Swallow Potion Poll

+

Swallow Potion Poll

• Total voters
Swallow Potion Poll

This is a message to all who cares about this series.
The game will come out soon enough, i dont know how good exactly it will be, but most likely we are about to face the last Geralt's big adventure.
So i want you to take a look at this.

What exactly do you see? It's more than just a "healing potion", it's a symbol, a frontier. Some people think that CDP crossed the line, every single change after that line are considered in a light of making game even more dumbed down for casual players. The red myst of the new design got through the minds and hearts, irrational part of human mind won, invisible but impregnable barrier have been put between the game and some players.
So i want people to be honest and tell what kind of potion you like better. Put some people minds at rest.

Attachments

• AdHhsAg.png
    AdHhsAg.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 91
People already made complaints about this, and I'm sure there was probably even more complaining about it over on the Polish side (They tend to be even more specific about this kind of lore/consistency), but honestly I don't see it changing.

It's obviously a design change, Swallow being red makes it easier for newcomers to immediately identify it as a "healing potion". I don't agree with it, I think it's completely stupid (I never had any issues understanding Swallow was a vitality regen potion in the previous games), but it's their decision. With the various complaints over the last 6+ months and we see in the latest footage that it is STILL red, it's obvious they have no intention of changing it back to normal, and as silly as I think it is, it's not really a huge deal.

People already made complaints about this, and I'm sure there was probably even more complaining about it over on the Polish side (They tend to be even more specific about this kind of lore/consistency), but honestly I don't see it changing.

It's obviously a design change, Swallow being red makes it easier for newcomers to immediately identify it as a "healing potion". I don't agree with it, I think it's completely stupid (I never had any issues understanding Swallow was a vitality regen potion in the previous games), but it's their decision. With the various complaints over the last 6+ months and we see in the latest footage that it is STILL red, it's obvious they have no intention of changing it back to normal, and as silly as I think it is, it's not really a huge deal.

I got your point and i agree with you.

The TW2 design was not particularly imaginative, and I see no reason for being attached to it. It's certainly no offense against lore to change it, or did Sapkowski ever mention that this potion had a distinctive color?

Speaking as a private citizen, not a moderator, I have to say that accusations that this in any way represents a dumbing down of the game are at best pointless. I won't say what I think they are at worst, I'd have to moderate myself.

Last edited:
The TW2 design was not particularly imaginative, and I see no reason for being attached to it. It's certainly no offense against lore to change it, or did Sapkowski ever mention that this potion had a distinctive color?

The only line in a book about swallow potion was something like:
"There is no bird more beautiful than swallow, the messanger of spring, the symbol of new life. Even the evil renegade-mages, who invented the potion recepies for witchers were amazed by this bird and named their regeneration potion after it"
I mean, making it cyan was at least, well, original? And the red potion was the other one, the one that actually heals you instantly with huge ammount of health.
And i am not accusing anyone, and i dont believe that "casual" players are dumb. It's just a thing with a modern game designs that SOMETIMES makes you feel like someone trying to walk you by hand and intentionnaly preventing you from making a mistake. Which is unnecessary, especially in RPG's. Some people are taking it a lot harder than me, i can get by.

Last edited:

I actually couldn't remember if it was a lore thing, so I also had 'consistency' in there.

As you said, there's no particular reason to be majorly attached to it and as I said, it's certainly not some huge deal, but I just can't see the reasoning behind the change beyond wanting Swallow to be more easily identified as a healing potion which I see as a silly change. Breaks the consistency of the previous games for what advantage really? So a few newcomers don't have to read the description on Swallow or get confused? Like, really?

I just don't see the value in the change and it knocks consistency, but it ain't worth kicking a fuss over and it very likely won't change at this point in development.

I...I...
I......

It's a POTION. Just a healing potion.

Not a symbol. Not a marker of dramatic change in game philosophy. If your mind is put at rest by the colour of a potion, it is because you are already nearly asleep. How relaxing!

Sometimes, there aren't two or more sides to every debate. This is one of those times. ENJOY THE RARITY, MY CHILDREN.

On the bright side, we've finally surpassed that whole "What colour should Geralt's hair be?" thread. Go, us.

