super OP Eldain Trap card strategy on how to beat it

+
need strategy suggestions on how to beat almost impossible to beat Eldain trap card. I've tried mosters, nifgaard, elf factions and all got demolished and i can find only 1 youtube video on how to beat it (yeah only 1 and the guy playing Eldain sucks there!!!). Anyone has any strategy on how to beat it? sounds like I have to build very custom deck just to beat it. obviously, people play the same decks so the same strategy can beat it.

I found it vulnerable to bleeding if you won the 1st round, but with remark not to give him a card advantage.

Because you are unable to beat Eldain doesn't mean he is OP (or super OP, for that matter). Eldain has never been top tier and anything broken (with Eldain) has long since been nerfed.

Eldain is usually easy to beat by pushing round 1 and bleeding round 2. You need to know which traps the opponent will play. Most of the time, the order is: Incinerate, Crushing (when there are enough units on the board) and Horn near the end (which is actually usually a mistake, btw). The opponent will want to save Pitfall for the final round and replay it with Iorveth. So, bleed it out of him and win the game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Eldain can be really deadly on a 10-card R3, if he has his 4 leader charges.

Like it's been said, it's best to try and bleed them R2, because they'll try to save all the charges for R3 and they probably wont have enough traps to transform. Also keep in mind if he played Aelirenn R1 or most likely it will be an extra 5 pts when he turns all traps on R3.

Most Eldain players will use Pitfall and Iorveth Pitfall on the last 2 turns. If you have specials like lacerate, or any damage or boost special, leave those for last and the pitfall will brick and you can laugh at their face.

Don't pass. Insist on R1 being your round and aggressively try to win it. Aggressively bleed R2 until traps + leader charges come out. Typically if you know you cannot handle a certain strategy for a given match-up this is the approach. Force it out before the game deciding round.

You may not need to force this approach to completion. Most people playing in MU's where they know their "go-to" strategy will beat the other deck will see you know it too and also press the issue to prevent the bleed (or bait the bleed, depending on MU and draws). So even if you cannot pull it off you may be able to force out whatever they're relying upon and get out of rounds. In other words, the cat and mouse game gains more complexity against good players. The nuances of how aggressively you push and/or get out of rounds becomes more important. The best way to get a handle on that is experience.

In terms of traps... the advice above as a general rule is sound. The only caveat is good players will also deviate from those norms (because they know you know they ideally play them a certain way). So never assume traps are going down in a predictable order. Again, reading those scenarios properly comes from experience.

In addition to what was said here, I have no bleeding in my deck, but still usually win against a trap deck by trying to read the cards, the opponent plays. There's a high chance to play the "right" cards (those you don't need for R3). Also, don't be afraid of losing cards to a trap. Get used to the opponent's playing style during R1. Don't play any cards that need complex combos or multi-card engines. Eldain means a maximum of 20 points and I doubt you will see a trap deck using all 4 charges plus horn in R1. Learn what traps exist and how they will help your opponent in the very situation. And think about finishers. For example, carefully using the graveyard, Skellige's Eist often allows for a 21 point move on the very last turn. But also some MO decks and ST decks can manage a high point finisher.

And accept that no deck will be able to beat everything everytime. If you beat trap decks at a 50% rate, that's totally fine.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@tulamide Eheh, when we are talking about 'bleeding' here, its not the bleeding mechanic on Gwent, but a slang in card games, which means force your opponent to use his good cards or disrupt his strategy (like when the opponent likes long rounds)

Another advice i have gainst Eldain traps, is that deathwish works pretty well, its not infallible but it usually helps when your opponent's trap destroys your units, to generate more units (Ancient Foglet or Harpy) or destroy his (Manticore or Rothfiend).

@tulamide Eheh, when we are talking about 'bleeding' here, its not the bleeding mechanic on Gwent, but a slang in card games, which means force your opponent to use his good cards or disrupt his strategy (like when the opponent likes long rounds)
Oh, I see! I wasn't aware of this slang, but I use that "bleeding" a lot, esp. against trap decks!

thanks for all the suggestions, it's insane you know when to "bleed" eldain and all. I would have never thought of that. anyways, playing thronebreaker now.

Top Bottom