Survey: Player-Avatar relationships in "Cyberpunk 2077"

+
Hi!

I am a new member. Currently, I am studying Game Design at Cologne Game Lab at the University of Applied Sciences Cologne, Germany.

I am interested in Player-Avatar relationships in "Cyberpunk 2077". I am trying to write an article on this topic. I have created a survey for my research purpose.

It would be appreciated if you will participate and share this survey.[link below]
https://ib7kffwe9jl.typeform.com/to/Nc5fHsso

I believe your participation will not only help my research but also contribute to the game design process in the future.

To moderators: it would be kind of you if you create a thread for this purpose.

@rhtoor Post moved to a new thread. Survey projects like this don't deserve to get buried in massive threads. :)

(I would participate but I've not played the game.)

I've completed the survey but some of the questions I just couldn't get, like:

1) I would be heartbroken if I have lost my avatar.

What do you mean? Lost - how? Lost my saves without a possibility to recreate the avatar, or avatar dies due to the game story?

2) This avatar has its own feelings

???

3) This avatar is autonomous and acts on its own.

Is it related to game mechanics, or game story, or what? I can answer both yes and no to it, like of course mechanically I control it and it's not autonomous, but I don't feel enough role playing possibilities in this particular game, and in most story episodes I feel like V is more premade hero with defined personality rather than my own flexible avatar.

4) When I log out of the game, this avatar has its own life.

???

And so on. It seems like you had not actually played this game and have a very dim view about how it works and what type of connection exists between player and avatar. Or you just test the participants of survey against schizophrenia :D Why tf should I think that avatar in single player game has it's own life while the game is off?
Sorry but most of survey's questions are kind of beyond me)

Completed, thank you

I've completed the survey but some of the questions I just couldn't get, like:

1) I would be heartbroken if I have lost my avatar.

What do you mean? Lost - how? Lost my saves without a possibility to recreate the avatar, or avatar dies due to the game story?

2) This avatar has its own feelings

???

3) This avatar is autonomous and acts on its own.

Is it related to game mechanics, or game story, or what? I can answer both yes and no to it, like of course mechanically I control it and it's not autonomous, but I don't feel enough role playing possibilities in this particular game, and in most story episodes I feel like V is more premade hero with defined personality rather than my own flexible avatar.

4) When I log out of the game, this avatar has its own life.

???

And so on. It seems like you had not actually played this game and have a very dim view about how it works and what type of connection exists between player and avatar. Or you just test the participants of survey against schizophrenia :D Why tf should I think that avatar in single player game has it's own life while the game is off?
Sorry but most of survey's questions are kind of beyond me)
The purpose of surveys is psychological research and some questions should be beyond you lol. You have answered your own questions with this post

Last edited:
Completed. Wasn't entirely sure what they meant by avatar creation, the initial design or the in-game clothing etc, took it to mean initial design. And if that confusion is all the psychological profiling they need from me, it's a fair cop :giggle:

Thank you all for your responses!

It's true that something may need to be cleared. I am apologizing for not providing proper details about the survey questions.

It's true that it is more falls into some sort of psychological profiling. So, some questions may create confusion due to technical features and so on. The questions are more emotional and psychological than technical. It's about your feelings towards your avatar. Due to different perceptions, sometimes we like to immerse ourselves in the game world. Thus, create our own feelings around them, even technically those features are unavailable due to technical constraints.

For instance, losing your avatar means you have to create them from the beginning (looks, skills, or clothing, etc.) due to loss of saved files or while starting a new game. So the question could be rephrased that - would you emotionally felt sad or upset to start from the beginning? Many gamers may feel sad to lose their avatar and don't want to start from the beginning. Many gamers may not feel that way, rather they would start a new whenever they want.

It also applies to other questions, it's more about how do you perceive your avatar emotionally and psychologically. Even though technically all the games have their limitations, our emotions and imaginations don't.

So, it doesn't matter if the game doesn't provide perfect features like a real-time cycle or proper expression of emotions(still not a single game can provide such perfect experience due to technical limitations), please fill out the survey from your perceptions, imagination, and emotions towards your avatar.

If you have further confusion regarding the survey, I will be there to help you with it!

Top Bottom