Summoned Units do not Trigger Their Deploy Ability (e.g. Vilgefortz)

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
This is actually one of the most disappointing changes they made.

In this thread, Vilgefortz and Tibor were mentioned a lot, but unfortunately there's a lot more units, specially golds, that summon or transform other units and might seem useful, but when you realize they only bring the points (sometimes not even that) and not the effect, you wonder why the hell would you need that.

At the top of my mind, i can recall this new version of Dudu (no longer imitates points), Letho Kingslayer and Caranthir. Also, what's the purpose of this new NR cursed knight transforming others into cursed knight if it doesnt change their pt value?

At the top of my mind, i can recall this new version of Dudu (no longer imitates points), Letho Kingslayer and Caranthir. Also, what's the purpose of this new NR cursed knight transforming others into cursed knight if it doesnt change their pt value?

Those are actually pretty strong cards. Both Letho and Dudu can copy strong cards from your opponent or give you a second copy of an allied unit with a powerful effect. Caranthir is used in many decks right now. He can spawn an extra copy of cards like Ge'els, or Ciri, or anything with Order/Last Wish. The Cursed Knight I believe is intended to combo with Forbidden Magic and Sabrina's Inferno, but yes, it's not that great.

This is actually one of the most disappointing changes they made.

In this thread, Vilgefortz and Tibor were mentioned a lot, but unfortunately there's a lot more units, specially golds, that summon or transform other units and might seem useful, but when you realize they only bring the points (sometimes not even that) and not the effect, you wonder why the hell would you need that.

Caranthir is very useful to get a second Imlerith Sabbath, Phoenix or Ruehin

Guys, I hope to don't sound rude, but it's literally written in the description of the effect:
"Deploy: the ability is activated when the card is put in play"
"Summon: [...] (it's not a synonim of "put in play")"

Sorry for the poor translation of the keywords
That is true...

... however the mechanic was not very well thought out in the case of several cards that summon, but really shouldn't.

Using Letho : Kingslayer's deploy ability with Nauzicaa Sergeant on the board does not give Nauzicaa Sergeant boost. Is it a bug or designed that way?

PS : I don't have 10 posts. So had to post first in technical section. Thanks for the guidance.

Or you can mill your opponent, which is apparently possible. Or, even easier, just play Ihuarraquax, summoning Tibor without triggering his deploy ability (also relevant to this thread).

I was actually gonna ask at some point, what is the purpose of Ihuarraquax now? Just putting some more points on a board? Or does the card react with some other synergy?

I crafted him and put him in my deck, played couple of games, realized that the units he pulled didn't perform their Deploy ability, so I took him back out.

It was a lot more fun before when you had to be super careful to make him trigger, and then watch as he potentially blasted 21 points out of your opponent's setup. So satisfying. Even if you lost lol

I crafted him and put him in my deck, played couple of games, realized that the units he pulled didn't perform their Deploy ability, so I took him back out.

It's a double-edged sword. The idea is to use Ihuarraquax either with a strong unit without a deploy ability or try to brick your opponent's unit (or both). To clarify, with strong, I don't necessarily mean high strength, but also a good trigger ability.

It's a double-edged sword. The idea is to use Ihuarraquax either with a strong unit without a deploy ability or try to brick your opponent's unit (or both). To clarify, with strong, I don't necessarily mean high strength, but also a good trigger ability.

Ahhhh that makes more sense now. So you put as much points you can from your side, and draw one of the opponent's best cards in order to sabotage their play at the same time.

I forgot it also draws from your opponent lol

Only caveat I see is that the unit you want to force your opponent to draw, you're kind of counting on the fact that it's not in their hand already.

What's the deal with Caranthir? Why can he only spawn a useless copy of a card? I had this grand idea of playing Glustyworp twice, but all he does is spawn it and nothing then happens? Same as the stupid situation with Tibor, whereby a card is summoned but its' power is nerfed.