Ay, reading too deeply into the significance of the colour of a potion seems a bit much. Personally, I like the light, sky-blue of the swallow from the original Witcher, but will they change it back? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited:
I voted for the old cyan, but not that TW2 one... rather the pot graphics from TW1 which were superb designs across the board, with their decanter sheaths suggesting antiquity, extending the sense of the alchemical rituals, and even hinting at a Witchers close relationship with battle proven bottles of vim. Highly memorable altogether, one of those examples of little details adding so much, and dare I say it... the best potions we've ever had in a game.

View attachment 11337 View attachment 11338 View attachment 11339

Just a sample from TW1: Swallow, Blizzard, and White Raffard's decoction (note Raffards also replaces vitality like Swallow, and its Red).

SO the colours aren't really the issue for me, and I've adapted to whatever design a game has thrown at me with no problems, I can imagine some people with poor eyesight would appreciate colour coding and they should be catered for, but I seriously doubt anyone has ever been challenged by a non-standard potion colour palette.

No... I'd say the real problem is that having been given top quality pot graphics in TW1 just to have them cruelly stolen away one night in Vizima, we know what we're missing now, a touch of class provided by the proper receptacle for our libations, instead of the unimaginative replacements which are like drinking fine wine from a coffee mug.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if we are still seeing placeholder graphics for stuff like inventory, wouldn't be the first time a - clever - developer kept the true assets until nearer release.

Attachments

• Potion_Swallow.png
    Potion_Swallow.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Potion_Blizzard.png
    Potion_Blizzard.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Potion_White_Raffards.png
    Potion_White_Raffards.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 76
I doubt theres really any placeholder art in there at this point. They're probably sending the "disc ready" version over to Sony/MS for certification this week or next so that they can

IF I COULD CHOOSE

TW1 potion style it is! TW2 alchemy sucked and i don t want to be reminded by it... not even by the
looks of the potions.

Since there is not a TW1 Swallow (white lightblue) option o go for I DON T CARE.

Just a sample from TW1: Swallow, Blizzard, and White Raffard's decoction (note Raffards also replaces vitality like Swallow, and its Red).

SO the colours aren't really the issue for me, and I've adapted to whatever design a game has thrown at me with no problems, I can imagine some people with poor eyesight would appreciate colour coding and they should be catered for, but I seriously doubt anyone has ever been challenged by a non-standard potion colour palette.

No... I'd say the real problem is that having been given top quality pot graphics in TW1 just to have them cruelly stolen away one night in Vizima, we know what we're missing now, a touch of class provided by the proper receptacle for our libations, instead of the unimaginative replacements which are like drinking fine wine from a coffee mug.

Indeed, I found the potions in Assassins of Kings far too modern in appearance, and a bit uniform. I'm none too wild about what I've seen of the new ones either. I preferred the diversity they had in the original.

Last edited:
I voted for the old cyan, but not that TW2 one... rather the pot graphics from TW1 which were superb designs across the board, with their decanter sheaths suggesting antiquity, extending the sense of the alchemical rituals, and even hinting at a Witchers close relationship with battle proven bottles of vim. Highly memorable altogether, one of those examples of little details adding so much, and dare I say it... the best potions we've ever had in a game.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if we are still seeing placeholder graphics for stuff like inventory, wouldn't be the first time a - clever - developer kept the true assets until nearer release.

What you said, friend. But those Witcher 1 potions sure make me feel nostalgic. :happy:

What you said, friend. But those Witcher 1 potions sure make me feel nostalgic. :happy:

White Gulls the cure for that ailment... here, join me View attachment 11355

@Jeeers; Down some Wives Tears mate, that'll sort ye out View attachment 11356

I've been thinking about it and its true, when I was a new TW1 player the detail on the pots contributed to noticing alchemy, and later its appeal as an essential aspect of being a Witcher and not simply the expected rpg cliché health mechanic. Effects were sketchy and brewing could've been more layered but all in all I enjoyed TW1s alchemy, in no small thanks to the sparkle of those fine decanters.

Screw Gwent cards, I want to collect TW1's crystal vials ! ;)

Attachments

• Potion_White_Gull.png
    Potion_White_Gull.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Potion_Wives_Tears.png
    Potion_Wives_Tears.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom