Swag Jacket Guy and the Walker...

+
Swag Jacket Guy and the Walker...

I've been saving this one for a rainy day. It's raining, so here it is:

We have all seen this concept art already. It's not new. But as it's concept art, that means it's a window into what CDPR and Mike have in store for us.

So, I get Swaggy's style, and I love the glowing hexagonal markings on his neck and chest. My best guess is that the cuff around his wrist is some sort of like to that rifle, (seeing as how the lights on both of them match.) So, smartgun link. Sure. No problems there.

It's the walker I want to ask about.

WTF is it?

Who owns it?

Why is no-one wigging out about it apart from Swag's?

It's got no visable weaponry that I have noticed, so what is it for, what does it do? (It's not exactly the sort of thing you nip to the shops in is it...)

...or, is this all braindance? The two figures in the middle ground are blurred and translucent, so has Swaggy done a bit too much psychotropics and is he having a seriously bad come-down?

The first thing that comes to my attention is the swag jacket. It looks as if fashion in 2077 will be important....this is cool and gives me hope that the wardrobe selections will be diverse....I like the punks in the background, wonder if they will be player characters or non playing characters.

Theres alot to consider in this pic and it will be interesting to see what others say about.

I think that fashion indeed should be important. I still remember reading the Eurosource book, talking about class and atyle. And loved that.

I like Chris idea about braindance and the picture. It should mean that both real and cyber worlds are intimately linked, each one having real time influence upon the other.

Swaggy is dead. R.I.P. as you say.

I consider that a broad hint as to the future of both Swag and Walkers.

And for the best.

The white pigeons caught my eye more than anything else. Those, and the American flag. The flag because I wasn't sure it was still used in Night City; you'd think the corporations would fly their own colors, and the pigeons because while there are some natural animals, white pigeons don't exactly exist naturally in the Cyberpunk 2020 world, living wild in a city - hell you don't see white pigeons in a city today - so those are most likely clones. I do get the John Woo reference though, if that's what the artist was going for.

The swag doesn't surprise me. It's Style dude, you make of it what you will. The walker... Well, it's not something we came across much in 2020, but we're past the third edition and fourth war, perhaps the corporations have those roaming the streets now. Looks impressive. One well placed shot from a Mark II would still cause a catastrophic chain reaction in it's systems and that's that.

When I initially saw the concept art, at a glance, I thought that walker was ENORMOUS. Like, Battletech / mecha / building sized.

But, seeing it against the blurry peds in the background, looks to be about 15 feet tall, give or take. So, large-ish ACPA-sized.

It IS interesting that no one else except Swaggy seems to give a toss that there's an ACPA lumbering down the street, which suggests Swaggy has been up to something naughty, and it's coming for him, specifically.

The first thing that came to my mind was "Why Walkers?" Bipedal walkers have always struck me as an unnecessarily complex design, and I really don't see them ever being invented as more than a novelty item.

And braindance is a possibility, but I saw that as an image reflected in glass (the prism effects at the top right) - the walker, the other people, are actually behind him.

It IS interesting that no one else except Swaggy seems to give a toss that there's an ACPA lumbering down the street, which suggests Swaggy has been up to something naughty, and it's coming for him, specifically.
Hm. Another thought: maybe the walker isn't coming after him. Maybe HE was waiting for the walker; maybe that's his target.

I still find it interesting that the other peds aren't reacting, like ACPA are a common sight, whatever part of town they're in.

Definitely commonplace.

If he's looking at the walker, not a reflection, then it's his target. If he's looking at the reflection, he thinks the walker is targeting him.

On the other hand, maybe it's just smoke and mirrors, signifying nothing.

The first thing that comes to my attention is the swag jacket. It looks as if fashion in 2077 will be important....this is cool and gives me hope that the wardrobe selections will be diverse....I like the punks in the background, wonder if they will be player characters or non playing characters.

Theres alot to consider in this pic and it will be interesting to see what others say about.
Style over substance FTW.

The white pigeons...
I think the term you are after is Doves. And yes, I seriously doubt they are legit.

When I initially saw the concept art, at a glance, I thought that walker was ENORMOUS. Like, Battletech / mecha / building sized.

But, seeing it against the blurry peds in the background, looks to be about 15 feet tall, give or take. So, large-ish ACPA-sized.

Look at the buildings its next to. It reaches the mid way up the 3rd floor so its about 35ft high. The cockpit would be about the size of a seated person.

Definitely commonplace.

If he's looking at the walker, not a reflection, then it's his target. If he's looking at the reflection, he thinks the walker is targeting him.

On the other hand, maybe it's just smoke and mirrors, signifying nothing.

This is my point. What is it's significance, if any at all?

Look at the buildings its next to. It reaches the mid way up the 3rd floor so its about 35ft high. The cockpit would be about the size of a seated person.
Because of shading / lighting, it isn't clear to me how close or far the walker is from the building in the background, or the peds in front of it.

I think we can agree that it is at least BIG, if not outright massive.

