Summoned Units do not Trigger Their Deploy Ability (e.g. Vilgefortz)

+
His summoning ability seems not to trigger the ability of the card it summons. I sacrificed a unit to play Dandelion and was quite perplexed to realize that all I've accomplished is to summon a 4 power card to Vilgefortz' row without drawing/playing an aditional card as Dandelion would grant. In this state Vilgefortz is actually more useful to destroy an enemies unit - because the card your opponent gets summoned does also not trigger and I could feel how perplexed my opponent was when he realized this lol.

I hope this is a bug and not works as designed? Otherwise summoning cards are reduced to put points on the table and nothing much more, which would be a pitty.

same happened to me... but.... I think maybe Dandelion could be bugged, not vilgefortz.

right now... I alt+tab to write this and my game is tilted after I played Dandelion via joachim... Dandelion give me a card but I cant play anything now! :/

Summon is not considered played and as such doesn't trigger the deploy ability of the summoned unit.

The card description says: "Deploy, Ranged: Destroy an allied unit, then Summon the top unit from your deck to a random allied row".

Problem with this is, if I pull Spotter or whatever and even if they hit Melee... row ability still does not trigger.

Is this intentional (a.k.a. stupid) or a bug?

It actually says in the tooltip for summoning that it does not count as being played as I just noticed yesterday lol.

But still... I'm playing homecoming every evening since launch and I could get my head around all the new changes, handlimit, 2 rows, 2 cards and so on, except for how summoning works - it just feels plain wrong!

Maybe I am too spoiled by MTG but a cards ability ought to resolve when it comes into play, which means when it is put on the board or specifically state that it has to be played from hand for it's ability to resolve. That's how reviving a unit from the graveyard works or creating a card. But the way summoning works is as if the text got erased first and then the card is put on the board, thus reducing the value of the card to it's strength points. Why the Devs chose to implement it this way escapes me, it's counter intuitive and against common sense.

If you summon Jutta with Sigrdrifa's Rite, she keeps her 12 power even though she's the highest unit on the battlefield.

It's working as intended. Summon doesn't count as played and as such doesn't trigger the deploy ability.

It's working as intended. Summon doesn't count as played and as such doesn't trigger the deploy ability.

Wow cool thanks. She's even better than expected. Along with two other cards, sigrdrifa's and mirror, she's potentially a 30 power card during the course of a match. 30 power with 3 cards is insane.

Last edited:
If you summon Tibor you get a 13 power gold with no drawback
It's value gets deminished by the card your opponent summons from the top of it's deck, worst case you pull his Old Speartip and give him a tempo for free. That's why I don't like Tibor, it's too random unless you put some useless card on top of the opponents library.

[...] That's why I don't like Tibor, it's too random unless you put some useless card on top of the opponents library.

Or you can mill your opponent, which is apparently possible. Or, even easier, just play Ihuarraquax, summoning Tibor without triggering his deploy ability (also relevant to this thread).

It's value gets deminished by the card your opponent summons from the top of it's deck, worst case you pull his Old Speartip and give him a tempo for free. That's why I don't like Tibor, it's too random unless you put some useless card on top of the opponents library.

I think you misunderstood me. If you trigger Vilgeforts to get Tibor then Tibor´s deploy ability won´t trigger since he´s summoned. Could also use Albrich to put Tibor on top of the deck. Point is if youre using Vilgeforts expecting to get value from deploy effects youre doing it wrong.

Are deploy effects activated for deck summoning in Gwent HC or not?

I noticed summoning units with that 13 power nilfgaard (Tibor I think) does not trigger the deploy abilities, but with Marching Orders or Joachim deploy abilities trigger perfectly. All the 3 cards I mentioned read 'play .... card from deck'.

Is it because Tibor summons it in my turn and opponent doesn't get chance to activate the deploy effect? I am curious to know how Vilgefortz works in this (haven't seen him in game yet). Also, will royal decree or summoning circle trigger the deploy ability of the unit summonned?

Any explanation greatly appreciated.

Deploys are only activated if you "play" a card, not "summon" it. Notice how Eis Tuisearch says "Play a warrior from your graveyard" and Sigrdrifa says "Summon a warrior from your graveyard", that's the difference.

This post is more for the devs.

cards like ihuarraquax and vilgafortz offensive summon a unit for the opposing player, yet the card summoned does not trigger it's 'deploy' ability. the only time the ability seems to trigger for the opponent is for cards that have 'order' or 'zeal', not 'deploy'.

I'm curious if this was an intentional design or a bug because it seems to be very powerful. there is basically no reason to use vilgafortz on own units because of this, (note if you do self vilg the card you summon will still not activate deploy ability) and ihuarraqux-tibor is 17pts with no worries of giving the opponent an ability.

Last edited:
Guys, I hope to don't sound rude, but it's literally written in the description of the effect:
"Deploy: the ability is activated when the card is put in play"
"Summon: [...] (it's not a synonim of "put in play")"

Sorry for the poor translation of the keywords

Top Bottom