Superior Griffin gear character level requirement (PC version)

+
Superior Griffin gear character level requirement (PC version)

So I picked up the superior Griffin armor (chest, boot, glove, trouser) diagrams and saved the game in patch 1.06. I saved and exited while standing near the smiths in Kaer Trolde. I loaded patch 1.07, started up the game and crafted the armor pieces only to find the character level requirement is 26. However, on multiple websites and in youtube videos it shows the superior items requiring level 23 and I'm level 23. Is the character level requirement a patch 1.07 change or a bug? I didn't see anything about it in the patch notes at GoG.com. I had to reload the 1.06 pre-crafting saved game file and continue playing with the enhanced gear equipped.

Edit:
The stat values on the items are different in my 1.07 game as compared to what is show on the web. Websources:
- http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/superior-griffin-gear/attachment/superior-griffin-set/
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVI_1GezQJs
- http://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/Diagram+Superior+Griffin+Armor

Last edited:
I have griffin weapons and i'm currently lvl 15. After the 1.07 update my weapons requirements are now level 18 and I can't use them anymore.
I have to buy new swords and I can't compare anymore. That option is gone for me. I decided to craf sme and so far every smith/armorer I go to it just says "Wrong Craftsman".

Seems they changed several requirements and they were all raised. WTF?!?! I didn't see any explanation as to why.. Anyone?

@I_cellout :
I am seeing the same 1.07 requirements for the Enhanced Griffin swords that you encountered. I haven't compared the new and old stat values but if CDPR is consistent in their changes then the stat values have changed as well.

@ztoka :
I didn't see anything in the patch notes about these changes.

Edit:
Just figured I would check the master crafted requirements. In patch 1.07 the armor pieces require level 34. However, the pre-1.07 armor pieces require level 31.

Last edited:
Yep.

I wish they had simply said something before, but then again, the backlash would be brutal -- Hell, its easier for them to absorb the backlash this way. lol Smart-move CD Projekt.

In the end, I'm happy the gear is sorta gated at higher-levels and feels slightly unobtainable.

As it stands, ALL Witcher-Gear is just too strong anyway; Witcher-gear basically made everything else you find useless because of the scaling-loot on drops/ treasure chests.

In addition, I really think Witcher swords (steel/ silver) look extremely plain and bland. I always felt wrong not using the COOLER looking steel/silver swords from drops because the sheathe and handles look so-epic by comparison to Witcher-blades.

Anywayz, I'm on my 2nd play through, Death-March on PC.

- I was lv 18 using Enchanced Griffin Gear this Saturday [I found a lv15 steel-sword, and replace lv13 griffin steel); the patch notification came through on steam while I was playing via 2pm-ish Est, closed my game. Updated via patch, re-opened, noticed my Griffin Swords and gear were astronomically stronger and noticed the LV change, and I was like... Dang, not yet again, wayyyyyyy too strong now.

I just feel bad that my I can almost 3-shot enemies in Velen.

As I understand it the stats were rebalanced in line with the Wolf gear. Having that sprung on you so suddenly isn't nice though.

It was annoying to me to not be able to use the Enhanced Griffin Swords after 1.07 while being in level 15, but I coped with that quite fast. You can find nice replacements when looting, of course the Witcher swords deal more damage, but if you can't use them because they were part of the balance changes, there is no use to complain about it, just level up until you can use them again.

I disasembled them to get the greater runes I put in them and then used them in other swords. Once I reach the level to use them I'll craft it again. No big deal to me and they aren't expensive to craft either.

@dumaraz:
I completely disagree with your sentiment in that purposefully omitting such an important change is a good idea. The devs will incur player wrath regardless. At least if it were in the patch notes *many/most* players would have the option of pushing their leveling before loading the patch or eat the change with both eyes open. Instead this feels like the developers purposefully duped their customer base which will have a long lasting negative taste in the mouths of the paying customer. I was going to recommend this game to others just because of CDPR's position on DRM. However, my recommendation will come with a warning and explanation about how this patch was handled. Friends don't let friends get duped.