Silly Swaggy. Should've brought a bigga can opener.

Oh well. It's like Ripperjack sez: dead guys is parts, right?

"Dead is dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."

I like to think that after all the Big Names passed in CorpWarFour, Ripperjack crawled out of the mulch, looked around, looted the three nicest pieces of tech he saw and stole Johnny's ride before riding away. Laughing.

"Dead is dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."

I like to think that after all the Big Names passed in CorpWarFour, Ripperjack crawled out of the mulch, looked around, looted the three nicest pieces of tech he saw and stole Johnny's ride before riding away. Laughing.

From a 2 KT nuke?

It's a nice thought...

Because of shading / lighting, it isn't clear to me how close or far the walker is from the building in the background, or the peds in front of it.

That flag is attached to the buidling and it's blowing in front of the walker. The walker is between the two buildings.

The nuke went off underneath Arasaka Tower and took out the Corp Center. I don't know how much or if AT was shielded/hardened or if the rest of the Corp Center was.

Hell, Morgan probably survived and he was right on top.

Of course, by 2077 he's over 100 years old. Solosicle?

At 2 KT, that bomb is between a sixth and an eighth of the yield of "Little Boy". Littleboy leveled everything within a mile of the detonation.

Admittedly, "Little Boy" detonated at about 1,900ft, so it's effective blast radius would have been much larger.
Now, while a subterranian detonation would have a reduced area it will damage, it's shockwave will be more intense against hardened targets.

By my estimate, the following buiildings would be rubble:
Microtech, Petrochem, West City Tower, WNS, 10th Street Centre, Night City Stock Exchange, Trade Centre, The West Plaza Executive Tower and, (ironically,) Militech.
Those are just the buildings next to Arasaka Tower

The blast would have also cause critical damage to most buildings within a few hundred meters. They would have had to be pulled down as they would be structurally unsound. So thats most of the Corporate Plaza as well as a good chunk of the Banking District.

Also, if Morgan survived and wen't full borg, he could have installed longevity module and his 'natural' life expectancy would have dramatically increased.
(I would love to hear rumours of his survival. maybe even a few hint's he did. But no hard evidence. Just hints and suspicions...)

At 2 KT, that bomb is between a sixth and an eighth of the yield of "Little Boy". Littleboy leveled everything within a mile of the detonation.

Admittedly, "Little Boy" detonated at about 1,900ft, so it's effective blast radius would have been much larger.
Now, while a subterranian detonation would have a reduced area it will damage, it's shockwave will be more intense against hardened targets.

By my estimate, the following buiildings would be rubble:
Microtech, Petrochem, West City Tower, WNS, 10th Street Centre, Night City Stock Exchange, Trade Centre, The West Plaza Executive Tower and, (ironically,) Militech.
Those are just the buildings next to Arasaka Tower

The blast would have also cause critical damage to most buildings within a few hundred meters. They would have had to be pulled down as they would be structurally unsound. So thats most of the Corporate Plaza as well as a good chunk of the Banking District.

Also, if Morgan survived and wen't full borg, he could have installed longevity module and his 'natural' life expectancy would have dramatically increased.
(I would love to hear rumours of his survival. maybe even a few hint's he did. But no hard evidence. Just hints and suspicions...)

As to the destruction caused by the nuke, I give you this:
http://www.cyberpunk.net/forum/en/threads/1201-The-canon-conclusion-to-the-4rth-Corporate-War

As to the image in question... I erally hate the idea of the walkers and really they just seemed goofy from the start. I include a select few on my site, but the reality is they are pretty horrible from every logical standpoint. They are slow, awkward, have insanely easily exploitable weaknesses, and their only real advantage is their ability to traverse really uneven rocky terrain... but their weight prevents them from moving on soft or unstable ground. So they are just kind of useless all around. The one is the image especially so, as the long thin legs and oversized body would be pretty damn vulnerable, and the entire design would offer no real tactical advantage in any situation, particularly not in a city.

The only conclusion I can reach is that swaggy is having a hallucination brought on by Cyberpsychosis.

Regardless, I really hope the walker does not actually appear in the game, as its just bloody silly.

Well... that's kind of an assumption, innit?

For all we know, this is some wiztech that's been in development in the Crystal Palace; fast as a cheetah, and nimble as a ballerina.

Even if that is the case, it isn't manifested in the walker in the image, which we can see has pretty slim, skeletal legs, definitely a weak point.

There isn't a whole lot of ways that a walker has an advantage over wheeled or tracked vehicles... the only one being terrain, but it sacrifices power, armor, and speed for that... because regardless of all else, the legs have to be able to not only hold up the body, but also move...

There isn't a whole lot of ways that a walker has an advantage over wheeled or tracked vehicles... the only one being terrain, but it sacrifices power, armor, and speed for that... because regardless of all else, the legs have to be able to not only hold up the body, but also move...
*nods*

I'd agree with that.

I still want to know why Swaggy is the only one reacting to giganto-machine, walking down the street.

Top Bottom