Sukrus for SK - Seriously CDPR?

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
@Raziel_888 Hadnt thought about that combo with Artis.

I've tried to make Artis work, since he's probably the only gold from SK Crimson Curse that didnt got popular (only saw him once played by someone else), but its amazing how players immediately shut him down, clearly because they fear more what they dont know than what they know and its OP, but at least they know what to expect.

Agreed.
Personally I love Artis. With self-wound or berserk it works fine (special mention to vildkaarl or olaf), you have quite a lot of heal in SK and it makes all the oponent's cards easy to kill with small bronzes.
Combo with madman lugos or even the "meh" boar are pretty nice.
All right, I'm gonna go back to my SK deck XD

DRK3

Forum veteran
@Raziel_888 goin a bit offtopic here, but i feel Artis arrived a bit too late.

He would be great against big monsters, which didnt even have much control or locks, but he was released exactly when big monsters lost popularity. Only managed to have one game against big monsters, where Artis wasnt countered, and it was an easy win R3.

But on current meta he's terrible, you would probably be helping all the "standard Svalblods", as if they needed more help...

Sick and tired of this faction and all the new problems it creates every season. If I could choose not to queue into Skellige on ranked I would sign it in a heartbeat and come back to Gwent. I don't forget that Dettlaff was nerfed to the ground at the speed of light they didn't even wait for end of the season but Skellige is running rampage months on end, so yeah... the blatant favoritism for this faction is unreal.

Gyg

Forum regular
Self-wounding should require allied unit to be damaged - if the damage is prevented, the other effect should not trigger. So it would make Sukrus unplayable in self wounding archetype but could be used in other ones.

I don't understand why they gave Sukrus to Skellige.

As if SK winning the faction challenge wasn't enough!

NG won the faction challenge and SK only placed 3rd. Sukrus is a Skelligen Mercenary originated from clan Tuirseach, and is currently working and living in Novigrad while Hammond is a Slaver who presumably originated from clan Dimun. Hammond even controls the half of Faroe Island. Why give them to Skellige you say? Lore and synergy.

rrc

Forum veteran
Fearing the backlash I might get for whining too much and having been tired/ashamed of creating so many SK hate threads/posts, I didn't login to the forum for a week. I am surprised that I didn't get as much backlash as I expected and glad that many people are as scared as I am about this card.

We will have to wait before judging about this card (or any other card that were revealed), but I was shocked and disgusted when this card was shown. I couldn't control myself and created this thread. I will wait for the other dual faction cards (NG has got 0 till now and MO has got only 1) before coming up with the final verdict.

With NR, SK and ST dual cards all revealed, NR is going to be INSANE. People are again going to go with (almost)-unit-less full control meta to handle NR. Both the Saint and the Nathenial are insanely powerful (even though NR got a sh**y bronze which no one will play), but they had got two insanely powerful Gold cards which is what matters. SK had got Sukrus who is insane, but the other two cards are not as impressive or as deadly as Sukrus. ST got the worst deal of all, with a 5 for 5 bronze and yet another you-need-5-x-of-something-to-break-even gold. The other tutor (and even the bronze) are apparently good according to SirPumkin and I trust him.

I will wait to read the full patch notes and may create another whining thread about how new cards power creep other existing cards and how it is unhealthy for the game. CC power crept all the existing cards by increasing the P-T-P ratio for lower bronzes and Novigrad seems to power creep even more.

Thanks everyone for your support!

Fun Fact: When SirPumpkn reviewed the cards, his voice actually broke when he was reviewing the ST dual gold card which expects 5 special cards to have been played to break even. It was funny and sad at the same time.

ST got the worst deal of all, with a 5 for 5 bronze and yet another you-need-5-x-of-something-to-break-even gold. The other tutor (and even the bronze) are apparently good according to SirPumkin and I trust him.

When Cleavers muscle was revealed I thought that it is really bad. The shield doesn´t seem usefull cause it is not an enginge and most people will ignore it. Pumpkin stated that it will be very strong and that he will play it in many ST decks. I guess in combination with novigradian justice it can truely shine and make dwarven decks more consistant. We´ll have to wait and see for ourselves but the ST cards might not be that bad just unspectacular. Except Harald who could be really bad if you have to play him in round 1 or 2.

I´m excited to see the dual faction cards for Monsters (more vampires please) and NG.

So, I did a few tests, but I spare you the details. Instead, I give you an example that showcases how it works.

Svalblod Priest - Blueboy Lugos - Sukrus

Blueboy is protected against any damage. That includes damage done by Priest. Svalblod Priest boosts by two after having triggered damaging (although the damage is nullified by Sukrus, the actual process takes place, incl. sound effects, etc.). Blueboy is NOT triggering its ability. So the order of events is Svalblod Priest -> Sukrus -> Blueboy Lugos

This still is very powerful, but since you can't make use of Lugos, the 15 provisions would be too much. I'd go for a 12. Sukrus is currently at 10p which makes it too easy to put him into any SK deck, without sacrificing that much.

rrc

Forum veteran
So, I did a few tests, but I spare you the details. Instead, I give you an example that showcases how it works.

Svalblod Priest - Blueboy Lugos - Sukrus

Blueboy is protected against any damage. That includes damage done by Priest. Svalblod Priest boosts by two after having triggered damaging (although the damage is nullified by Sukrus, the actual process takes place, incl. sound effects, etc.). Blueboy is NOT triggering its ability. So the order of events is Svalblod Priest -> Sukrus -> Blueboy Lugos

This still is very powerful, but since you can't make use of Lugos, the 15 provisions would be too much. I'd go for a 12. Sukrus is currently at 10p which makes it too easy to put him into any SK deck, without sacrificing that much.
Thanks a lot @tulamide for taking time to update us here. If damage effects get triggered and Sukurs still prevents the damage, Sukrus+FreakShow = 0 points on enemy board, which is far FAR worse than Priest. But as you told, it is still very powerful and cheap for 10 provisions having 6 point body.

Did you try him with Jutta and Veteran? I think that is how you should use Sukrus to get instant burst of points, but it was only me guessing.

Thanks a lot @tulamide for taking time to update us here. If damage effects get triggered and Sukurs still prevents the damage, Sukrus+FreakShow = 0 points on enemy board, which is far FAR worse than Priest. But as you told, it is still very powerful and cheap for 10 provisions having 6 point body.

Did you try him with Jutta and Veteran? I think that is how you should use Sukrus to get instant burst of points, but it was only me guessing.
Every damage is nullified by Sukrus. That includes opponent cards, your own cards and self-inflicted damage. So, Jutta and Veteran are playing out at 12, resp. 8 strength

I did not test Sukrus within SY, so I can't say much about that card's value there. For SK it's another powerful toy.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, forgot to come here, but i tried the stuff you mentioned about Sukrus even before the update, and it works great (or terribly, from another point of view...)
Thanks Sukrus.jpg

If comparing this strategy with the old factions, it may be considered OP, but against SY, this is very tame compared to the stuff they available, you should consider redirecting your hatred into creating 'anti-SY' threads now!

Btw Longships next to sukrus do damage but suffer none. But Yoanna is even better than Sukrus in this deck, only downside is she's easier to remove.

Novigrad being out for a while now, I rarely see Sukrus being played and when he does make an appearance, he's rarely a (bigger) threat. In theory, he looked like a card that would ascend Skellige even further, but in practice that doesn't seem to be the case.

• RED Point
Novigrad being out for a while now, I rarely see Sukrus being played ...

You are right. However, I think he simply hasn't been explored thoroughly so far ... he is bound to show up in nasty combos sooner or later.

• RED Point
Top Bottom