I was in a very lucky position in that I could just use existing gear and continue leveling until I can wear the upgrades. However, if I had been caught like many others where I was suddenly without existing gear/weapons I can't say that I would have over looked the issue.

@blackbishop86:
Maybe you are accustomed to being taken advantage of, thus you don't complain, make your voice heard, speak your mind, or defend your time and entertainment $$. There is no disrespect intended in my statement. My $$ and time are valuable to me and I'm not shy about standing up for myself. Even if the changes were because of rebalancing, the devs should have provided the information in the patch notes at a minimum. The "Surprise!!! We pissed in your Cheerios!... Ha Ha Ha... Go make a fresh bowl... LoL" approach is bad for business in the end.

@ghoultek
:areukiddingme:
I don't complain about this change because that won't solve anything... because there is nothing to solve. Instead of spending my time griping here I just played the game and got the right level after a couple of hours and didn't even notice the difference between the swords due to the flow of the game. Now the problem is solved, and it wasn't even a problem for me to begin with.

I can understand the console players being upset due to the framerate loss they got after the latest patch, but getting worked up because of this?

Bishop,
I don't think you fully understand the predicament some players are in when the patch is loaded. For example, the Superior Griffin armor level requirement went from 23 to 26. If I had upgraded my items prior to loading patch 1.07 my character would be completely naked. I could have been 20-30 quests beyond the point of crafting the upgrade from enhanced to superior in patch 1.06. Loading up to a naked character who doesn't have gear to equip and play makes for a very frustrating experience. Some might not have incremental saves so there might not be a way of going back to a point prior to the upgrade. The problem might not have been so easily solved for everyone. I was fortunate to not upgrade my items before loading the patch so I could continue along with the enhanced set. However, I only discovered the difference in level requirement when I:
- loaded patch 1.07
- upgraded my armor
- crafted upgraded glyphs/runes
- exited the armor smith dialog
- found Geralt in his knickers standing there looking quite stupid
- opened my inventory to find my armor could not be equipped

I immediately reloaded my patch 1.06 incremental saved game file and continued questing from there.

If people will complain/gripe about supposed exploits or developer over-sights, to make the developer aware, then the purpose of this thread is just the same. I'm sure many of players would call the infinite money making methods exploits or dev over-sights. They weren't documented by the devs in the patch notes, players just discovered them and brought them to light here in the forums and on various websites. Are you going to tell all those players to not gripe, "because there is nothing to solve"? I have my doubts. Good luck witcher.

@ghoultek

You can disagree, sure... But gamers by nature are complain whores just cause, we so many forums and ways to do-so.

IF, it was in the patch-notes, there would be millions of threads about people crying with push-back as to why they were changing anything at all with regards to gear-lv-requirements.

You're response about many people 'eating the change without complaints', or just plain 'pushing their lv before loading the patch' is BULLOCKS...

That's the utopia of human decency which just doesn't exist in *most* gamers; time and time again, with forums, reddit, other videogame sites [Ign, Kotaku] etc, a whole lot tears would be woven over those notes...

I can't believe you wouldn't recommend such an amazing game because patch-notes omitted level requirement increase on gear, with ALL OF THE OTHER AMAZING requests granted... LMAO... I tell ye.. this amount of sensitivity to *change* is mostly personal problems with a lot of gamers, and its telling sadly. I think the emotional response from many as per usual, is immature.

My opinion sure, but good-lord; they put so-much work into this patch alone; they took away fall-dmg signifactantly and made jump/roll tumble *automatic*... WTF, why? Cause people cry, cry and cry more about the dumbest, tiny things... Meanwhile, so many important bugs to fix, but they caved and catered where they really shouldn't have.

Now silly things like jumping is BORING and no-longer engaging since it has minimal to no-risk at all. Jump/tumbling was kind-of fun, it had risk and it reminded me of 'Legend of Zelda' on N64 or Gamecube, roll/tumble to eliminate fall-dmg entirely.

It's a hell of a lot less crying now that the patch is here, and SOME people are unaffected regardless [such as me being lucky] while some others are discovering the hard way, or less likely to vocalize with so many other treats the patch focused on.

Top Bottom