GJ, CDPR!

Not necessarily useless. If you spawn a copy of of a botchling and the enemy doesn't kill him immediately you can use his order to switch him to a full health lubberkin and back to a full health botchling again. It's a good way to distract an enemy with potentially dangerous cards.

What's the deal with Caranthir?

Caranthir, Vilgefortz, Ihuarraquax and maybe another I am forgetting, they all summon a unit unto the board. As stated, summoned units do not trigger their deploy ability. This can be used as an advantage with Vilgefortz and Ihuarraquax, but can also backfire for strong units without a deploy ability. And that's exactly where Caranthir is for: copying a strong unit without a deploy ability, for example Ciri: Dash, Phoenix, Yennefer: Conjurer, Ge'els, etc. You get the point. PS. thread merged.

Caranthir, Vilgefortz, Ihuarraquax and maybe another I am forgetting, they all summon a unit unto the board. As stated, summoned units do not trigger their deploy ability. This can be used as an advantage with Vilgefortz and Ihuarraquax, but can also backfire for strong units without a deploy ability. And that's exactly where Caranthir is for: copying a strong unit without a deploy ability, for example Ciri: Dash, Phoenix, Yennefer: Conjurer, Ge'els, etc. You get the point. PS. thread merged.

I'm not a particular stupid being and didn't realise this originally; yes, I've used the card since to copy Ge'els and that low-unit-killing dragon, so I understand it now - but is this covered in the intro? Or are a good number of new players, the CDPR target audience with this new game, who perhaps don't bother spending time offering forum feedback, just quitting because they think it's stupid/broken?

I was just pointing out from my point of view that it is yet another complexity that really offers little value - same for all the cards you mentioned. The fact you can use Ihuarra to summon Tibor who then DOESN'T summon a card, because of this ridiculous mechanic, shows how over-complex and broken it is.

but is this covered in the intro? Or are a good number of new players, the CDPR target audience with this new game, who perhaps don't bother spending time offering forum feedback, just quitting because they think it's stupid/broken?

The tutorial is maybe too basic. But at the same time, you don't want to flood new users with every mechanic and rule. Most things can be discovered through trial and error, like with most CCG.

because of this ridiculous mechanic, shows how over-complex and broken it is.

Overly complex? Not really. Was it necessary? As in, does it add any interesting new strategies? Maybe not. However, it could be something that can be explored in further expansions.

Yes. If she's sent to the Graveyard, she'll stay there.

Regis' ability will repeat each time units are destroyed, so, in this example, only once more, since all the cows would be destroyed in the first wave.
I didn't want to create another thread for this so can you tell me will Caranthir effect cause card deploy ability to trigger.

For example if I use Caranthir to copy Dandelion who has deploy ability to draw one card. Will new spawned card trigger this deploy effect ?

I didn't want to create another thread for this so can you tell me will Caranthir effect cause card deploy ability to trigger.

For example if I use Caranthir to copy Dandelion who has deploy ability to draw one card. Will new spawned card trigger this deploy effect ?
I've not used that card personally, but, from what I understand, it would summon a 1-power copy of a unit to the board; however, this would not trigger the copy's deploy ability, since summoned cards are not considered 'played'.

I've not used that card personally, but, from what I understand, it would summon a 1-power copy of a unit to the board; however, this would not trigger the copy's deploy ability, since summoned cards are not considered 'played'.
Well card effect says spawn not summon ,spawn adds card to game it doesn't summon exisiting card from other place. So is spawned unit still not considered as " played" ?

Well card effect says spawn not summon
It says both, actually. After spawning, the card is summoned.
Caranth.jpg

Well card effect says spawn not summon ,spawn adds card to game it doesn't summon exisiting card from other place. So is spawned unit still not considered as " played" ?
The card effect says both.
It first spawns the card, which means that a copy is created and nothing more. And that spawned card is then summoned to the board.

Top Bottom