitted the needs of Northern Realms better..

Last edited:
I am sure that Sukrus would make Veteran and Jutta be played for 8 points and 12 points for 5 provisions and 8 provisions (you are raising the bar for SK? seriously? SK was getting 7 points for 5 and now, 8 points for 5 provisions? and 12 points for 8 provisions?).

This card really looks scary and I fear that you are right.
What is there to hope for? Just imagine Priest -> Blueboy Lugos -> Sukrus. There is your four point boost engine that is basically indestructible. Or Priest -> Ship -> Sukrus. Or, and this is really funny, Priest -> Skull -> Sukrus.

I guess Sukrus wont work with Blueboy and Skulls because these cards have to receive damage to trigger. Skull even has a deathwish if I´m right. At least that´s what I hope.

This is how selfwounding should work: you only get the benefit if your unit was actually wounded. If someone prevents the damage, well no cookies :shrug:.

But I also think that Prophet Lebioda will be op in NR. But you can argue that it is still NR right?

My frequency of playing Gwent has reduced a lot

Same for me.. I can't always agree with the points you are raising, but I am fully with you here. Great stream, but left the same bitter taste for apparent reason.

• RED Point

DRK3

Forum veteran
I see a lot of people here worried about the Sukrus + Svalblod Priest combo (with something between them ofc) being OP, but i dont think that will be the case, or at least, it wont be more powerful than the possible combos that already exist.

I have a Svalblod deck that i really like, that doesnt use Olaf, Knut, Vildkaarl and those big units. Instead it uses Svalblod Priests on 6pt units like Blueboy Lugos and Olgierd, and Sukrus generates the same amount of pt.s as those 2 units.

There's also Flaminica and Yoanna, to heal units damaged by the priests. If left unattended, because she was underestimated, i've had Yoanna provide me over 30pts on a single round.

I still think Sukrus will work better with the cards rrc mentioned in the original post, like Jutta and Veteran.

And for those wishing NR had a card like this, i dont know if it's dual faction, but the card 'Prophet Lebioda' revealed yesterday gives shields to any units next to him, so pray that he's dual faction with NR.

And for those wishing NR had a card like this, i dont know if it's dual faction, but the card 'Prophet Lebioda' revealed yesterday gives shields to any units next to him, so pray that he's dual faction with NR.

Honestly I´m more concerned with Lebioda than with Sukrus but I think both will be too strong in their secondary faction (NR, SK). If you can´t remove Lebioda you are going to lose because you can´t deal with all these shielded engines. And then there is Renew. Sukrus looks problematic because of the extra tempo it can provide and Skellige already has great tempo. So play Sukrus into Jutta for 18 points in round 2 and bleed your opponent dry.
I know that we will have to wait till the expansion comes out but right now it feels scary. Like cards similar to Sihil or Imlerith (Beta) that could totaly screw you. Lebioda should at last have a condition like giving shields only to humans or something like this.

• RED Point
Sukrus does indeed seems very strong. And as said before, 6 power and no row lock is very high imo.
I can already see an Artis/Sukrus combo also. Just play all your cards next to Sukrus to get full power while the ennemy gets 1/2 on each card...
It wouldn't work with everything though if the description is correct. It shouldn't work with Knut or protector for example, nor in combo with blueboy. But just Jutta, Veteran and Svalblod Priest could get great value. Svalblod Butcher and Spearmaiden could be 6-7 points for 4 provisions.
I'm not sure self damage will be the main deck we see him in but he does look very dangerous.

Then again, Lebioda is as good for NR. Maybe each faction will get some 6 power engine like them? Wonder what the others would be.
MO: auto-consumet?
ST: auto-movement?

I don't understand why they gave Sukrus to Skellige.

As if SK winning the faction challenge wasn't enough!

Top Bottom